ELD-X on grizzly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shot a grizzly a few years back with a 180 Berger out of my 7RUM...he never even knew what hit him and he was dead before the blueberries in his mouth even got swallowed. The ELD-X will be fine I'm betting.

Come back on here and talk to me AFTER you have faced down a pizzed off wounded bear at under 10 yards in heavy bush and tell me again I am a Fraidy Cat! If you manage that, then come back after you top the half dozen mark, if you live that long. There is a good reason I packed a 375 H&H or a 458 Lott as a backup gun. Wouldn't ever have used some pizzant 338 for that kind of work.

I don't need to do all that. I know I'm not a p***y.

I didn't give my bear hunting experience (bullet/cartridge, setup) because I bow hunted my first and last grizzly lol

I find no joy in just killing for pelt or sport. It smells awful to cook, definitely abandoned the possibly of tasting it, and I don't collect mounts. I also don't enjoy the guide and trophy sport industry, not a personal attack, just I like public land hunts and prefer to do everything myself.
Nothing against people who like it, just what I found out about myself and why I stopped pursuing anymore experience with it. That being said, most of my hunting is bow hunting. That don't mean I don't know nothing about killing with guns.

I'm not saying don't have a back up gun, or be unprepared, but the actual hunting gun, can literally be 9mm and kill a brown bear. Smart? No, of course not! But there's no rule or absolution that you NEED a 375 H&H or whatever was said to be necessary to be on the dangerous game hunting channel in the 80s. Belted magnums and the likes work fine.

To project your issues onto the OP or to others is the only reason I'm arguing. If he thinks he needs something bigger and better than he can do that. If he was to use a spear, that's on him. Not my problem.

Everyone here (should be) is old enough to know that there are risk and consequences for messing with dangerous wildlife. The OP was looking for education, before he done go do something possible stupid, the short answer was and is...the ELD-X can, has and will work. If you all need to call in artillery and fire support for a grizzly hunt then, umm have fun.

Funny - I read that post a while ago. People are quick to confuse bear hunting with bear protection, and even then bear protection isn't about killing the bear as much as deterring it to stay alive. I hunt elk and black bears in grizzly country. I usually carry a 25-06, 260, or 270wsm and a glock 29 as a bear deterrent.

On this forum elk are treated as bad as grizzlies when it comes to cartridge and bullet selection because apparently there is a rumor going around that both are bullet proof! Lol

Make a good shot in the vitals and the bear will die...don't really care what type of bullet you use. Are we saying the ELDX isnt going to penetrate? That would be laughable. A bad shot is a bad shot. Just don't suck and make a bad shot...

Yeah, you remember that epically long bashing thread regarding video of the dude that shot that elk with the 6.5 creed right in the shoulder plate and wounded it? All the debates took place and nothing was accomplished :(

Yeah, you remember that epically long bashing thread regarding video of the dude that shot that elk with the 6.5 creed right in the shoulder plate and wounded it? All the debates took place and nothing was accomplished :(

I remember it well...lol. I think people should shoot whatever cartridge they want to when they are hunting. With so many premium bullets available now days its easier to knock the wind out of something than ever before - you just have to make a good shot and not be an idiot...there in lies the challenge for most. Lol :)

i was going to make a joke that I'm surprised the 6.5 creed guys aren't on here talking about bear killing, then I decided to google it and sure enough.
https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=7881.15
14 years ago, I had a guy (outer stater) show with 6.5x284, we're up the river and he spots something from the airboat that I haven't seen yet, he fires not once but twice, the bear crosses the river my first time laying eyes on a grizzly bear. I bring the airboat to a stop, we three look for blood, then make the decision to go in after him, its funny no more and it never was. I take my 300 Weatherby Magnum rifle loaded 200 grains Barnes X bullets, Gary gets his 338 Magnum and the nut who shot at the bear brings his little cartridge. Everything turns out good, the end of the story. A day on the Alaska river system up north.

Last edited:
14 years ago, I had a guy (outer stater) show with 6.5x284, we're up the river and he spots something from the airboat that I haven't seen yet, he fires not once but twice, the bear crosses the river my first time laying eyes on a grizzly bear. I bring the airboat to a stop, we three look for blood, then make the decision to go in after him, its funny no more and it never was. I take my 300 Weatherby Magnum rifle loaded 200 grains Barnes X bullets, Gary gets his 338 Magnum and the nut who shot at the bear brings his little cartridge. Everything turns out good, the end of the story. A day on the Alaska river system up north.
I believe if people want to hunt a brown bear with anything less than a .338, they should be made to go in alone. That way, when their pitiful Creedmoor doesn't do the job, then we don't have to worry about them polluting the gene pool.

People's favorite line is "such and such cartridge have been killing them for years". Well you can still dig a well by hand, but that doesn't make it the most appropriate method these days.

I'll chime in here.
We always say a 30-06 in the boiler room is better than a 458 in the butt.
Meaning that if you(hunter) are recoil sensitive bring the gun you are most comfortable and proficient with.
OP was asking about bullet type. ELD-X would work but my choice would be a Hammer bullet. Either the Hunter or Sledge Hammer line. If things went bad those mono bullets will be the better choice.
I use the Hammer Hunter in my Guide Rifles.

