Electronic Earmuffs

Dr. Richard Gray

All my life I have used foam earplugs or a good set of earmuffs. On occasions when shooting I have removed my earmuffs/plugs to either here a conversation or tinker with scope adjustments, and forget to put them back on. If you have ever done this with .338 Mag or larger caliber then you know about the harm it can do to your ears, it is excruciating with no protection.

I have been considering Electronic earmuffs or earbuds for some time now, but some reviews especially the 1 star imply that with the big bore magnums they don't help a lot, or at least not enough, and they have to wear earplugs under the earmuffs. I would like to know from shooters I can trust if the reviews are good, bad, or indifferent before spending $100 or more.

I'm with you on needing to hear conversation sometimes.
I don't shoot anything that big, but even if you did double up with plugs, you can turn the muff's volume up so you can hear normal conversation thru the plugs. I shoot centerfire pistols in a tin barn and use Pro Ears (a little over $100) without plugs and do fine.

I have several - Howard Leights, Pro Ears Gold, MSA Sordin.

I dont care for the Howard Leights. The Pro Ears Gold and the MSA work very well.

I give the edge to noise cancellation to Pro Ears
i give the edge for build quality to MSA

even if you wear foam under them, you turn up the volume, and it does exactly what you're looking for. Hardly any noise from shots, but conversations are very clear still.

I suggest trying a cheaper pair to begin with, then step up once you know how you'll like them. The cheaper set can always be held on to as a spare or loaner pair.

Howard Leight Impact Sport is my go to (~$50). They are fine for outdoor use behind the gun, but in an enclosed or covered space, or as a spotter off to the side of a braked or otherwise loud gun, they should be used along with some plugs. Sound is decent, with good stereo perception, wind noise is minimal, and they are plenty comfortable to wear for extended periods. I wear them even when hunting.

I've also used the Walker Razors, and though they are more comfortable and have better sound quality than the Howard Leights, the mics are omni-directional, so you can't tell the direction the sound comes from very well. They also have horrendous wind noise. Still great for the bench, but I can't stand them out in the fields.

There are better noise reducing muffs, but most are too bulky for a proper cheek weld, so I prefer adding ear plugs underneath the slimmer designs instead. As mentioned, all you need is a few more DBs of reduction, so you can put in a cheap and comfortable foam plug, then just turn up the volume on the muffs to still hear conversation and environmental noise better.

Following with interest!!! I don't hunt with a brake on my rifle, but....my S&W 460 ( factory brake) is quite load with ear protection.
Handgun hunting = timber hunting = grizzlies! I want instant access to a shot.....but, would like to have the opportunity to hear the bear just before I become bear crap! memtb

I bought a deal that screws over my brake, and I don't have to worry about hearing protection anymore.

But in seriousness, I never felt electronic ear protectors were enough for anything more than shotguns. Shooting ARs I'd still have to plug my right ear and only really listen with my left because the gas port is still too loud through the electronic muffs. I was using Peltor Tac 65s, rated to 19dB reduction, $95 way back when i got them, and they weren't enough.

When shooting anything without a suppressor, I wear Peltor X5as, they're $30, 31dB rated, and it's not hard to lift up an ear cup in exchange for not being more deaf than I already am.

Look at the sound level results from this brake test, there are some popular brakes out there that if you're only wearing 19dB muffs you're only 5dB less than shooting an unbraked rifle with bare ears. Big brakes should be shot with muffs and plugs combined. As an aside, doubling ear pro doesn't mean you add their NRR ratings together, you add 5 more decibels to the higher of the two ratings. 31dB muffs plus 33dB plugs is a net NRR of 38.

Last edited:
I like my Howard Leight Impact Pro the best at this point. I bought Pro Ears quite a few years ago and I was not impressed with the noise protection. I'll give them to you if you pay shipping.

I'm about 50% deaf already from a lot of things, big guns and bigger guns, drag racing and tractor pullers, etc. and not taking care of hearing when younger. Probably the worse was in the Navy I was 1st loader on a twin 3" - 50. These shells were over 2 ft long and a 3" diameter but the worse part of that was the empty casings clanging around on a steel deck. It was like standing in a bell tower with your head in the bell and someone banging the clapper for all it was worth. I really appreciate the feedback and the info has helped immensely. Thanks to all!

Following with interest!!! I don't hunt with a brake on my rifle, but....my S&W 460 ( factory brake) is quite load with ear protection.
Handgun hunting = timber hunting = grizzlies! I want instant access to a shot.....but, would like to have the opportunity to hear the bear just before I become bear crap! memtb
Have been considering a S&W 460 myself. Would like for this powder issue to be resolved first though. I have one of the first Super Blackhawk 44 Mag as well as a Blackhawk 357 Mag. I'm at the point where I want to keep this 44 Mag as a nostalgia thing. However, it is very functional and I am very good with it. I have killed coyotes at 100+ yds open sights.

I've been using the walker electronic muffs for a few years now and like them a lot, they have a NRR rating of 29 or 31. Have used them with everything. Largest caliber has been a braked 338-378 Weatherby with no issues. The other ones I've been using chukar hunting are the Walker in ear Silencers, they do good with my shotgun, that's all I have shot with them. Takes a little bit to get use to walking in them but no issues after awhile.

Depends on a lot of variables. Brakes, overhead cover, etc all impact the DB that you are going to absorb.

I teach a lot and would not think of doing so without electronic ears....and strongly urge all students to have them.

Worst case scenario with big magnums and big breaks, double up. Us a cheap foam in the ear plug combined with an electronic muff over the top.

I started out with pelter electronic and last year switched over to walker quad electronic muffs. Either pair serves me very well,no problem with either one. They work great for me. The walkers are a little more sound enhancing as far as hearing voices and other noises around me, but shut out the blast from even my largest big boomers. I bought the walkers with a set of their jell muffs. They make wearing them extended period of times more comfortable. ctw

I picked up a set of these to hunt with, they are pricey but I wanted a good set. I used them last week, after 6 hour of use the battery was down to 70%. Unfortunately I have not been able to fire a shot with them on yet but they provide the ability to hear and then block out the sound when shooting. I like the foam plugs but I want to hear what is going on around me when hunting. I bought them from Brownells since they offer lifetime warranty, as long as Otto makes them I never have to buy another set (well, unless I lose them). Otto