Do you use sealer or moisture sealer on your reloads?

Do you use moisture sealer on your reloads? If so, whats your preference? What loads do you use it on-pistol, rifle, shotgun? What type-training, plinking, hunting, precision? Is it even necessary? Stay safe and have fun.
On a few loads, I have used finger nail polish on the primer edges (applied with a tooth pick), and I have experimented with Camp Dry sprayed on the primer and base. Most of these were either specific handgun rounds, some hunting ammo for wet weather hunting in humid and rainy areas, and some shot shell reloads for duck hunting. The shot shells also had a thin application of paraffin to the closure of the crimp.

Even without sealants, I can only think of two times I had a load that failed due to rain and moisture, and one of those was a muzzle loader in an all day rain. I solved that by applying a thin coat of wax around the nipple prior to capping. ( a friend once used a very thin piece of kitchen plastic sandwich wrap over his nipple and cap) The other was a reloaded shot shell that I had dropped in the water and placed back in my vest pocket. Later that day, I tried it, and it failed.

Last edited:
I don't know where you live in regards to environment. I have kept my ammo in Temp controlled storage (inside) unless I use it or take it with me. I have tried sealer one time back in early 90's. What a freaking waste of time and effort for me. I load range ammo for pistol (8 Cartridges), rifle (2 Cartridges, and shoot it when I grab that bucket. I only load it when I get down to less than a bucket. Some sits loaded for 4-5 years just on the floor. I load my rifle ammo similar and again some will sit for decades on the shelf. I gave my kid a 06 and the the loaded ammo (over 400 rounds) and some was loaded in the late 90's. I use it in all temperatures from 100 down to low single digits and sub zero some. Always goes bang and doesn't get old.

I don't seal my ammo, but if I have to shoot in the rain, I spray my bullets with Boeshield T-9, it is used in the airline industry to coat planes to prevent icing.
My bullets punch through rain like Mike Tyson running through contenders. Or like the old captions in Batman and Robin fight scenes, pow, bang, kerplunk, etc....
BT9.jpg

Sealers do have their place, and if one is planning a hunting trip into very wet and humid climates where a lot of rain can be expected, it may be worth one's effort to seal your primary hunting rounds. I've hunted some very WET areas where it could rain on and off for days, and the last thing one wants when that hard earned final moment presents itself is to hear "snap". And then watch your game disappear, or in some cases, charge!

I have used it before but haven't in many years. I have never had an issue due to water with centerfire handgun or rifle. Shotshells I have had an issue but using hulls in good condition with a single drop of candlewax on the center of the crimp stopped all issues there. Later I stopped doing the candlewax and still had no issues so no more of that either, apparently using good hulls was the cure to water ingress. Whodathunkit? LOL.

I've got handloads from the early 80's that still shoot just like they did the day I loaded them, they have been hauled all over the place in all kinds of weather and the go pew pew when you squeeze the trigger. 38 Super Auto, 225 Winchester and 243. Shotgun shells are a whole different animal, wax the crimps if they are going anywhere near the water.

I've had ammo go bad from water only once in 30+ years of shooting. I was helping my brother run up a few rounds with the 300rum he had at the time and used some older brass with marginal primer pockets... It started raining and we kept shooting with the ammo out. Next thing you know we had a couple of ftf's... I pulled down the rounds and the primers weren't very tight in the pocket on every one that ftf'd. I tossed that brass right quick.

As to Markon sealant, I will NEVER use it on the bullet end of a round I load again. I bought some after the 300rum incident and played with it a bit. Every group with sealed bullets flat sucked. The stuff was depositing in the bore and screwing with my chi, so to speak. The sealant is sitting on my bench gathering dust as of now. I'll use wax or cast bullet lube if I ever want to seal ammo again. Tight/ fresh brass should be enough for the vast majority of situations we will encounter.

I never bothered with shotgun and pistol loads. With my precision rifle reloads for competition and LR hunting, I don't water—proof, but keep them stored in a dry, temperature controlled area, and for this use, rarely use loaded ammo that's more then a season or two old……usually less.
I too use the temp/humidity controlled storage. My hunting loads are all sealed and I have some still in stock I did back in 2015. Use the stock often. Never had a problem with misfire from moisture issues. I also put dessicant packs in my storage boxes, checking them annually.