How long do you use your tumbling media?

wstanton

Hello all,

I searched the forum search, and found nothing on how long anyone uses their corncob or walnut media before replacing it? Especially if anyone noticed that their dirty cases affected their accuracy. I've seen the stainless media stuff and it looks awesome, however 200-300 bucks is not an option right now. and 10$ /lb of media change every here and there is do-able. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Really depends.....What I've been noticing is that if I wash/dry the range brass before it goes into the tumbler the media will last longer. Clean brass will help the media last for thousands of rounds but one batch of dirty brass can/will ruin the media.
Sand and dust can be a little hard on the dies but generally nice shiny brass may make you feel better but do nothing for accuracy....specially with a factory barrel.

I change when I start to see a ring of buildup around the sides of the tumbler after cleaning. This ring can be easily cleaned out with a little 409, but it indicates to me that my media is no longer able to contain the polish/ crud residue. Corncob, in my system, does this much more quickly than walnut.

Corncob usually lasts 5-10 cleanings. Walnut has gone for 20-30 runs before needing a change.

stopped tumbling brass yrs ago, I just wipe w/ Crazy cloth or Nevr Dull just before sizing. The only thing I use the tumbler for now is coating bullets w/ Danzac. I do this to both competition and hunting brass

I also sonic clean and let my brass dry overnight before tumbling. I often have found that for me tumbling for 8-10 hours gets them brand new looking inside and out. Your media also lasts longer if you thoroughly clean and dry them first.

I reload and clean brass alot (some months on a weekly basis) and shoot at the range alot (usually 2-3 times a month, sometimes every weekend), and I change my media about every 6 months.

I use Walnut and have rarely changed it. Every once in awhile I'll hit it with some activator, other than that maybe twice a year i change it out completely

About twice a year, I tumble brass with a dryer sheet in with the brass. It'll clean a lot of the gunk from the tumbler bowl, brass, and the media. I ultrasonic most range brass, let it dry for 2-3 days, then tumble 6-8 hours. Brass looks new.

Long time....till it seems like it wont scrub cases clean...I'll add some things to freshen it some but eventually it all gets pitched

Since I switched to the STM stainless tumbling media it lasts forever. But then so does my corn cob media now because I will never use it again.:)

jeff

I'll echo that. Thanks Jeff!!! :D

It really is the only way to go.
I was skeptical when I first got it...It works so well I have never even looked at my old tumbler again.

No Fuss no Muss and no Dust!

and clean primer pockets:)

The stainless media sounds very interesting, that said I usually use walnut and it usually lasts maybe several hundred rounds give or take. I've also noticed that if you use Imperial sizing wax or something similar it does a good job cleaning brass walls and a few twists of a scotch brite pad cleans necks very well.

The stainless media sounds very interesting, that said I usually use walnut and it usually lasts maybe several hundred rounds give or take. I've also noticed that if you use Imperial sizing wax or something similar it does a good job cleaning brass walls and a few twists of a scotch brite pad cleans necks very well.

Yup!
I still use 0000 steel wool if I am in a hurry to reload some cases...Works very well.

You really do owe it to yourself to try the SS media!
In case you haven't noticed I am very particular about my reloading process ( :) ). I am very slow to change and both analytical and methodical about the smallest things...This stuff won me over pretty much right away...Unreal.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.