ELD-X on grizzly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

regularjoe

I'm prepping for a Alaskan moose and grizzly hunt. Has anyone tried the 30 cal 220 ELD-X bullet on either critter? I have a good supply of the bullet but no experience on anyrthing bigger than a elk.
The muzzle velocity on my rifle with the 220 is 2850. Thanks!

Should not be a problem for moose. Grizzly might be another matter depending on the situation. Never used one on Grizz. When I lived in AK I loaded Barnes X Bullets in my 416 Remmy. I like how they penetrate. Just my .02.

I'm prepping for a Alaskan moose and grizzly hunt. Has anyone tried the 30 cal 220 ELD-X bullet on either critter? I have a good supply of the bullet but no experience on anyrthing bigger than a elk.

I don't get it. Why would you even be thinking of using that particular bullet on big bears. Grizzly is NOT an animal you should be shooting at long ranges and most quality guides aren't going to let you pull the trigger on a bear that is more than a couple of hundred yards away. Bad shot placement on a Moose or Elk risks loss of the animal, bad shot placement on a large bear risks you and the guide.

There are some animals that you are best to stalk within range where wind, and other environmental factors don't affect the outcome. Use a bullet of known tough construction that will penetrate well and hold together on heavy boned game.

Agreed with other posters here , but I'd go Barnes ,or Bonded like Woodlieghs ,A/Frame, Or Partitions , bullet failure could cost you your hide . Others will say so/so. Cheap factory has worked my whole life , luck can run out then what ?!. The Best bullet you can use is your best bet and will not fail you !, good luck wish I was there with you ,take plenty of pictures !, Cheers n Enjoy your hunt .

maybe look at the ELD-Ms. They would probably penetrate better, though they dont expand technically, they kind of act like the old A-max's. I dont know how well the ELD-x would penetrate a grizzly shoulder at distance.

maybe look at the ELD-Ms. They would probably penetrate better, though they dont expand technically, they kind of act like the old A-max's. I dont know how well the ELD-x would penetrate a grizzly shoulder at distance.
Using improper bullets on deer is one thing. Using Target bullets on game is risky, and inhumane if they fail to penetrate. A 1000 lb Volkswagen running 35 mph don't leave time for nonsense, because you want a .1xx better BC than REAL hunting bullets.

What caliber rifle? If youre using the 300 win mag rifle, it's a great round for deer. But id use a partition bullet for bear instead. I usually load my ammo at mid range between the minimum and max loads. I find mid range is more accurate. Using RL-19 OR H-1000 POWDERS. I've had great results with both. However, I'd only shoot bear 200 yards or less.

Last edited:
They will work - you'll just have to be mindful of shot placement like any other cup and core bullet...stay behind the shoulder and you shouldn't have any problem killing a grizzly with them. If you are wanting to take out both front shoulders, you should probably use an Aframe, partition, or barnes.

Using improper bullets on deer is one thing. Using Target bullets on game is risky, and inhumane if they fail to penetrate. A 1000 lb Volkswagen running 35 mph don't leave time for nonsense, because you want a .1xx better BC than REAL hunting bullets.

I don't need the info or the lecture. It WILL penetrate, especially close. I'm not talking about using a SMK or some other garbage bullet that is going to turn into dust with incredible jacket separation.

I was under the assumption that people know that the ELD-M have a thicker jacket and more weight then the ELD-X, but still works like a hunting round, specifically like the A-MAX, if I'm not mistaken, the A-MAX was considered Hunting class if popular belief matters.

IF the OP was intending to use the ELD series, my opinion was that perhaps the ELD-M would have better penetration than the ELD-X, because it will deform slower.

Neither is bonded so separation is possible, with the ELD-X having interlock ring giving the best design to be LESS LIKELY to have separation. There is plenty of anecdotal info on both being used for bear. They both work, and sometimes, they both don't work. Since terminal performance, is about more than just bullet design....range, velocity and sectional density matters. So to clarify, I'm not sure how WELL it will penetrate a grizzle shoulder...vs the ELD-X, at range, but my guess is educated. However, its not a problem if you don't hit the shoulder either way...those lungs are gone.

88854.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I already posted my version of no, use a better bullet. For all those that think the OPs bullet will work fine with careful shot placement, think about this; if you use that bullet and something does go wrong, how happy are you going to be using that bullet on a wounded bear at 30 feet in heavy alder when your shot angles aren't really up to you any more? How happy do you think you guide will be relying on you and that bullet? Their are a ton of better choices for bullets for this type of game, use one of them!

Okay, I already posted my version of no, use a better bullet. For all those that think the OPs bullet will work fine with careful shot placement, think about this; if you use that bullet and something does go wrong, how happy are you going to be using that bullet on a wounded bear at 30 feet in heavy alder when your shot angles aren't really up to you any more? How happy do you think you guide will be relying on you and that bullet? Their are a ton of better choices for bullets for this type of game, use one of them!

If the guide is passionate about a type of bullet, he should tell his clients what bullet they should shoot shouldnt they? Also, shouldn't the guide have his own set up that he is confident in for those situations?

Status
Not open for further replies.