Dry patch for barrel ?

olympicmotors

After doing a thorough cleaning of my rifle barrels, I spent all afternoon getting the copper built back up in them so they would group properly again. It took about 30 rounds each for them to start grouping consistently.

When I clean them I just can't get comfortable with not doing anything to the bores. I made the mistake last year of running in oil soaked patch down through the bores, before storing them., and that made the group's open up wildly.

Someone has suggested just running a dry patch through the bore.

What do you do to your rifles after they start grouping consistently when you clean them?

I do exactly like you did after cleaning the barrel post season only my finale patch is lightly oiled. I was taught this method by my father back in the early 1960s , we have never had the problem you have. The first shot we shot after cleaning may be off a couple inches nothing more. We always shoot at least one shot before hunting because of that , we like to dirty the barrel. Good luck hunting and be safe.

i use a cleaner that goes dry, umm hopps elite that looks like wd40 (not the foam). It has a brake cleaner like thing going on for it...so if you spray some patches and run it through, i use parker hale, it really cleans out all the carbon but doesnt do anything to the copper build up...no lube and it drys up. The only thing about POI is for the cold barrel shot, you will need to zero on that clean bore, or know the offset for it..or just dont clean it.

I run a RemOil patch through them to clean out any dust or debris, then go shoot them at the range and check zero and consistency before each hunting season. Then after the 3-shto group, if everything checks out, I just roll with it throughout the season.

I use a lightly oiled patch and always shoot before hunting. When I was hunting in Alaska, I always shot the day or so before going out from straight paranoia. I was always worried from one trip to the next that something might have happened and always checked to make sure.

After doing a thorough cleaning of my rifle barrels, I spent all afternoon getting the copper built back up in them so they would group properly again. It took about 30 rounds each for them to start grouping consistently.

When I clean them I just can't get comfortable with not doing anything to the bores. I made the mistake last year of running in oil soaked patch down through the bores, before storing them., and that made the group's open up wildly.

Someone has suggested just running a dry patch through the bore.

What do you do to your rifles after they start grouping consistently when you clean them?

Don't substitute activity for accomplishment.

I run a bore snake through it. During the hunt, after the hunt - whenever i feel i got dust, water or dirt in it. I run it dry but i know there is still some oil on it from when I get a new rifle in that caliber and i run a snake through it with oil every 5 shots.

SnT

Personally I shoot through a clean barrel instead of a fouled barrel because when I work up accuracy loads, They are fired in a cleaned barrel for each group

If you work up a load in a fouled barrel you must let the barrel foul before it will shoot your load accurately.

Fouling is by nature inconsistent because it is not uniform in it's placement. A clean barrel buy its nature is very consistent because the bore is clean and free of uneven deposits.

If you don't clean, after some point the bore will foul and settle in with some degree of accuracy and this is the way you will have to shoot to keep the accuracy you achieved with your load because that was the condition it was in when "The " load was found.

In some matches we were forced to fire 100+ rounds without cleaning and this was the reason we worked up loads for a fouled barrel. This match rifle was capable of 1/2 MOA groups with iron sites, But when the barrel was striped of all fouling, it would consistently shoot 1/4 Moa until it had enough fouling shots pushed through it.

Dry patching will work some of the time on some barrels that are pristine (No fouling) but others need one fouling shot and a dry patch to remove any oils or residuals before shooting consistent groups.

Ether way (Clean or fouled)is good if it gives you the accuracy you want But I prefer a clean barrel for best and most consistent accuracy.

Different strokes for different folks.

J E CUSTOM

I mostly shoot clean bore. Clean about every time I shoot be it 10 rounds or 50 rounds. I usually shoot two rounds after cleaning before I start shooting for groups. 50 rounds in the same day from the same rifle would be rare for me. I usually take 3 or 4 rifles to the range and rotate them to keep barrel heat under control. 120-150 rounds is an average day at the range for me but that is through 3, 4 or sometimes 5 rifles.

My hunting and competition rifles are always shot with a fouled bore. Each is tested to understand at what shot count group size or POA changes. I want my hunting rifles to go 50-100 rounds, my competition rifles (tactical/PRS),150- 200 rounds before I will clean them: unless subjected to rain/moisture. I believe that this aspect is a primary justification for a custom barrel. I clean them with BoreTech solvent, dry patch, then run a patch or two of Montana Blend Bore Conditioner down the barrel. Before the next shooting session I will wipe dry and foul the barrel with 2-5 shots...I rarely, if ever have to re-zero. I'm not a fan of over-cleaning and believe that it can do more harm then good, IMO.

I treat my hunting and competition rifles the same as Greyfox. I don't clean the bore until groups are suffering or around 300 rounds (whichever comes first) I always re-foul after cleaning before checking zero or velocity again. No sense in cleaning every 10-50 rounds. If your barrel won't hold zero after 20 rounds (fouled bore) you need a new barrel or a different load, something is wrong...

Run a couple patches with Bore Tech Eliminator on them through your bore. Brush it 10 or so times then 2 more patches of Eliminator. You can let it set that way overnight if you want. Dry patching is all thats left to do

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.