Having an issue with stainless media tumbling

Remmy700

So was talking with another member on here that seen same problem as I am having. Basically I will put deprimed brass in my tumbler and run a cycle of an hour to an hour 1/2 depending on condition of brass. I specifically checked this batch of brass prior to tumbling. Once I got the brass out and dried and examined again a large majority of the case mouths have a very small flare. It is very very hard to see as you have to hold the case in the light and just find the right angle. I am wondering if perhaps my tumbler is to big for just 100 pcs of small brass, or maybe to much media? I have no idea but something in the tumbling process is causing this. Has anyone seen this before running SS media? I tried to get a pic but I cant get it to show up. Any help would be appreciated, I am about to swap back to old school vibratory if I cant figure it out.

Running a rebel 17 extreme tumbler.
5AD6A486-23C2-4CEC-87BA-381F8349D008.jpeg

I did when I first started tumbling but it didn't seem like long enough cycle but I am more than willing to try that.
I use the FART and their brass cleaning solution ( 4 capfulls/tub) and most of my brass is clean within 30-45 minutes

how much media are you using? I usually only use 2-3 pounds unless I'm filling it to max capacity---the less brass you tumble, the less media you need and the less time you need to tumble it for

I tried all the home concoctions like, lemi-shine, etc and they just dont clean near as well as the store bought solution

I am running two pounds, and usually only cleaning around 100 pcs at a time. Might try some new solution also then I just use lemi shine and dawn. But what you are inferring is that my cycle is two long and that could be perhaps what is causing the problem? I got another batch to clean today I will try shorter cycle.

I am running two pounds, and usually only cleaning around 100 pcs at a time. Might try some new solution also then I just use lemi-shine and dawn.
i finally gave up on "saving $" and making my own solution --it was never right --too much lemi-shine and your brass turns pink, too much dawn and you get lots of foam/bubbles --for $15 a bottle, the fart brass solution works great with no guessing every time

are you sizing after cleaning? if so it should straighten those necks right out anyway, but I understand the concern as it could be over working the neck if its flaring it

I do size immediately after they dry and it does take most of the flare out but you can still see it if you look really hard. Prolly wont hurt nothing I am sure as most all my guns are no turn necks but just aggravating.

I get pretty good results from my standard vibratory tumbler. The brass doesn't come out with a perfect mirror finish , but it's pretty nice .

Another benefit is that standard a vibratory tumbler with traditional media leaves a small amount of carbon in the neck . I believe that it helps prevent cold welding and I've proven that it lowers ES and SD in my loads .

I get pretty good results from my standard vibratory tumbler. The brass doesn't come out with a perfect mirror finish , but it's pretty nice .

Another benefit is that standard a vibratory tumbler with traditional media leaves a small amount of carbon in the neck . I believe that it helps prevent cold welding and I've proven that it lowers ES and SD in my loads .
Yeah I always had good results with standard tumblers and media also I am kinda leaning back that way now. I use dry lube to hit the necks up in super clean brass now and I could eliminate that step going back to vibratory.

Yeah I always had good results with standard tumblers and media also I am kinda leaning back that way now. I use dry lube to hit the necks up in super clean brass now and I could eliminate that step going back to vibratory.
Good idea! I've never bought into to the wet/pin method. Vibrating with walnut or corncob (only the fine screen size) gets my brass plenty clean. Because I anneal every firing, I still choose to use dry imperial inside necks, as the annealing seems to change the texture of neck carbon. Also, I think it makes the expander mandrel run smoother.

I only use the SS tumbler if the brass is extremely dirty. An hour in the ultrasonic gets the PP clean (or clean enough). I size before either function as I use a mandrel or a Lee Collet Neck Sizer before reloading.