Dont hunt with a clean rifles

Some confusion may come from guys that carry their rifles in "soft" cases. Many scopes get bent and some more than others. Scopes that use 6061 Al are nowhere near as tough as scopes that use 7075 Aluminum which has many characteristics as some steels.

Also, guys rarely ever consider the effect of wind on their shot placement. Switching winds are amazing in how they will affect shot placement.

Placing the front sling swivel on top of the front bag rest will absolutely have an effect on shot placement.

Custom barrels that I have in all calibers rarely ever have cold bore shot off more than 1/2", but on the other hand, old worn barrels with oil in them or dry patched, seem to have a greater problem with cold bore shots.

A man has to work out his own salvation.

For me one of the main points on James' video was the velocity change from clean bore to fouled. Fouled being more consistent. The .25 MOA change on oiled then dry patched bore suggests minimal change.

For me one of the main points on James' video was the velocity change from clean bore to fouled. Fouled being more consistent. The .25 MOA change on oiled then dry patched bore suggests minimal change.

I regularly shoot at 400yds. The difference in impact, firing a clean, oiled bore would generally be more than .25moa. I'd say that a .5moa would be much closer. However, I never really paid that much attention to the degree of misplacement.

It would be hard for me to gauge in the future because I load "fouling rounds" that are made up of older brass, bullets no longer used, and powder that I'd like to exhaust. I'll typically fire 3 rounds of the fouling ammo at a steel plate before shooting at paper for groups.

I regularly shoot at 400yds. The difference in impact, firing a clean, oiled bore would generally be more than .25moa. I'd say that a .5moa would be much closer. However, I never really paid that much attention to the degree of misplacement.

It would be hard for me to gauge in the future because I load "fouling rounds" that are made up of older brass, bullets no longer used, and powder that I'd like to exhaust. I'll typically fire 3 rounds of the fouling ammo at a steel plate before shooting at paper for groups.
For me and a gunsmith buddy of mine found the opposite. But we shot on "fouled" barrels that were oil patched and then dry patched. But honestly like you I only shot out to 400 yards. And I didn't use a chronograph so I cannot confirm velocity changes. But point of aim/ point of impact seemed spot on. Like you though since in my mind I thought all was well I didn't really pay much attention. And any discrepancies I could of wrote off as shooter error or weather conditions.

I look at this as reestablish velocity stabilization from a clean bore through chronograph. Little more effort than shooting a target at 200 etc. which is what I did.

James I made it a habit to foul my barrel for decades and then oil and dry patch for hunts. But honestly I had a previous range limitation on big game of 400 yards. I didn't have a chronograph at the time and didn't see major impact changes following this practice. But now things are different and my range is extended to 700 yards for big game. Honestly all my firearms are fouled while taking practice cold bore shots. Would oil change my impacts at long distances on a fouled barrel? I oil and then dry patch for hunts. TIA.

My Rifles shoot better clean but I sight them in with just a couple shots before season and don't Clean them until after season.

Well Brad I see it this way. James could have just said to me "No I haven't tried that combination. So I cannot advise either way.". But he actually took the time to test it out. He even stated it was a half test due to time constraints. You could always do a test out to 1000 yards. IMO it's just one sample and I use it as a guide. As always I'll do it with my own set ups. That way I'll know whether the rifle, ammo, or shooter is up to the task.
It was a jokingly made comment. I said "chuckle". I bet James has skin thick enough to handle my post.

I will say as a point of order that if I posted on here I measured an experiment by shooting in the dirt I would be skinned alive! 😆

Heck, I posted a barrel off a gun for a cleaning method post and you'd think I posted a pic of a banana growing out of my head! SO, I understand time it takes to prepare things for others. I do it all the time. Sometimes I get hated on, other times not. That is just the nature of the human species on the internet!

It was a jokingly made comment. I said "chuckle". I bet James has skin thick enough to handle my post.

I will say as a point of order that if I posted on here I measured an experiment by shooting in the dirt I would be skinned alive! 😆

Heck, I posted a barrel off a gun for a cleaning method post and you'd think I posted a pic of a banana growing out of my head! SO, I understand time it takes to prepare things for others. I do it all the time. Sometimes I get hated on, other times not. That is just the nature of the human species on the internet!
Doesn't everyone take their barrel off to clean their barrels?

This is kind of funny to me. It is only fairly recent that I came to understand a "fouled" barrel. The funny thing is, on every hunt, we ahd to fire 2-3 shots to comnfirm our rifles and did not clean them until after the hunt. So, even though I did NOT know what I was doing at the time, I always hunted with a "fouled" barrel

I always clean my barrels since I live in an area with higher humidity and gun powder residue in the barrel attracts moisture......which leads to rust.
Now, I did learn a trick from Speedy Gonzalez where he runs a patch with liquid graphite down the barrel after he cleans it. It essentially makes the barrel act like it's fouled and gives you the same cold bore POI as if it had a couple fouling shots. Erik Cortina posted a video, not too long after I learned this from Speedy, of him going over his barrel cleaning method and he talks about using the liquid graphite

My Pappy tawt us'ins tah take the soft under belly skin of a recently treed coon, use a cope can as a die and cut patches out of it. Dip these'un patches in timber tiger urine, not fresh, aged a few moons. Run them skin patches thru the bore until your oak branch rod snaps (that's when you know you're done). We never killed anything but that's a different story.

Recent Posts