ELD-X on grizzly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If everything went right and a person had a good double lung shot. A fragile bullet like the ELD X would probably work.
But sometimes things don't go just right for a no bone shot.
I wouldn't use one !
A box or 2 of good tough expanding bullets isn't that much money. And its not like they won't work great for general hunting up here. Why take a chance ?
I think the question had been answered several times. With an ideal shot, it will kill them deader than dead. But I believe everyone agrees, a Partition, A-Frame, Accubond etc would be the best choice. I "believe" everyone wants the ELD because they want the better BC, so it is 0.0002" flatter at 100 yards. We all know bragging rights about targets is more important than ethics any day.

I was just circling back to where this all began as it had turned into a personal 'death' match (for whatever reason) about who is a pretender, wanna-be, not-really-a-hunter thread. I hate that. I was just trying to inject some humor into what had become a 'humorless' exchange.

If I was hunting something else (moose? sheep?) and had an ELD-X in the gun and had to shoot a Griz in self-defense, I'd hope it would penetrate deep enough to do the deed. Cup and core bullets have worked on the big bears prior to the arrival of partitioned/mono-core/bonded bullets. It certainly should be better than a 10mm in that role. But I also totally understand the carrying of a properly loaded (hard-cast, 200grain) 10mm as a last-ditch, save your life tool. There are many accounts of the 'wrong' gun working to thwart bear attacks. Something in hand always beats nothing.

I've never hunted grizzly or brown bear. I have seen them 'for real' (thank you Yellowstone!) and would feel more comfortable hunting them if I was using a premium, controlled expansion bullet such as a Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hammer Hunter, Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, or one of the "bonded" bullets such as the Swift Scirocco, Remington Core-Lokt Ultra, Norma Oryx, Winchester Power Max, Nosler Accubond, Federal Fusion, Hornady Interbond, Speer Deep Curl.

In the realm of hunting, outside of using solids for elephants, rhinos, and cape buffalo, can a person ever really go wrong using the Nosler Partition? It's the 'standard' by which all other hunting bullets are measured, so that just seems like the way to go, when in doubt. It works on everything.

Let's all just electronically shake hands, agree to disagree, and move on. Good people shouldn't attack other good people over something like this. The OP will shoot what he wants to shoot. Then he can tell us how it went. Or we can read about how the grizzly ate him after he shot it with a .22 Stinger, because someone on a forum said it would work.

I was just circling back to where this all began as it had turned into a personal 'death' match (for whatever reason) about who is a pretender, wanna-be, not-really-a-hunter thread. I hate that. I was just trying to inject some humor into what had become a 'humorless' exchange.

If I was hunting something else (moose? sheep?) and had an ELD-X in the gun and had to shoot a Griz in self-defense, I'd hope it would penetrate deep enough to do the deed. Cup and core bullets have worked on the big bears prior to the arrival of partitioned/mono-core/bonded bullets. It certainly should be better than a 10mm in that role. But I also totally understand the carrying of a properly loaded (hard-cast, 200grain) 10mm as a last-ditch, save your life tool. There are many accounts of the 'wrong' gun working to thwart bear attacks. Something in hand always beats nothing.

I've never hunted grizzly or brown bear. I have seen them 'for real' (thank you Yellowstone!) and would feel more comfortable hunting them if I was using a premium, controlled expansion bullet such as a Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hammer Hunter, Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, or one of the "bonded" bullets such as the Swift Scirocco, Remington Core-Lokt Ultra, Norma Oryx, Winchester Power Max, Nosler Accubond, Federal Fusion, Hornady Interbond, Speer Deep Curl.

In the realm of hunting, outside of using solids for elephants, rhinos, and cape buffalo, can a person ever really go wrong using the Nosler Partition? It's the 'standard' by which all other hunting bullets are measured, so that just seems like the way to go, when in doubt. It works on everything.

Let's all just electronically shake hands, agree to disagree, and move on. Good people shouldn't attack other good people over something like this. The OP will shoot what he wants to shoot. Then he can tell us how it went. Or we can read about how the grizzly ate him after he shot it with a .22 Stinger, because someone on a forum said it would work.
I was trying to throw some humor back in it too. Hence the "0.0002". I stated my original opinion, and ended up feeding the troll, before I blocked him.

By the way, I feel the same way about the Nosler Partition. I recently described it the same way in a post here. It really is "old faithful", and always dependable. I wonder how the 220gr RN would work on the brownies?

If the Bear is "Quartering To", the heart and lungs will be destroyed unless you are stupid enough to use a frangible bullet or too small of a caliber or shoot too far away. A 30 or 338 Barnes, A Frame, Partition, Trophy Bonded Bullet of proper weight (200-250 grain) through the shoulder at that angle will kill that Bear real fast. I'd take that shot any day. And anyone that says "They always turn and give you a better shot" is too foolish to heed. I'd rather take a standing "quartering to" presentation than a moving or turning target on ANY animal, Praire dog to Pachyderm.

I'd take that shot any day.

Lol...at what distance? 100 yds? 500 yds? 1000 yds? This is a long range hunting website, maybe you should qualify that statement. Also, given this is a long range hunting website and the question was about a long range hunting bullet - wait for it to turn and give you a good shot is sound advice. It is ok to pass on less than Ideal shots, especially when we are talking long range hunting.

Lol...at what distance? 100 yds? 500 yds? 1000 yds? This is a long range hunting website, maybe you should qualify that statement. Also, given this is a long range hunting website and the question was about a long range hunting bullet - wait for it to turn and give you a good shot is sound advice. It is ok to pass on less than Ideal shots, especially when we are talking long range hunting.

I have no problem with long range hunting. Shooting Bears at long range is just plain asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.