Dont hunt with a clean rifles

I clean at the end of deer season, put a patch of some kind of lube in the barrel for storage. Come the next hunting season, good practice to push a couple of dry patches down the barrel, or Lighter soaked patches, then verify zero fouling the barrel.

It is amazing at how many men do not verify their zero from year to year!

Last edited:
When you say "clean" are we talking about down to bare metal in the barrel? I will normally take my rifle to the range a week before hunting season and verify zero and maybe shoot about a dozen rounds (just for fun). I will then take 2-3 wet patches just to remove the carbon and then 3 dry patches. Im not scrubbing the barrel I just want the carbon out.

This is interesting. I consistently see my clean bore velocity slower than a fouled bore. My comp rifle gets cleaned after every match (roughly 150 rounds). After cleaning I will foul and record speeds prior to match day and I always see a 20-30 fps slower speed on my clean bore shot. After 3-5 rounds I'm back to normal and ready to go.

When you say "clean" are we talking about down to bare metal in the barrel? I will normally take my rifle to the range a week before hunting season and verify zero and maybe shoot about a dozen rounds (just for fun). I will then take 2-3 wet patches just to remove the carbon and then 3 dry patches. Im not scrubbing the barrel I just want the carbon out.
I don't think it makes sense not to clean to bare metal and then oil. I don't want to put oil on top of carbon & copper.

My Pappy tawt us'ins tah take the soft under belly skin of a recently treed coon, use a cope can as a die and cut patches out of it. Dip these'un patches in timber tiger urine, not fresh, aged a few moons. Run them skin patches thru the bore until your oak branch rod snaps (that's when you know you're done). We never killed anything but that's a different story.

I laughed so hard I peed a little lol.

Interesting - I've never seen this happen.
Same. Found a dirt dauber nested in a 22 barrel once, but no rust. Funny how so many things lasted decades being stored in wooden cabinets in unairconditioned houses, but now they're so fragile. 🤣 Only barrels I've ever had with rust in them came that way from the Bergara factory. ChorMo barrels sitting side by side in the safe with them have been just fine.

Hmm well that's not what I've heard. I've used WD40 to remove rust and as a penetrating oil. I've not used it to protect firearms against rust like an oil. I've read it can gum up firearms. But I've never left it on long enough to do so. YMMV

WD40 is famous for rusting heck out of rifle barrels!

Doesn't the WD in WD40 stand for "water displacing"?

Not that it proves anything but this is what their web site says (in part)

Prevents rust.
Tools or parts exposed to the rain, or humidity? Spray thoroughly with WD-40 Multi-Use Product then wipe clean to help prevent rust. For especially tough jobs, use the One Gallon, 5 Gallon or even the 55 gallon versions to create a WD-40 Multi-Use Product bath. Soak greasy, grimy tools to ensure they are ready to use for the next project.