Grizzly bear defense

Run into a couple of bears over the years, one close encounter with a sow/cub had me swimming in very cold water. Your 10mm immediately in hand idea is your best bet! I bought a 454 Super red hawk for bear country but found it to be too heavy and cumbersome to have handy.....The 10mm EAA not so much.
Nuthin like a big kitty track to get your attention. While coyote hunting I have called a couple of bobcats and one lion in, they where not in season and or didn't have license.
They seem to appear out of nowhere and disappear just as fast.....I did catch a glims of the lion leaving but just a glims! My best defense has been to con someone else into walking the canyon walls for mule deer ;-)

AFAIK, you're not allowed to use a firearm for defense against bears in the National Parks.
So what the parks like to do is take advantage of the law you can't carry with in a certain distance of their buildings. There are ways around that problem. There is case law affirming your right to carry.
Do not fire a warning shot. Every spring we have to take a test to guide in the park. Always a question on warning shots. Not illegal to carry, it is illegal to discharge a firearm. As guides, knowing the parkies, always figured we would get charged for discharging a firearm if we have to shoot one. Oh well.

IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_9105.JPG

If a glock is what you are most comfortable and proficient with I would take a glock in 45 ACP and get a 460 Rowland conversion kit. You will have a glock with 44 Mag potential.

If you have any questions on how this works just let me know.

Everyone is on point. Carry what you're comfortable with. There are a few threads on here that cover the topic pretty well.

I carry spray and a pistol. Most of the time I have a rifle in my hands, and if I have to go to something else it probably will just depend on what I can get my hands on.

We had a guy with us this past fall that got thrown from his horse on a sidehill switchback when a Grizzly started coming downhill. He didn't have a chance to grab anything because he was going *** over tea kettle. Bear scooted another direction and luckily no one else was hurt.

Just go as prepared as you can, and make the right call for yourself and loved ones.

EDIT:

Just finished reading the NPR article. Really hits home for those of us in the GYR that pay attention. There's probably a middle ground to be met, but people of the region feel ignored and disenfranchised.

Last edited:
Salmonchaser - thanks for the great photos and your well grounded advice. You work among those bears every year. I see 'em once every couple of years for a few days.

I'm one of those guys seeking and reading this advice, not dispensing it! Bear hunting is one thing. Defense against a bear at close range, with a handgun or spray? I have little first hand info to offer!

Regards, Guy

Ive spent alot off time in grzz areas because it was my main elk spots.I carry 44 on a 2 1/2'' ring below my belt,swivles with your leg walking tied down,always easy to reach.It is below my waist belt,on pack or fanny pack.As mentioned above,we where coming around tight corner in ravine and where right on grizz,we where trying both to stay in the saddle.My bud always road with pistol,me never.Did after that,didnt want to walk out 8-10 miles in grzz area unarmed.Have had several bluff charges,as well as many of my friends.As far as cats I pack for them now too,never did.My main hunting buddy was stalked 3 times by cats,killed one at 9 yrds in ID with long bow after yelling at it,my kid was stalked,and I guy I worked with shot 145 # tom right near his home from the hip while whitetail hunting.The cats are silent,bear will usually puff at you.Had lots of grizz give warnings.Also have sent warning shots right between there legs ,that only briefly deterred them.Called one in bowhunting,then it turned out to be about 4,I was backing out with pistol in hand when it turned into a bear fight,that will raise the hair on the back of your neck.Jogged out in dark. Guy was hunting about 3 miles from my house for deer and heard brush break,bear was on him as he backed up and lifted rifle,fell back.Bit and shock him and that was enough to tear his ligaments etc.Hurt him pretty bad,was last fall.He never got a shot off,rifle on shoulder,I front carry for last close to twenty years

Last edited:
sp6x6, Your post, confirms something that been ingrained into my brain, from when I was a kid. I grew up in an area of thick brush and timber, where shots could be required in fractions of seconds. A rifle, slung on your shoulder, would be useless! Now, hunting in thick cover and in bear country.....rifle is in hand. As attacks are nearly silent, and happen quickly.....I may not get a round off, but the odds are much better, with rifle in hand! In open country, I occasionally sling the rifle....but, even then rarely!

We carry bear spray, which stays in it's holster. If time allows, bear spray would be deployed. I can't carry a rifle and spray at the same time! Decisions, Decisions! memtb

I definitely like my cross-chest holster, whether at home working or carrying while hunting! For accessibility with day or back pack, or simply keeping it out of the way while working....pretty hard to beat! memtb

Along the lines of that same topic, don't have your handgun on your hip when you are walking around with a backpack, you won't get to your gun.

Chest holster, always make sure you have clear access to that firearm, if nothing else, he'll have to eat through steel and lead before getting to your heart.

You've really made a great point mentioning about not being able to get to your gun with a backpack on. I sold a long-slide, Glock40 10mm, because I was having difficulty clearing the holster with the long slide. Replaced the G40 with a G20, not a great difference however did help access. I've had extensive rotator cuff surgery, so not as agile and flexible as I would like to be. Thanks for the post.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.