ELD-X on grizzly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When hunting dangerous game, any shot that immobilizes the animal is a good one. That's a moral dilemma I can live with. I can't remember all the deer that I have helped track after being wounded by a poorly placed shot and had to be finished off sometimes hours after they were first hit. We owe any game we harvest as clean a kill as possible, but for various reasons sometimes it just doesn't happen.

So you are taking a 100 or 200 yard shot on a grizzly and are wanting to take out the spine instead of shoot for the vitals? Come on man...thats messed up.

We aren't talking about accidental spine shots or bad shots - we are talking about making a conscious effort to shoot for the spine to immobilize them?

I've heard this a thousand times, but never knew if it were true or not. That a grizzly shot through the heart at 50 yards can still get to you, and kill you before it dies. Any of you Alaska guys know if that can happen?

I've heard this a thousand times, but never knew if it were true or not. That a grizzly shot through the heart at 50 yards can still get to you, and kill you before it dies. Any of you Alaska guys know if that can happen?

Highly likely, if they get the adrenaline dump and decide to fight instead of flight I'm sure they could.

Unless you shoot them with a 10mm;-)

Highly likely, if they get the adrenaline dump and decide to fight instead of flight I'm sure they could.

Unless you shoot them with a 10mm;-)
I would carry the 10mm for backup, not grizzly hunting. I can put 16 rounds on target with it, a lot faster than I could shoot 5 or 6 rounds from a 454.

Headline

Heart shot Brown Bear runs 50 yards and kills hunter that shot him. Now wandering countryside looking for other victims.

Darn, Alaskan bears must be really tough buggers, or maybe there is some Sasquach mixed into their DNA. Guys have been telling whopper hunting and fishing stories since the beginning of time. Difference used to be that because everyone hunted and fished they knew a whopper when they heard it.

Wounded bears have killed a few hunters or guides. But it was because they were poorly hit. The bear may have died of it's wounds after attacking but they sure weren't heart shot initially.

Headline

Heart shot Brown Bear runs 50 yards and kills hunter that shot him. Now wandering countryside looking for other victims.

Darn, Alaskan bears must be really tough buggers, or maybe there is some Sasquach mixed into their DNA. Guys have been telling whopper hunting and fishing stories since the beginning of time. Difference used to be that because everyone hunted and fished they knew a whopper when they heard it.

Wounded bears have killed a few hunters or guides. But it was because they were poorly hit. The bear may have died of it's wounds after attacking but they sure weren't heart shot initially.
Haha - similar stories about making a "perfect" heart or double lung shot on an elk with a 7RM or 30-06 only to have it run off and never be found. So now they are telling everybody to bring a 338 mag if you want to kill one, When really it was a crappy shot to begin with...sigh

What blows my mind about these fantastic stories is how do people know they made a perfect heart shot on a bear if the bear killed them and ran off or the elk ran off never to be found? I have always wondered that :) SMH

Headline

According to ADF&G the bear's "adrenaline may carry him a good distance before he dies." http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=kodiakbear.kodiakfaqs#shoot

I've hunted some Africa plains animals and they had some amazing resiliency even after very solid shots to the vitals few went down with one shot. I wouldn't underestimate how far one might travel after a vitals shot...because really you don't "know" what vitals you actually hit/damaged until you cut it open anyway.

According to ADF&G the bear's "adrenaline may carry him a good distance before he dies." http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=kodiakbear.kodiakfaqs#shoot

I've hunted some Africa plains animals and they had some amazing resiliency even after very solid shots to the vitals few went down with one shot. I wouldn't underestimate how far one might travel after a vitals shot...because really you don't "know" what vitals you actually hit/damaged until you cut it open anyway.

I have never hunted African Plains game - but are they really tougher than our deer, elk, and moose? I don't see how they could be.

I have never hunted African Plains game - but are they really tougher than our deer, elk, and moose? I don't see how they could be.

I have hunted Africa. Well shot African game dies every bit as fast as North American Game. What is true is their anatomy/skeletal structure is quite different than North American game so you need to study up on where the heart, spine etc are on the game you are hunting. A heart shot Kudu does not go any further than a heart shot Elk.

As far as the link to the Alaska info, you need to read the total piece relating to that piece that was quoted. I still say no heart shot bear is going to kill the hunter that shot it. If the stories were true there would be no living bow hunters that ever shot a Brown Bear.
If a bear is undisturbed, a shot placed in the chest cavity hitting heart, liver, or lungs, should kill the animal cleanly. Some experienced hunters recommend shooting for the front shoulder to disable the bear. Unless vital internal organs are also hit, the shoulder shot may not provide a clean kill. A spinal shot will almost invariably kill or immobilize a bear, but the spine is a difficult target. Don't be hesitant to follow up your first shot to ensure a clean, quick kill. Bullet holes rarely compromise the quality of the hide. If a bear is running, or is otherwise disturbed when shot, he may be more difficult to kill, as the bear's momentum and adrenaline may carry him a good distance before he dies. Shooting at a moving bear is a poor practice, with a high probability of wounding the animal, and losing it.

Last edited:
So you are taking a 100 or 200 yard shot on a grizzly and are wanting to take out the spine instead of shoot for the vitals? Come on man...thats messed up.

We aren't talking about accidental spine shots or bad shots - we are talking about making a conscious effort to shoot for the spine to immobilize them?

Just seemed to have a lot more will to escape. Best example in contrast I can think of is a caribou, look at them the wrong way and they go down.

I get that - maybe their flight skills are more refined than our game in the US. I have always felt like whitetails are tougher to put on the ground than elk or mule deer.

Haha - similar stories about making a "perfect" heart or double lung shot on an elk with a 7RM or 30-06 only to have it run off and never be found. So now they are telling everybody to bring a 338 mag if you want to kill one, When really it was a crappy shot to begin with...sigh

What blows my mind about these fantastic stories is how do people know they made a perfect heart shot on a bear if the bear killed them and ran off or the elk ran off never to be found? I have always wondered that :) SMH
I do have a relative who borrowed my .338 WM to go deer hunting. It had 250 Partitions in it. He came back and told me a 338 cant kill a deer, because he shot a doe and she ran off like she was never hit......because he never hit her lol My experience was the 250 Partitions worked great on deer.

The closer the animal is, the faster you need to stop him. A big Brownie at 200 yds. is one thing. The one you jump in alders at 30 yds. is something else. Remember, these animals will come after you if they are still mobile. Even a good shot to the vitals may not kill him on the spot. Its always better if the animal is unaware of your presence, and is at a distance. Where you shoot them depends on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.