ELD-X on grizzly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the guide is passionate about a type of bullet, he should tell his clients what bullet they should shoot shouldnt they? Also, shouldn't the guide have his own set up that he is confident in for those situations?

I guided for a while, never occurred to me to ask what bullet a client was using. Knew cartridge, rifle etc and our sheet had recommended bullets, factory loads for many Cartridges. Never had anyone who was hunting moose or bear show up with "Target" or frangible bullets. We also didn't permit shots farther than 300 yards on moose and 200 or less on bear so there weren't clients trying to setup for long distance shooting at large game.

To be honest,if we were chasing wounded bear and there were two of us, we usually left the client and went in ourselves. If you only have one guide with a client you will need to rely on the client playing his role as two are almost always better than one. As far as the guide having his own setup, you obviously haven't tracked too many wounded animals. Even though the guide has the right gun and ammo for backup you can't count on him being the one that gets to take a shot. Wounded bear often come in from the side, not straight ahead on the blood trail, that is precisely why you want one person tracking blood and one watching your perimeter.

I guided for a while, never occurred to me to ask what bullet a client was using. Knew cartridge, rifle etc and our sheet had recommended bullets, factory loads for many Cartridges. Never had anyone who was hunting moose or bear show up with "Target" or frangible bullets. We also didn't permit shots farther than 300 yards on moose and 200 or less on bear so there weren't clients trying to setup for long distance shooting at large game.

To be honest,if we were chasing wounded bear and there were two of us, we usually left the client and went in ourselves. If you only have one guide with a client you will need to rely on the client playing his role as two are almost always better than one. As far as the guide having his own setup, you obviously haven't tracked too many wounded animals. Even though the guide has the right gun and ammo for backup you can't count on him being the one that gets to take a shot. Wounded bear often come in from the side, not straight ahead on the blood trail, that is precisely why you want one person tracking blood and one watching your perimeter.
I bet a wounded brown bear can be a real come to Jesus moment.

you obviously haven't tracked too many wounded animals.

This is true - I am a berger guy, most recently been using the eldx with great results. I never shoot for the shoulder - always behind the shoulder and it is a quick clean kill. Thats because I understand how the bullets I choose to shoot work. I am not saying a berger or eldx would be my first choice, but if that is what my gun shot, I wouldnt hestitate to use them. Keep them OFF the shoulder and they should be money.

If you are all so scared, make sure the standard is set. Make sure your client has a .338 LM ati round....just to be sure...in case of bad shot placement. Make sure you have a set up some claymores around your perimeter "just in case"

Sound ridiculous?

If you are all so scared, make sure the standard is set. Make sure your client has a .338 LM ati round....just to be sure...in case of bad shot placement. Make sure you have a set up some claymores around your perimeter "just in case"

Sound ridiculous?
Nope, not when it comes to natures largest carnivorous animals. If I were blessed with the chance to go hunt a brownie. I sure wouldn't be trying to setup my 300 Win Mag. I'd get a .416 Ruger Alaskan, and have my Glock 20 loaded with Underwood's hardcast rounds.

Sound ridiculous?

Come back on here and talk to me AFTER you have faced down a pizzed off wounded bear at under 10 yards in heavy bush and tell me again I am a Fraidy Cat! If you manage that, then come back after you top the half dozen mark, if you live that long. There is a good reason I packed a 375 H&H or a 458 Lott as a backup gun. Wouldn't ever have used some pizzant 338 for that kind of work.

i was going to make a joke that I'm surprised the 6.5 creed guys aren't on here talking about bear killing, then I decided to google it and sure enough.
https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=7881.15
Funny - I read that post a while ago. People are quick to confuse bear hunting with bear protection, and even then bear protection isn't about killing the bear as much as deterring it to stay alive. I hunt elk and black bears in grizzly country. I usually carry a 25-06, 260, or 270wsm and a glock 29 as a bear deterrent.

On this forum elk are treated as bad as grizzlies when it comes to cartridge and bullet selection because apparently there is a rumor going around that both are bullet proof! Lol

Make a good shot in the vitals and the bear will die...don't really care what type of bullet you use. Are we saying the ELDX isnt going to penetrate? That would be laughable. A bad shot is a bad shot. Just don't suck and make a bad shot...

Nope, not when it comes to natures largest carnivorous animals. If I were blessed with the chance to go hunt a brownie. I sure wouldn't be trying to setup my 300 Win Mag. I'd get a .416 Ruger Alaskan, and have my Glock 20 loaded with Underwood's hardcast rounds.

G20? Doesn't that shoot the 40 slow and weak...just faster?

I've shot a couple grizzly. Never hunted one though so YMMV. Two with .308 and one with a 12 ga. Biggest one was with .308 and it got the job done. All my black bear have been with the same. The only bear, a black, to ever really run on me and made me chase into the devils club/alder was shot with a 12 ga copper solid sabot slug that entered just above the head in his neck at a distance of about 15m and traveled lengthwise to his hind quarter without hitting anything important. Even big bullets miss sometimes.

Shot placement with a 220 grn .30 going fast will be fine OP. If you're out really hard set on a trophy bear I'd like to see a .338 or something but whatever.

Yet out of anything in that worst moment of your life you're choosing a 10mm...in a semi auto.
In a panic it's a hell of lot easier to defend yourself with the 20. Beats the hell out of a 5 or 6 shot. You are more likely to get hits on target.

Tons of Guides carry them. Their a story where a guy walked up on a black bear and ended up rolling down an incline with the bear on top of him. He saved his own life with it.

My Glock 29 launches 200 grain bullets at 1175. A G20 doea it at 1250+.

In a panic it's a hell of lot easier to defend yourself with the 20. Beats the hell out of a 5 or 6 shot. You are more likely to get hits on target.

Tons of Guides carry them. Their a story where a guy walked up on a black bear and ended up rolling down an incline with the bear on top of him. He saved his own life with it.

My Glock 29 launches 200 grain bullets at 1175. A G20 doea it at 1250+.

Cool story bro. I heard about a guy that won the lottery using fortune cookie numbers and while I love some Chinese food I still don't play the lottery. I think the "guides" you are talking about are carrying "a gun for bears" but they aren't carrying a gun to go seek out bears that are already way upset/wounded.

Next time you go to the range find a thrift store stuffed animal, shove that glock into it and pull the trigger. Let me know if you get more than 2-4 shots to function without having to use two hands to clear a malfunction. Now imagine wearing that pistol for a five day trip through the rainforest of Southeast Alaska without maintaining it because your moving/glassing from dark to dark and imagine how much worse it would function.

Status
Not open for further replies.