Dont hunt with a clean rifles

James I made it a habit to foul my barrel for decades and then oil and dry patch for hunts. But honestly I had a previous range limitation on big game of 400 yards. I didn't have a chronograph at the time and didn't see major impact changes following this practice. But now things are different and my range is extended to 700 yards for big game. Honestly all my firearms are fouled while taking practice cold bore shots. Would oil change my impacts at long distances on a fouled barrel? I oil and then dry patch for hunts. TIA.

Dry & slightly fouled - nice smooth lapped stainless.

I routinely & extensively, bore clean after each use. The exception being prior to use where 1st shot hits are needed.

I check the zero(s) of my rifles upon leaving for some shoot. If I have shot more than 10 rounds, I clean the bore(s) at the range using what is needed, then fire 2-3 rounds at 200 yards, my usual zero range. Then it's ready to go.

My barrels are consistently fouled. Under controlled situations like range time or even varmint hunts out here in the west we don't need to worry about rain/ humidity much. That can change pretty quickly on a big game hunt in the mountains in my area. Coastal regions on the west, Alaska, or even out in the desert rain does happen. While stationed in GA you needed oil on and in firearms if you wanted it to function and to fight rust. It's just a fact of life. I can forgo oil and do keep my barrels fouled. But if rain comes or the humidity rises the oil is going to be applied. It would be good to know what changes oil and dry patch can make on a fouled barrel.

Lots of old wives' tales floating around.

Oil in the barrel WILL drop velocity.

So, push two patches of Cigarette lighter fluid down the barrel prior to hunting if you have oiled the barrel previously.

Then, go hunt.

Some simple testing at the rifle range can teach you volumes with your own equipment. On my custom barrels, fouling shot after cleaning, with no oil in the barrel, is rarely ever off more than 1/2" at the most. When I push a couple of tight patches on a punch type of jag through the barrel with cigarette lighter fluid on the patches, shots go in the group.

Not all barrels and loads produce the same results after cleaning or oil in the barrel from Storage. We learned volumes during competitive shooting concerning fouling shots. Often fouling shots that are flyers are just the shooter settling down, but we do not want to go there!

Shooting off of cheap flimsy Bi pods produces all kinds of skewed results....expensive lesson to learn.

LOL poor guy needs to find a new builder and barrel maker. My rifles built by Speedy do not vary on the first shot but maybe .10 MOA and the velocity less than 20 fps different (8 different handloaded cartridges) than the follow up shots. My rifles are always shot off of a clean barrel except during hunting season with one rifle. Clean it after the season ends in January. The competition rifles are cleaned between matches down to bare metal.

Now on a factory rifle this is normal. They like to be fouled slightly. If you ever look at a clean to the metal factory tube with a bore scope, you will see why.