Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 887 49.7%
  • No, I don't shoot over 300 yards.

Votes: 162 9.1%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 737 41.3%

• Total voters
In my opinion this is not long range hunting / shooting. If you were to crank up your turret for a long shot out there at 800 or 1000 and was to induce the 1 degree cant that Len is talking about you would see the levels are needed. That simple. For stalking in tight areas and a 200 to 300 yards shot, then no you don't need one. The levels are for long range and very necessary.

Jeff
I've killed mule deer at over 700 yards out from sitting. I spot and stalk in the badlands in ND and the shots are usually quick. Just how I play the game, nothing more nothing less.

The need for a LEVEL.

The concept is one that is difficult to understand. With the tremendous speed, FPS, we have available to us, Understanding the pull of gravity on a projectile
is difficult to comprehend.

To simplify the problem, it depends on whether you are satisfied with hitting
the side of a barn with a 10 foot group or grouping your shots on a pin head.

The range I shoot at is as good and well maintained as any. However I checked the cement deck with a 10 foot level and found it to be on about
a 12 degree slope. You can't tell it by looking, It looks level and square.

Sitting at a shooting bench I got to wondering why the level on my rifle was about half a bubble off when I set up. Therefore the level check.

The Compound Olympic Archer shooting at 90 meters is not concerned with
hitting a 9 inch gold, his goal is to hit the three inch X ring in the gold at 90 meters. You can bet hard money there is a level on his bow.

To hit a 3x4 foot target at 1000 yards with todays rifle and aiming systems
is relatively easy. I hit one twice last week and I turned 80 in February.
But to shoot a group the size of the one Len shot compared with a dollar
bill is another thing.

It's a BIG thing, it's the Earth's GRAVITY pulling the projectile back to center.

The Old time Bow Hunters were always saying "lean the upper limb into the
hill." How much? well that's the lesson you learn with time.

Practice Practice Practice.

This is a long thread and I don't remember if the following has been stated, maybe even by me.
Approximate with a very flat shooting rifle:
If you cant your rifle 6 degrees, similar to one minute on the face of a clock, you introduce 12 inches of horizontal error at 700 yards. If my math is wrong feel free to correct.

12 inch of horizontal error for a 6 degree cant indicates a drop of: 1/tan(6) * 1 ft = 9.51 feet
The time for gravity to cause a 9.51 drop =16* T^2 so T = sqrt(9.51/16) = .77 seconds.
Shooting a 0.60 BC bullet at 3312 fps or a 0.70 BC bullet at 3218 fps would give 0.77 seconds time of flight. and the cant error above. Cant error like drop, expressed as an angle or linear measurement, is directly proportional to the square of the time of flight.

This is a long thread and I don't remember if the following has been stated, maybe even by me.
Approximate with a very flat shooting rifle:
If you cant your rifle 6 degrees, similar to one minute on the face of a clock, you introduce 12 inches of horizontal error at 700 yards. If my math is wrong feel free to correct.

12 inch of horizontal error for a 6 degree cant indicates a drop of: 1/tan(6) * 1 ft = 9.51 feet
The time for gravity to cause a 9.51 drop =16* T^2 so T = sqrt(9.51/16) = .77 seconds.
So shooting a 0.60 BC bullet at 3312 fps or a 0.70 BC bullet at 3218 fps would give 0.77 seconds time of flight at 700 yards an the horizontal errror discussed above. Cant error, like drop, expressed as an angle or linear measurement is directly proportional to the square of the time of flight.

Moombaskjer,

Good, I shoot with one on my 7mm. It's part of my
shot sequence. I'm just finishing up my Marlin 223 X7VH. changed out
the synthectic (plastic) stock for a walnut wood stock. Bedded with pillars
and floating barrel.

Shot it today, with a 4 shot group of .79" @ 100 yds and a 1" group
@ 200 yds. Hornady V-Max 55 gr, pushed by 23.3 gr of H4895.

I haven't put on a level yet but it's next on the list.

Have them on every rifle owned. Used to use Vortex models that mounted on the scope. Now use the type that mount to the scope rail. I find that the ones that mount on the rail actually make is easier to mount the scope reticle vertical to the rifle. I reload and tweak things a lot, always working for better accuracy. I feel the levels help eliminate a possible variable when testing how a particular bullet seating depth ect. affects accuracy.

I've used one for about a year on a 6x47 Lapua, and now it annoys me that I don't have one on every one of my other guns! Call me OCD i guess...

Another factor... I've always made sure to buy bipods with a swiveling head to make leveling your rifle easier.

CB11WYO,

Since I mount my level on my sight mount rails and the mounts are level across
the barrel. I can use the level on any of my rifles with a scope.

There's nothing better than practice, practice and more practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.