Electronic Earmuffs

All my life I have used foam earplugs or a good set of earmuffs. On occasions when shooting I have removed my earmuffs/plugs to either here a conversation or tinker with scope adjustments, and forget to put them back on. If you have ever done this with .338 Mag or larger caliber then you know about the harm it can do to your ears, it is excruciating with no protection.

I have been considering Electronic earmuffs or earbuds for some time now, but some reviews especially the 1 star imply that with the big bore magnums they don't help a lot, or at least not enough, and they have to wear earplugs under the earmuffs. I would like to know from shooters I can trust if the reviews are good, bad, or indifferent before spending $100 or more.
spend the money get pro ears gold

All my life I have used foam earplugs or a good set of earmuffs. On occasions when shooting I have removed my earmuffs/plugs to either here a conversation or tinker with scope adjustments, and forget to put them back on. If you have ever done this with .338 Mag or larger caliber then you know about the harm it can do to your ears, it is excruciating with no protection.

I have been considering Electronic earmuffs or earbuds for some time now, but some reviews especially the 1 star imply that with the big bore magnums they don't help a lot, or at least not enough, and they have to wear earplugs under the earmuffs. I would like to know from shooters I can trust if the reviews are good, bad, or indifferent before spending $100 or more.
There are earplugs available from ANY SAFETY SUPPLY COMPANY...and your are looking for 25-22 DCB...reduction.... these work totally....Walker electronic/ hearing enhanced/ noise reduction also are very good.....I shoot 338 lapua..460 Weatherby and 50 BMG.....and use the disposables with ZERO else...while hunting...electronics while BENCHING with other people...just so that i can carry a conversation with others and be protected!

Following with interest!!! I don't hunt with a brake on my rifle, but....my S&W 460 ( factory brake) is quite load with ear protection.
Handgun hunting = timber hunting = grizzlies! I want instant access to a shot.....but, would like to have the opportunity to hear the bear just before I become bear crap! memtb
You want to hear the Bear first? Are you expecting to hear him say...."TOO LATE"!😂. Ain't going to happen

I really like my Walkers. Wish I could afford the nicer ones. But..for shooting around others, hearing what's being said is extremely safer and really helps when teaching new shooters.
If ya have the cash...go ahead and get what you want...but the "bargain" priced beats Plugs all day. When shooting the loud boys...use Plugs and electronic.
One word of caution...Get the THIN ones...the thick muffs hit the stock and gets pushed off your ear...Ouch !

There are earplugs available from ANY SAFETY SUPPLY COMPANY...and your are looking for 25-22 DCB...reduction.... these work totally....Walker electronic/ hearing enhanced/ noise reduction also are very good.....I shoot 338 lapua..460 Weatherby and 50 BMG.....and use the disposables with ZERO else...while hunting...electronics while BENCHING with other people...just so that i can carry a conversation with others and be protected!
I used to be a welder and for a year or so I worked inside pressure vessels where most folks did not want to work. There were always five to ten welders using air-powered chipping hammers--as well as my own chipping hammer. Talk about being inside the bell tower. That was also the time my girlfriend broke up with me and broke my heart. I had a new S&W mod 29 .44 mag w/61/2 inch bbl. I would take my heartbroken self and load up anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 rounds of full-house loads a week for about 18 months and shoot carp in the rice field ditches where I lived. Now, I have constant ringing in my ears, can barely hear bells of any type including the bells on electronic devices, including microwaves and fire alarms. Just got my first pair of Walker Razor Slim Profile Electronic Muffs. I will be trying them out with my new .340 Weatherby Mag with an Acubrake. I will let you know what I think. In the meantime, don't let the young ones shoot without ear protection, And--skipglo, put a muzzle brake on your loudmouth. I can hear you from here.

I used to be a welder and for a year or so I worked inside pressure vessels where most folks did not want to work. There were always five to ten welders using air-powered chipping hammers--as well as my own chipping hammer. Talk about being inside the bell tower. That was also the time my girlfriend broke up with me and broke my heart. I had a new S&W mod 29 .44 mag w/61/2 inch bbl. I would take my heartbroken self and load up anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 rounds of full-house loads a week for about 18 months and shoot carp in the rice field ditches where I lived. Now, I have constant ringing in my ears, can barely hear bells of any type including the bells on electronic devices, including microwaves and fire alarms. Just got my first pair of Walker Razor Slim Profile Electronic Muffs. I will be trying them out with my new .340 Weatherby Mag with an Acubrake. I will let you know what I think. In the meantime, don't let the young ones shoot without ear protection, And--skipglo, put a muzzle brake on your loudmouth. I can hear you from here.
Any welder needing air powered chipping hammers must be from Texas.....so only advice I can offer too you Treeslug....try to keep yours EYES OPEN SHOOTING....un-like your welding experience!🤣 P.S.....I thought for a minute it might have been you were welding while you were talking on your cell phone...but then i realized...when you were a welder...
Phones were still nailed to a wall....and had a hand crank on the side!

I have the in the ear canal plugs and have used them hunting and with muffs when shooting at the range. They worked very well in both applications. I plan to buy the custom molded ear plugs (still vacillating between silver or platinum) as substitute to my normal hearing aids as I believe they will work better considering my severe hearing loss.

Any welder needing air powered chipping hammers must be from Texas.....so only advice I can offer too you Treeslug....try to keep yours EYES OPEN SHOOTING....un-like your welding experience!🤣 P.S.....I thought for a minute it might have been you were welding while you were talking on your cell phone...but then i realized...when you were a welder...
Phones were still nailed to a wall....and had a hand crank on the side!
Yeah, my phone is still on the wall with a hand crank. And I do not own a cell phone. I'm too old to figure out how to use one. Besides, you are always yelling at me and I can't hear a cell phone.

Treeslug one of my best friends was a welder inside barges in South Louisiana and with hearing loss worse than mine and when he first got hearing aids he said the whole world was so noisy that he had to make himself wear them.
Now he never leaves home without them.
This is a very important thread as all of us either HAS lost some hearing and other's WILL loose some so all be smart and protect your hearing!
Old Rooster

Treeslug one of my best friends was a welder inside barges in South Louisiana and with hearing loss worse than mine and when he first got hearing aids he said the whole world was so noisy that he had to make himself wear them.
This is a very important thread as all of us either HAS lost some hearing and other's WILL loose some so all be smart and protect your hearing!
Old Rooster
What's this I'm hearing...speak up! I officially got old Monday of this week....I got hearing aids too first time! If I'd known Treeslug 10 years ago....I would have needed them sooner! 50% I honestly attribute to Shooting

Old Rooster

When I finally got the correct hearing aid adjustment everything was so loud that I had a headache for two days. Now I wear them every day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.