Erik Cortina is going to do the Backfire challenge

Hah! Views added! They won!
Nah because in the end people will realize what's what. I already said I won't be watching BF's videos anymore. I don't watch alot of Erik's videos either, although I have enjoyed them in the past. After I finish with my family responsibilities I'll probably take a class again with the likes of Scott Reitz, Gabe Suarez and someone who's in the LR arena. I missed going to Chuck MaWhinney's class. But I met some local guys who are LEO snipers and they want to go shooting. So when I can that'll probably happen.

Last edited:
No one was disputing that said that, but that was NOT the challenge Jim set out to do in his video or what EC was trying to do on his. I am not sure what is so hard for you to comprehend.
I'm not sure why it's so hard for anyone to understand that it's pertinent to this discussion. He started the whole deal with that statement so the challenge is in this context.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for anyone to understand that it's pertinent to this discussion. He started the whole deal with that statement so the challenge is in this context.
No one disputes any of the pertinent information. The fact remains that the challenge was set to shoot 100 out of 100 milk jugs at 600Y on both videos.

Yep. One thing is for sure. ECs percentages will be faaaar higher than most.
Yes, Sir!

1711681928306.png

This was not my idea, but an outstanding LRH member shared a correspondence in which someone recommended he should do it with a Savage Axis. That would be a bomb, regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:
Like I said before 100 rounds isn't realistic, especially in one day. The heat alone will negatively affect accuracy. And the test isn't realistic to the goal which is cold bore hits on game. Make a target the size that fits the big game's vitals and then do a coldbore test/ challenge. That type of test I'd agree would be beneficial. And we should test ourselves. I do whenever I can. But I know sitting and shooting 100 rounds doesn't prove jack. It's not realistic to field hunting conditions.
This takes me back 20 to 30 years when some was getting ready for deer season. They would set up a paper plate at 100 yds, if they hit the pate 2 or 3 times they were ready to go. I've had several hunting rifles that shot .7 or better, 3 shot, cold bore then let barrel cool 1 min. and shoot. If I can't hit a paper plate most of the time at whatever range (cold bore) than I need more practice until I can or be a better hunter and get closer. I'm betting that this challenge has a lot of people testing their skills and practicing more. I'm not going to take the 71/2 lb 340 bee and shoot 100 rounds, but the 6.5 Creedmoor or 308 will get some rounds down the tube.

Hey, @xsn10s, someone else is of the same opinion as you. Elk-sized target, one-shot challenge.

Yup that seems much more realistic to me. And then you can alter the target to the game you're going after. I figured a steel target within a given diameter. But the life size target is a better idea. Especially one like that one with the vitals subdued.

Elk-sized target, one-shot challenge.

I did that at a 1000Y a decade ago. It yielded an MT bull elk at 931Y.

I also know a lot of guys here has no problem with that challenge. IIRC, BROZ , his wife, and son (cannot remember his screen name) has 100+ accounted harvest when he was managing a ranch by Townsend, MT.

BROZ also has a video of his gunsmith/hunting buddy (LRH TRGRMAN) that shot a gopher at 1000Y with 300 Berger/.338 LM. Joe Starnes was also did some gunsmith work for me, the rifle that I used to harvest the elk noted above.
I want to put together something similar for a rimfire

Actually it wasn't
The challenge was to shoot 100 out of 100 OUT TO 600
Not all at 600.
You are correct, Sir! I should have typed within 600Y; missed that part. It is still no easy task, and thus the challenge.

Last edited:
Does the challenge perfectly represent long range hunting? NO.
Is it a difficult challenge that will humble the vast majority of shooters? YES
Is humility good or bad? Last time I checked it was good. I'd much rather my hunting partners be humble and underestimate their ability to shoot long range (whatever distance they self-impose) than hunt with somebody who thinks they're God's gift to sniping. Yes some folks are entirely capable and can shoot an elk at 1000 yards. Am I one of them? No. Am I going to tell somebody else if they are or are not one of them? No. Not my business. Regardless of how capable you are at shooting, humility makes a better hunting partner.

In my eyes, this youtube entertainment will bring more humility to a lot of hunters, encourage them to get more range time in, and at the end of the day that's a win in my book regardless of the actual outcome of the challenge.

Does the challenge perfectly represent long range hunting? NO.
Is it a difficult challenge that will humble the vast majority of shooters? YES
Is humility good or bad? Last time I checked it was good. I'd much rather my hunting partners be humble and underestimate their ability to shoot long range (whatever distance they self-impose) than hunt with somebody who thinks they're God's gift to sniping. Yes some folks are entirely capable and can shoot an elk at 1000 yards. Am I one of them? No. Am I going to tell somebody else if they are or are not one of them? No. Not my business. Regardless of how capable you are at shooting, humility makes a better hunting partner.

In my eyes, this youtube entertainment will bring more humility to a lot of hunters, encourage them to get more range time in, and at the end of the day that's a win in my book regardless of the actual outcome of the challenge.
Exactly! Well said, Sir.