electronic powder dispenser/scale

I disagree to some degree, Mikecr ...
I find that my RCBS CM does drop a .02 grain overcharge on occasion; about ten percent of the time. It never registers final approval to an undercharge. The key is to watch the first digital read indication and wait for it to validate that reading with the second "beep". If there's an overcharge it is revealed in that load verification phase and it's a simple task of pulling out a few kernels to achieve the desired load. But the amount of error in any charge using the CM depends on the powder I'm using. Stick powder offers difference challenges than ball powder. Heck, even with a beam scale I find myself making adjustments to the final weight from time to time when the trickler moves faster than I expected. I don't believe we can reasonably expect scientific laboratory performance out of a digital powder measure and scale at the price the CM 1500 is sold for.

I have a Lyman Gen 5. It is accurate to .1 grain. Accurate enough for my use. It has a nice readout screen, and I especially like the auto rerun. Punch in Rerun, then type the numbers in one time and hit enter, and vi`ola it starts to dump the next charge as soon as you set the little tray down on the scale under the dispenser tube.

It is simple to clean. It has other modes, and a manual trickle. I like it and would not trade it.

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

I have had an RCBS Chargemaster for over 10 years and found that it works quite well. I routinely QC my weights using a beam scale and have found the digital readout of the weighed charges to coincide with the beam scale. I want all my weights within 1/10 of a grain. Overthrowing can be helped by sticking a short length of a platic soda straw in the end of the throw tube. I keep a small brass measure handy to quickly removeva few kernels if I do get an overthrow, maybe, 1 in 20 charges.

Thanks, SavageGuy. I will see what RCBS does about my Chargemaster before I go back in the market. I appreciate your input on the Lyman.

Greyfox, thank you for your input. I saw the straw trick on youtube and thought it is a good technique in preventing overcharging.

I have heard of using a drop tube to settle the grains better inside the case. I may try that. Thanks for the tip.

I have a lyman gen6 and a hornday lock n load.

There is no comparison. The lyman gen6 is so much better than the hornday. My gen6 is smoother, more accurate, and it warms up in 3 mins. I never had an overcharge with it. The hornday over charges frequently and I have to change the speed with some powders to try and fix the over charges

The Lyman is selling for about $100.00 less than the Chargemaster. Has anyone compaired those two units?
Paul

I have played around with a friends chargemaster. It is better than the hornday. Lyman gen6 also is in a smaller design which takes up less bench space. It has an extra large screen that is easy to read. I bought mine for 189.99 at my lgs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.