ELD-X on grizzly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need the info or the lecture. It WILL penetrate, especially close. I'm not talking about using a SMK or some other garbage bullet that is going to turn into dust with incredible jacket separation.

I was under the assumption that people know that the ELD-M have a thicker jacket and more weight then the ELD-X, but still works like a hunting round, specifically like the A-MAX, if I'm not mistaken, the A-MAX was considered Hunting class if popular belief matters.

IF the OP was intending to use the ELD series, my opinion was that perhaps the ELD-M would have better penetration than the ELD-X, because it will deform slower.

Neither is bonded so separation is possible, with the ELD-X having interlock ring giving the best design to be LESS LIKELY to have separation. There is plenty of anecdotal info on both being used for bear. They both work, and sometimes, they both don't work. Since terminal performance, is about more than just bullet design....range, velocity and sectional density matters. So to clarify, I'm not sure how WELL it will penetrate a grizzle shoulder...vs the ELD-X, at range, but my guess is educated. However, its not a problem if you don't hit the shoulder either way...those lungs are gone.

88854.jpg
Thanks for cutting them in half. Now I can stop wondering .

Last edited:
In a panic it's a hell of lot easier to defend yourself with the 20. Beats the hell out of a 5 or 6 shot. You are more likely to get hits on target.

Tons of Guides carry them. Their a story where a guy walked up on a black bear and ended up rolling down an incline with the bear on top of him. He saved his own life with it.

My Glock 29 launches 200 grain bullets at 1175. A G20 doea it at 1250+.
Yea, but that still is not enough. I pack a lar grizzly in 45 win mag, 255 hard cast at 1750 fps. It will stop some thing fast!

No, 10mm has saved a lot a lives. If it's too close to use the rifle, anything is better than nothing.
If God help you are on the ground with a griz on top of you with your head or what ever in its mouth, dam. I just peed my pants thinking about it.... I think a pistol of any kind though a large caliber would probably put a little more hurt on him, is going to be easier to use than your rifle laying on the ground. Ripping off 10 rounds of 10mm might save yourself before he kills you? Of course if you would of had bear spray you wouldn't of had to worry about it in the first place right ? Now go hug a tree. :)

What happens if your only shot is a "quartering to" Shot where you must blow through that big shoulder bone to reach the vitals? I'd go with a heavy Barnes, A Frame or Partition bullet and be ready for any shot presentation.

Don't take an unethical shot within the constraints you put on yourself, doesn't matter if you're shooting a creed on a groundhog or a 105mm at a bear there are ethical and non-ethical shots :rolleyes:

Hunter has to make that call.

If God help you are on the ground with a griz on top of you with your head or what ever in its mouth, dam. I just peed my pants thinking about it.... I think a pistol of any kind though a large caliber would probably put a little more hurt on him, is going to be easier to use than your rifle laying on the ground. Ripping off 10 rounds of 10mm might save yourself before he kills you? Of course if you would of had bear spray you wouldn't of had to worry about it in the first place right ? Now go hug a tree. :)
Funny you say that. I have a shirt that shows a chainsaw and a downed tree. It says "Dont worry, I hugged it first".

What happens if your only shot is a "quartering to" Shot where you must blow through that big shoulder bone to reach the vitals? I'd go with a heavy Barnes, A Frame or Partition bullet and be ready for any shot presentation.
This is exactly why guys end up tracking animals - they think a less than ideal shot is their only option so they shoot anyway instead of waiting for the animal to turn - which they always do if you are patient enough.

Your viewpoint really changes when you actually come within spitting distance of a big brownie for the first time. At that point, nothing short of a gun with a lanyard will ease your unease. Keep it simple, use the most powerful gun that you can shoot well with the appropriate bullet. Ask your outfitter before the hunt what they would recommend. They have seen more bears killed than all of us on this site. On my hunt for a Brownie, I carried a 375 Ruger Alaskan Guide gun loaded with 300 gr. Barnes TSX bullets. My guide was confident that it was up to the task. I also carried a 4 5/8" barreled Ruger Blackhawk loaded with 320 gr. Cast Performance gas-checked flatpoints. A handgun is not much of a weapon against a determined bear charge, but it sure beats your fists if your rifle misfires, jams, or is knocked from your hands. Those words came from my guide, not me!

This is exactly why guys end up tracking animals - they think a less than ideal shot is their only option so they shoot anyway instead of waiting for the animal to turn - which they always do if you are patient enough.
I have taken out shoulders on purpose, but that's deer. Cant see myself doing it to a bear.

I have only killed one black bear it was a little over 400 lbs in Arkansas. I was 16 and only had a 12ga auto with buck shot. It was eating our calves so it had to be done. Two 3" 000 mags broadside at 25 yards did it but I was so scared I shot it 9 more times at point blank. Needless to say i was out there alone and would have loved to had a heavy constructed bullet from a rifle. If I was going to use my .300 Whby mag I would load up some 220 Nos partition i have set back for heavy bone or dangerous game. It is also nerve wracking having a long tusk hawg charging fast through the brush with an AR on hand and 30 rounds. Some things only give you one chance to get it down.

Just curious for those who have actual experience, but if you were actually shooting a deep penetrating caliber (e.g. 375 or 416) with a proper bullet (e.g. hammer, Barnes, A-frame), wouldn't you want to take a straight-line shot through a shoulder if the angle was where the vitals lined up with the bullet path through the shoulder? I would think a "vitals" shot with the extra incapacitation of a broken shoulder (just in case) would be a good thing. (Only If completely comfortable with the gun) Am I wrong on this one?

A handgun is not much of a weapon against a determined bear charge

This is what I was alluding to in an earlier post - handguns have been proven to discourage bear attacks. There are several examples where even a 9mm was able to convince a grizzly it wasn't worth his time.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/de...s-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5sf5FYuSP

When it comes to bear defense your goal is to survive or discourage an attack, not drop the bear in its tracks.

Hunting bears with a handgun is a different story...way different that using them for bear protection.

If you think you are going to be able swing your 26" bolt gun and get a shot off, let alone a kill shot at a charging bear you are kidding yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.