Electronic Earmuffs

I started with Peltors and have used Pro Ears, now I have the Caldwell cheapies. With all of them I use foam ear plugs while using the muffs. I have so much hearing damage from the Army and training LE that I pretty much have to. I just turn up the volume all the way up and I can hear things. When firing I have the benefit of ear plugs and the muff stopping sound getting in from around the ears. YMMV.

I use the Walker Razor electronic earbuds when I hunt. I'm running a 7 mag with a brake and I have no problems. At the range I use the Caldwell electronic earmuffs with not problems.

I started with Peltors and have used Pro Ears, now I have the Caldwell cheapies. With all of them I use foam ear plugs while using the muffs. I have so much hearing damage from the Army and training LE that I pretty much have to. I just turn up the volume all the way up and I can hear things. When firing I have the benefit of ear plugs and the muff stopping sound getting in from around the ears. YMMV.
I also double up. Same reason, as I've already lost some hearing and want to preserve what I have. At our club, people always looks at me like I'm crazy but I wished I had done it years ago. We use Game Ears Razors.

I have been using https://www.soundgearhearing.com/collections/instant-fit
In ear for years. I have hearing loss and wear hearing aids daily, but when hunting i wear these. They provide an enhanced ability to hear animals moving around me but provide adequate protection when i fire my gun. If at the range, i wear these in addition to my over the ear muffs. That way it provides great protection when firing but i can pull the ear muffs down on my neck to talk in between firing sessions and if i forget to put the muffs back on, i still have a high level of protection with these in the ear electronic plugs. They are expensive, but i have had these for years and they serve as great protection and i can hear great with them in until the noise triggers the protection.

WOW Quite Texan's post was an eye opener.
So the way I understand it there is no muzzle brake that will not destroy your hearing even with shooting muffs?
Did I read that right?
You guys that use brakes get used to saying,WHAT,can you repeat that a little louder?
I'm almost completely deaf in my left ear and at 50% in right ear using sound protection all my life.
Thanks Ricpowel I am going to look into Soundgear.
Old Rooster

I suggest trying a cheaper pair to begin with, then step up once you know how you'll like them. The cheaper set can always be held on to as a spare or loaner pair.

Howard Leight Impact Sport is my go to (~$50). They are fine for outdoor use behind the gun, but in an enclosed or covered space, or as a spotter off to the side of a braked or otherwise loud gun, they should be used along with some plugs. Sound is decent, with good stereo perception, wind noise is minimal, and they are plenty comfortable to wear for extended periods. I wear them even when hunting.

I've also used the Walker Razors, and though they are more comfortable and have better sound quality than the Howard Leights, the mics are omni-directional, so you can't tell the direction the sound comes from very well. They also have horrendous wind noise. Still great for the bench, but I can't stand them out in the fields.

There are better noise reducing muffs, but most are too bulky for a proper cheek weld, so I prefer adding ear plugs underneath the slimmer designs instead. As mentioned, all you need is a few more DBs of reduction, so you can put in a cheap and comfortable foam plug, then just turn up the volume on the muffs to still hear conversation and environmental noise better.

Same for me! "Howard Leight Impact Sport is my go to (~$50). "

I use the MSA sorian with the gel cups, you can wear them all day. These by themselves were better than the Howard Leight with plugs under them.

Someone recently suggested the Etymotic GunsportPro recently but I've not bought them yet because I'm that happy with my MSA muffs. I like the looks of the sound gear better.
[h3][/h3][h3][/h3]

Last edited:
So the way I understand it there is no muzzle brake that will not destroy your hearing even with shooting muffs?
Did I read that right?
The test showed the specific combination of a 308 Win, APA Fat Bastard, and Peltor Tac 65s would result in a shooter's ear volume of 145.5dB, which is over the 140dB threshold for protection from impulse noises. You would need plugs rated to at least 19dB to bring the level down under 140. I brought it up mainly because I bought reliable electric ear protectors from a well known PPE provider, and those plus and a mid-range cartridge can put me into a bad place.

I choose to wear double ear pro anytime I'm shooting with a brake, ARs, indoors, or under a cover. One of those applies almost 100% of the time, so I do it almost all time. Even with suppressors I'll wear my electric ears, ARs are rarely hearing safe in general because of the design. And shooting a 338 Lap Mag under a metal cover will ring your ears even with a TBAC 338 Ultra screwed on. I wish I could get some Hollywood types out shooting next to me, they could hear how quiet those "silencers" really are.

33dB foam plugs at 31dB muffs are the highest rated available, and costs $60 for 200 pairs of plugs plus the muffs. Less than a box of ammo for premium ear pro.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.