How dry is dry enough?

C-130 Dude

It's been pretty dry around here lately with the heater blowing pretty much full time. No rain or snow at all. I walked by my safe the other day and saw my temperature/humidity indicator for my safe reading really low humidity. Can't remember it ever being that low.

So, how low is too low? Or is there such a thing?

(The Outdoor section is the inside safe reading and the Indoor section is the reading from inside the building.)

20240118_125024.jpg

Well, here at 7,200 feet in Colorado, our humidity can easily drop to 8-10% routinely, and it has never caused an issue I am aware of.
It always gets dry in the winter, 8-10% is normal here too. But 1% ? That's crazy. I have an 18inch Golden Rod in the safe for about 12 years now. Does the job well.

I bet that was a huge adjustment.
I guess that I'll continue to derail the OP!
I left Louisiana…….moved to western Wyoming. It was a bit different than where I grew up……mid 90's to low teens.

Now I get the best of both worlds …..in one day. We live down in the bottoms near the Big Horn River. Early mornings (especially cool mornings) we can be in the '90's. As the temperature increases the humidity decrease……often into the low teens. memtb

I guess that I'll continue to derail the OP!
I left Louisiana…….moved to western Wyoming. It was a bit different than where I grew up……mid 90's to low teens.

Now I get the best of both worlds …..in one day. We live down in the bottoms near the Big Horn River. Early mornings (especially cool mornings) we can be in the '90's. As the temperature increases the humidity decrease……often into the low teens. memtb
You have a room for rent?
I only need it Jan 1-Dec 31.

I really want to think that 1% may be an incorrect reading…..but, I've been wrong before! 🙂 memtb
That's the first thing I thought. I pulled the sensor from another location and had reading 2%. Pulled the third one from my garage and it read 1%. Yes they all had batteries only a couple of months old. I change them out when the clocks change. Same time I change out batteries in the smoke detectors. Also the same time I pull all my guns out of the safe and clean them. (A habit I got into many years ago.) Thats how I just ran across this discovery of it being so low. All I know is my hands are cracked and no amount of lotion helps! The static is so bad, handling powder or primers may be a bit iffy. 🤪 Don't want to tempt providence. 😉