I've never had the opportunity to hunt grizzly, but I understand that it is expensive, and at times, possibly dangerous. People talking junk about anyone being scared have probably not been in bad situations like that. Being scared and being brave are two things that co-occur. If you are "brave" and not scared at the same time, you are probably not brave—just stupid. As a matter of fact, if you are not scared at least a little, there is no bravery to occur. Otherwise, it would just be a nonchalant event. Anyways, the hunt is probably pretty expensive. I suggest to take a decent size caliber with a good bullet. If it was my life and money on the line, I would say 300wm-458 Lott with an A-frame or Hammer bullet. I'm not saying other loads or calibers would not work, but why take the chance? A bonded or mono box of bullets would only set you back $100 max. My personal choice would be my 416 Rigby or a 375 h&h with hammer bullets or a swift A-frame. Just my opinion. Also, as mentioned above, take the biggest gun you are comfortable shooting with a good bullet.

I believe if people want to hunt a brown bear with anything less than a .338, they should be made to go in alone. That way, when their pitiful Creedmoor doesn't do the job, then we don't have to worry about them polluting the gene pool.

People's favorite line is "such and such cartridge have been killing them for years". Well you can still dig a well by hand, but that doesn't make it the most appropriate method these days.
An Alaska story from a guide called 85 dead Brown Bears. This guide recorded for years what his hunters would have for Brown Bear hunting; one-shot kills percent, .30 magnum, /375 H&H both 25%, the 338/340 magnum 17%. I once met a Brown Bear guide at the local shooting range here in Alaska that used a 300 Weatherby magnum for years, now I don't know why he would have the Weatherby Mark V re-barreled to 340 magnum. I watched him shoot the rifle, he wasn't doing good with the recoil. I have found that a lot of people with 338/340 magnum rifles, can't shoot them, a better caliber according to this report is 300/375 magnum. Like I mentioned before, Gary told me, that he doesn't like the 338 magnums, too much recoil is why he won't shoot it.

An Alaska story from a guide called 85 dead Brown Bears. This guide recorded for years what his hunters would have for Brown Bear hunting; one-shot kills percent, .30 magnum, /375 H&H both 25%, the 338/340 magnum 17%. I once met a Brown Bear guide at the local shooting range here in Alaska that used a 300 Weatherby magnum for years, now I don't know why he would have the Weatherby Mark V re-barreled to 340 magnum. I watched him shoot the rifle, he wasn't doing good with the recoil. I have found that a lot of people with 338/340 magnum rifles, can't shoot them, a better caliber according to this report is 300/375 magnum. Like I mentioned before, Gary told me, that he doesn't like the 338 magnums, too much recoil is why he won't shoot it.
Being comfortable is a huge part of it. I've always loved heavy recoilers. I could always shoot my 338 WM as good as my 300 or 7mm. But I realize I'm fortunate in that respect.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people are scolding you for long range bear hunting. I didn't see anything in your post that insinuated you wanted to do so. I haven't shot anything but hogs so far with ELDx bullets (in .264) bit at 75 yards they did their job and expanded well.

I've never had the opportunity to hunt grizzly, but I understand that it is expensive, and at times, possibly dangerous. People talking junk about anyone being scared have probably not been in bad situations like that. Being scared and being brave are two things that co-occur. If you are "brave" and not scared at the same time, you are probably not brave—just stupid. As a matter of fact, if you are not scared at least a little, there is no bravery to occur. Otherwise, it would just be a nonchalant event. Anyways, the hunt is probably pretty expensive. I suggest to take a decent size caliber with a good bullet. If it was my life and money on the line, I would say 300wm-458 Lott with an A-frame or Hammer bullet. I'm not saying other loads or calibers would not work, but why take the chance? A bonded or mono box of bullets would only set you back $100 max. My personal choice would be my 416 Rigby or a 375 h&h with hammer bullets or a swift A-frame. Just my opinion. Also, as mentioned above, take the biggest gun you are comfortable shooting with a good bullet.
The biggest thing that I have witnessed, is a hunter not spent enough time shooting the gun/rifle he's going to hunt with. I went on a private game ranch to hunt Bison. The owner said that the biggest problem he has is hunters not knowing how to shoot; lite recoiling rifle the 30-06, hunters can't handle its recoil...seven rounds into the bison and now tracking it.

A true story from Alaska. This story was carried in the local Anchorage, Alaska newspaper about a guy and his 458 magnum rifle. He shot the caribou the day before, now he is with his wife they are both hunting caribou, he field dressing the caribou, his wife says to him, do you still want to shoot that brown bear? Yes. He fires his gun and he hits the brown bear, they go to the spot and see a lot of blood and fur left on ground, it's a good hit, he thinks! Well, next morning they go back to the spot and the bear is gone but laying in the brush for him. Out comes the brown bear and takes hold of his leg I believe from recall, the guy tells his wife to shoot the bear, 2/3 times from her 338 Winchester Magnum and kills the bear; the right bullet is everything. A friend had the same problem with a grizzly bear, wrong bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.