Efficient Muzzle Brake?

Propdoc03

I am looking for a "budget" minded effective muzzle brake.
Planning on purchasing one and having it installed at the "local" smith, if needs be.
Got quoted $90.00 to $100.00 for labor.

Application = my hunting buddy is trying to tame his .270 so that his petite wife might be able to handle it as well. Would still like to keep it pumped up for long range so reducing the load doesnt appear to be a great option. She fired the .270 as it is and it was waayy to much for her.

Already planning to put a decelerator pad on the butt.

Rifle is a older Savage 110, so the barrel being worth it is a consideration, not sure how much life is left in the barrel. Figure there should be a number of hunting seasons left in it, but a new gun is on the plate as well. Have not thought too much about what caliber might work for her? Looking for something to reach out to 700'ish yards, 800 even better.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be of help.

Many Thanks!
PD

I am looking for a "budget" minded effective muzzle brake.
Planning on purchasing one and having it installed at the "local" smith, if needs be.
Got quoted $90.00 to $100.00 for labor.

Application = my hunting buddy is trying to tame his .270 so that his petite wife might be able to handle it as well. Would still like to keep it pumped up for long range so reducing the load doesnt appear to be a great option. She fired the .270 as it is and it was waayy to much for her.

Already planning to put a decelerator pad on the butt.

Rifle is a older Savage 110, so the barrel being worth it is a consideration, not sure how much life is left in the barrel. Figure there should be a number of hunting seasons left in it, but a new gun is on the plate as well. Have not thought too much about what caliber might work for her? Looking for something to reach out to 700'ish yards, 800 even better.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be of help.

Many Thanks!
PD
On your budget look at these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13071/Product/VARMINT-BRAKE

PRI

They come already drilled and tapped so all your gunsmith needs to do is match them. On the Shrewed Brake you do have to drill the exit hole for size as well.

Last edited:
He might want to consider buying some of the Remington managed recoil loads for it for his daughter to shoot while he continues shooting the full power loads.

What the heck, she probably won't shoot a full box of them anyhow.

Harrels makes a nice break for the $$$.

Harrell's Precision Online Store

Jon
Those are sure priced reasonably.

For this application though I see a couple of problems.

The ports are directly to the sides or angled back a little which is going to make the blast/noise pretty rough on a small girl even with ear protection.

The other problem is that the ports are all the way around.

When shooting from the prone if you have ports that blow downward the blast of dust and other material is blinding and can actually throw stuff back in your face.

Last edited:
Very good info, thanks guy's!

Much cheaper than the other shop I got quoted at for them putting on a muzzle brake $250.00.
Looks like this route will make it worth a shot, pun intended :)
I am fairly confident the new pad and brake will tame it making it a new rifle for her.
She already is a shooter hopefully this will help her to get dialed in so she can reach out a bit further if needs be.

Cheers
PD

Ross Schuler has the best muzzle brake for the price anywhere, and extremely efficient.
Tell him what bore size and thread configuration you need and he can usually ship within a week.
He was in a BAD accident, but I think he is now doing some brakes, so the time frame may be a little longer.
His name, address and e-mail are in the link below.

Dave

3 Muzzle brakes for sale - Sniper's Hide Forums

My wife and my buddies wife shoot 270's as well, my rifle is a 270 WSM with a 3 port Mini Muscle brake and my wife will shoot it till there is no ammo left and ask for more, shooting 165 gr bullets. My buddies wife shoots a straight 270 she just needed a little edge taken of the recoil so we put in a Edwards recoil reducer and that was enough to smooth it out. Using the right recoil reduction is the way to go not reduced loads, IMO. They both shoot the 338 RUM's with zero issues with 4 port Muscle Brakes and we can sit beside them and enjoy blast free spotting, our wives want to come shoot with us a lot more when they can shoot and have fun not get whacked by a rifle!!!

My wife and my buddies wife shoot 270's as well, my rifle is a 270 WSM with a 3 port Mini Muscle brake and my wife will shoot it till there is no ammo left and ask for more, shooting 165 gr bullets. My buddies wife shoots a straight 270 she just needed a little edge taken of the recoil so we put in a Edwards recoil reducer and that was enough to smooth it out. Using the right recoil reduction is the way to go not reduced loads, IMO. They both shoot the 338 RUM's with zero issues with 4 port Muscle Brakes and we can sit beside them and enjoy blast free spotting, our wives want to come shoot with us a lot more when they can shoot and have fun not get whacked by a rifle!!!

And that's a BIG plus when you can get your wife to buy in to spending the $$$ on shooting:D

Ross Schuler has the best muzzle brake for the price anywhere, and extremely efficient.
Tell him what bore size and thread configuration you need and he can usually ship within a week.
He was in a BAD accident, but I think he is now doing some brakes, so the time frame may be a little longer.
His name, address and e-mail are in the link below.

Dave

3 Muzzle brakes for sale - Sniper's Hide Forums

Does he have a website??? They look pretty nice, especially for the price.

Not that you would want to shoot them a long way, but my first rifle was a .270 that we hand loaded 90 grain sierra hollowpoints in and i killed a ton of deer with that load. at 3630 FPS it was WICKED and it kicked about like a .243. I shot it when i was a 90 lb kid. My father has shot deer in the head at 350 yards with them, and they shoot about 1/4" out of his factory 1985 remmy 700 and about 1/2 out of my 1999 Remmy....Always that option.

Hey, just something to consider:

Im not what many would consider a recoil sensitive individual. In fact three of the heavier hitters I currently shoot (338 wm/300wby/& 270wsm) don't wear a brake. -although I will be putting a muscle brake on the 300 Wby after Christmas, thanks bigngreen-
But I'd WAY RATHER shoot anyone of those guns even with a migrane, & a hang over than attempt even one pull of the trigger on my cousins Savage 110 in 30-06. That $um-b!tch kicks like a Misouri mule with both feet! I think a lot of issues have a lot to do with fit of the firearm to the shooter, rather than recoil sensitivity. Everybody is built different, so maybe try a different stock on the 270 as well as the brake, & recoil pad, before you go get her a lesser cartrige to shoot to 7-800 yds with.

Just something to chew on.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.