electronic scales /powder tricklers

Jimm

in the market for new scale and powder measure.looking at the lyman(one piece,less expensive) vs rcbs(two pieces,mo money)what about it yall? thanks a mill,jimm

I have a Pact (i.e. the RCBS is a green Pact) from about 4-5 years ago. Works well, but a tad slow. Need to get off my duff and box it up and send it to the factory for the upgrade to the newer electronics in the dispenser that make it faster/more accurate.

One thing I keep an eye on w/ mine is that w/ larger charges of extruded powders (for me, 40+gr of Varget, H4350, H4831, IMR4064, etc. such as for a .308 or bigger) it tends to over-throw about 0.2gr... so I just set the desired target weight 0.2-0.3 low, and use the 'Dispense' button to trickle up the occasional one that actually comes out right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The newer electronics and guts are supposed help w/ or take care of that, according to the factory tech on the phone.

HTH,

Monte

milanuk,so you are saying that the current rcbs unit is faster and perhaps a tad more accurate? iwll be loading weights of 70+grs. of extruded. i keep leaning towards the rcbs unit because i'm thinking that if one goes out i will still have the other and can fall back on which ever piece of old equip.it is that failed. jimm

RCBS is putting out a powder scale/dispenser this year that is more like the Lyman 1200 but has the pan in front of the powder hopper on a step-up platform. Should be better than the previous scales.
I use a Vibra-shine electronic powder trickler with an RCBS 10-10 beam scale for loading. The electronic scales are great for some people, but I only weigh bullets and powder on them and leave the accuracy to the 10-10. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like to SEE what the scale is doing!
good shooting!

The new Pact is, yes. Whether or not the new RCBS is updated yet or not... I don't know. The faster/more accurate is relative to the older Pact/RCBS model, and mainly as a response to a) customer requests/complaints and b) the new and improved Lyman 1200DPS II. Relative accuracy/speed btwn the two... I couldn't say.

Monte

Have a old PACT system with the dispenser updated for higher speed. Dispenser is now twice as fast as before. I dispense in the 50-60 grain range and am usually always less than .1 grain accurate. Usually scale hits it perfect, but scale can be off .05. More than enough accuracy for most folks. Even a balance beam is +/- .05. I've been told the Lyman scales are real sensitive (more so than others) to wind currents in your work area. I'm real happy with the PACT and like the two piece system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have the new lyman 1200 and wouldn't trade it for anything! It has good speed and almost every load I have checked ( all of them at first and only a few here and there now ) has been perfectly on the money according to my beam scale. It takes around 20 to 25 seconds for a large load likw 7rum ( 90 + grains per load ) but is still a little faster than by hand I think. On loads such as .243 and 22.250 it is amazingly fast. I have no experience on the RCBS so I cant comment there. I will say I have enjoyed loading a little more since I got my Lyman 1200. I think you would enjoy it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wapiti 13, how long does a 70 to 75 gr. throw take? btw is there any other bbrands besides the rcbs/pact,lyman? what about dillon , do they make a two piece system that communicates?thans for the info, jimm

7rumloader i know that i would because anything will beat my ancient ohaus( almost as old as me ) i'm ready to rejuvenate my reloading and see how far i can go with accurate long range shooting.

I was sceptical at first but now love the ease of pushing a button and letting it do the work for me. I still use my beam from time to time when I am only making up a few test rounds with different powders. If they all work as well as the one I have any brand will be a welcome addition to your bench!

Pact would run in the 20 sec area like the Lyman. The new dispenser (or updated old one)makes time by running at a higher speed until it gets close, than slowing down until it is barely dispensing. Like the Lyman, my loads are usually dead on. I guess it comes down to the best value when you go to buy.

I have had my Pact Electronic dispenser and scale for about 4 years. And I have had no complaints.I leave my scale plugged in all the time and calibrate it a few times a year.
Here are some pix of the system I have worked up for speeding things up. It takes about 10 seconds to dump 90 grains.I press the dispense button and once it starts dispensing I dump roughly 50-80% of the charge.And the trickler finishes it off.If your trickling under 30 grains it doesn't speed up the operation much.

I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend this dispenser.

My brother-in-law has the Lyman one piece and it works good, but it's really too soon to tell how long it will last.
Good luck.
P.S save your money and don't buy the RCBS, your paying a lot of money for green paint.

I thought I would throw in 4 of my favorite cartridges
from left to right,7MMRUM,7MMWSM,260AI,6MMBR.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.