Stainless Tumbling Media... anyone use this?

I don't have one yet, but my buddy has one. I gave him some of my 270 win and 17 FBL brass. Both looked great after tumbling. However, the 17's got pins hung up inside the cases. The only downside I can see. Primer pockets and inside carbon all gone. They did have some water spots on them, not sure if they got dried properly. He is still working out how to dry them.

I bought one after visiting their booth at the Salt Lake City Expo last year. I was shocked at how good it worked! I even picked up some old steel, crusty brass and aluminum range brass just to see how it would turn out. Amazing results.
My first time I used it I didn't rinse them well enough and had bad water spots. The only problem I have is pins getting stuck in the neck and flashhole. I check each one and poke any out any I find with a pick.
Two thumbs up for SS tumbling!:D

I have been using this set up for as long as when it became a isue. Have had no problems other than once in a while a piece of the stainless will get hung. Just check every piece and there will be no problem. Lemi shine does work better than cream of tarter, They use it with the brass media. I blow dri with air hose and they ready to load. I load 22.250, 6.5, 380, 45, 10mm, 7mag, 40cal, 30.06, 223 an a couple more what I am saying is the set up works and your brass will look new.
Geno

One more thing about STM co., I get on LRH and give a glowing report for Stainless Steel Media. I mention one little drawback about the pins sticking in the primer pocket and the necks. Not often, but once in a while. I get an PM from someone named Trevor, who apparently works for STM and he wants to make it right with me. Really? I wasn't even griping about it. What a company!! STM for president!!

One more thing about STM co., I get on LRH and give a glowing report for Stainless Steel Media. I mention one little drawback about the pins sticking in the primer pocket and the necks. Not often, but once in a while. I get an PM from someone named Trevor, who apparently works for STM and he wants to make it right with me. Really? I wasn't even griping about it. What a company!! STM for president!!

I found that I'm only getting the pins stuck in the primer holes of Winchester brand brass, FWIW, and 25 caliber necks.

Just an observation - if you note the same I'd be interested in hearing it.

PS the stainless media works great for making original but used GM temperature senders look like new, too. :D

What a great company! I stopped at the mailbox on the way home from work and low and behold, there's a package from STM. They, (Trevor) sent me a package of SS media! I didn't ask or complain about their product, they just wanted to make sure I had no problems with their product. I'll pay this one forward. Chuck.

Tyey be a good place to do buisness with, when this all started they were having trouble with the media stiking in the 260, cause I own one he warne me about some sticking but this is the new size an if you have any trouble call me. None was the call an I gues it is still the same as it still works for me an the lord only knows how many loads of brass it has cleaned. You are rite Vette they be exzelent to work with.
geno

I just got mine last week and noticed the same thing about the media getting caught sidways in the neck of my 25-06 brass. Is this common and is the new SS their comming out with in April supposed to do away with this problem? Thank's, Brad

Occasionally a pin will stick in a case here and there, mostly in the smaller calibers like 22 up to 6.5. Just inspect each case with a AA Maglite, I use a bent paper clip with a small hook to free them and then throw those pins away. Out of 100 cases I may have up to a dozen, more so in hornet cases. SST is the real deal for like new brass that needs no primer pocket cleaning or polishing, good stuff, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

I just got mine last week and noticed the same thing about the media getting caught sidways in the neck of my 25-06 brass. Is this common and is the new SS their comming out with in April supposed to do away with this problem? Thank's, Brad

I've run a few loads of Wby 257 Mag cases this week, and about half of them have a pin or 3 that get stuck side ways when you first take them out. There are a few that stick as well when you remove the pins. I did a 7mm Wby load tonight and they just run out like water - far easier.

The worst is probably 25-06 Winchester brass - the pins stick in both ends! :D

Just got a new thumbler tumbler s/s kit from sinclair but no instructions on brass prep. Easy to set up. How much water in the drum ? How do you seperate the ss media from water and brass? The only instructions I got was for polishing rocks ! Thanks, Dan

Found info on another thread. Going to try it tonight.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.