Arctic Grizzly Hunt

sorry about my questions, i hadn't read thru the entire thread:-(

I probably should have put more details in the first post. Got around to 'em eventually!

Don't mind the questions at all. I guess you found your answers in the thread aready?

If anyone else missed them:

Outfitter was Lyle Becker with Alaska Skookum Guides. He was there, guiding, along with Joey Klutsch, who is also both a guide and outfitter.

Great guys. A pleasure to camp and hunt with. And, they know an awful lot about bear hunting, not just in the Arctic, but out on the Peninsula and on Kodiak. They'd each just come from a month of hunting the Big Bears of Kodiak Island. :)

Guy

Nice bear, I just got back in October from hunting moose and caribou, how much gas did you burn going up? I'm wanting to get back up there and I think I'll drive instead of flying this next time.

Nice bear, I just got back in October from hunting moose and caribou, how much gas did you burn going up? I'm wanting to get back up there and I think I'll drive instead of flying this next time.

My round trip from Washington State was about 4500 miles, and I averaged 19 mpg with my Jeep. I figure I went through about 240 gallons of fuel. The route can easily be traveled in a far more economical vehicle. Heck, I followed a Prius for a couple of hours one day, it was doing just fine. This is not the fabled, tough "AlCan" of old. It's a nice route. I poked around a bit on more remote backroads on the way home. Glad I did, but it added a couple of hundred miles.

It's less expensive and quicker to fly.

But I HAD to see that country. So glad I drove, and I intend on traveling more extensively in both British Columbia and Yukon Territories in the future. Fishing, camping and just enjoying.

Guy

Sorry guys - forgot to get back here and answer some questions:

Yes, I drove to Fairbanks, flew out with Wright's Air Service.

Outfitter was Alaska Skookum Guides, Lyle Becker. Nothing but good to say about Lyle, or the terrific bear guide he also hired for this trip; Joey Klutsch. Both of 'em know their stuff!

Hit bone? Yes. First hit on the grizzly was at about 40 yards when he turned and offered me his right leg/shoulder. I took it. The 200 gr Partition smashed that bone, and entered the chest/lungs. Bear instantly dropped and rolled. He was dying then, BUT... There were thick willows nearby and he was up in a flash, heading for them. The guide and I both fired a couple more times, hitting and missing. He was back down in seconds.

I had gone through the four rounds in my magazine, and finished the bear while he was dying, with two shots at about 15 yards, from my guide's .338 Win mag. Those were 225 gr Barnes TTSX bullets, in Barnes factory ammo.

I am completely satisfied with the performance of the long 200 gr Partition, and the .30-06 rifle. My .375 would have been even better, but I chose the lighter rifle, that I carry more easily and shoot better at 300 yards.

There is room for only one rifle on a hunt like this and more things must be considered, rather than just raw power. Ahead of time, ability to make good hits at 300 yards was stressed, and the importance of having a lighter rifle, easily carried in rough country, was also stressed. I am very familiar with this 30-06 700 CDL, as most of my hunting has been with it, and a twin 700 CDL in .25-06 Rem.

Interestingly shots over 300 yards, on game that hadn't been wounded, were discouraged. Actually I'm fine with that re grizzly. I really don't want a wounded grizzly at 500 or 600 yards... Not my idea of a good thing. And, having hunted a fair bit, I know even the best marksmen can miss or make a bad hit. I sure have!

I think that covers it, but if you've got other questions, let me know. It was a wonderful hunt in every aspect!

Regards, Guy

Good to hear you went with Lyle at Alaska Skookum Guides.
I will be starting my guiding career for his company starting this fall.
Did you fly in with Daniel on the bush flight?
Truly love the arctic

Last edited:
Good to hear you went with Lyle at Alaska Skookum Guides.
I will be starting my guiding career for his company starting this fall.
Did you fly in with Daniel on the bush flight?
Truly love the arctic

That is GREAT! I've got nothing but good things to say about Lyle and his guide service, as well as Joey Klutsch. Great guys who really know their stuff.

Daniel flew us out - the intercom in the plane wasn't working for that flight so we didn't get to learn much from him, but a short conversation during and after the flight revealed that he knows a LOT about the arctic! He grew up there, so I guess it took hold.

Enjoy your guide work. It would be a great thing to do, I'm just too danged old and beat up to get started in it.

Regards, Guy

....This is not the fabled, tough "AlCan" of old. It's a nice route. I poked around a bit on more remote backroads on the way home. Glad I did, but it added a couple of hundred miles.

.......But I HAD to see that country. So glad I drove, and I intend on traveling more extensively in both British Columbia and Yukon Territories in the future. Fishing, camping and just enjoying......

I drove the Alcan to Watson Lake going up, the Cassiar coming back. One of those experiences that sticks with you.

One heck of a hunt. A 50 year dream for me - and now it's happened. Grizzly in the Arctic!

These fellows aren't as big as the coastal brown bear or the monsters on Kodiak, but they're good bears... No salmon for them. I was rewarded with a large male, with excellent color, the way interior grizzlies often have.

Nothing exotic for the rifle. I used my familiar 30-06 Rem 700 CDL with an old 2-7x Redfield. Same as I used last fall for four animals. Did bump up to the 200 gr Nosler Partition.

It was truly the hunt of a lifetime, and I'm grateful to have had the opportunity.

Regards, Guy

awesome! congratulations!

That is GREAT! I've got nothing but good things to say about Lyle and his guide service, as well as Joey Klutsch. Great guys who really know their stuff.

Daniel flew us out - the intercom in the plane wasn't working for that flight so we didn't get to learn much from him, but a short conversation during and after the flight revealed that he knows a LOT about the arctic! He grew up there, so I guess it took hold.

Enjoy your guide work. It would be a great thing to do, I'm just too danged old and beat up to get started in it.

Regards, Guy

60 days and counting down till I leave for the Brooks.
I hope to see you in camp sometime in the future

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Next best thing to being there. And, an '06 is hard to beat for reliability and performance. Plus, when you put the bullet where it belongs, good things happen!

Congrats Guy. As a 35+ year Alaskan that's shot his share of bears I have to say that's an incredible interior bear...BIG head...Great job...!!!

Also glad that you were able to cut down on the wolf population...You could've shot 4 or 5 more and I'd been fine with it...

I tried to read through all the posts but kept getting interrupted so I might have missed it. And I understand that you probably don't want to give away exact location but maybe a general area were you were hunting...? West of the Haul Road...East of the Haul Road...Near Pump Station 4 or 3...North of Atigun Pass and the Brookes Range....I'm just curious because I've hunted all those places myself...

Again, great job and congrats...!

Talking about expenses, when I rode my bike, I had over grand to kennel 3 dogs.

Seems campers in bed of trucks are making comeback. Maybe alway up there, but haven't seen them down here much. I wasn't hunting, and ride was incredible. But it takes time, week from WI.

Now that I have done the bike, I may do truck or fly. I did meet a guy who rode bike up,sold, flew hone, broke even. Not sure if you could do that with truck. Probably not a shortage.

Funny I worked with a guy who worked in trades up there in past. He talked how he dreaded ride home, and how he got sick of seeing mountains all day, every day. Not me, I loved it.

The steam-cleaned grizzly & wolf skulls, and the salted hides arrived here today via UPS. My dog went NUTS when I brought the boxes inside.

I'll set this up for a better photo later. It's the grizzly skull, with a .30-06 cartridge for comparison.

Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.