Do you put anything between your rings and scope tube?

I can't imagine using rings that fit so poorly as to have room in them for something like rubber cement.

Likewise I feel that those who claim that quality rings don't need to be lapped or bedded are missing the point that if the action is off, or the base is off, or the rings are off (in spite of themselves), or any combination of those possibilities that it doesn't matter how high a quality they are, the scope is going to get pinched, crimped, or bent.

That bend that L.Sherm mentioned seeing in bases? I've seen it on both of my last rail type mounting jobs. I do not recall the mfg of the older base, but the newer base was an EGW. The older base was for a later Savage and was lapped to fit. The EGW base was for a Howa 1500 Mini and was bedded to fit with no stress, bend, or tension. The lightweight Talley's used on another 1500 Mini needed a fair amount of lapping before they were aligned, and that was after bedding them with an alignment bar in place.

Back in the day. A long time ago. I/we would use violin bow rosin powder to use between the scope rings. Never had an issue with the scope moving on magnum rifles.

Today the quality of rings and bases are entirely different.

The comments on this post are hilarious. Thanks for making me laugh. Have a good day. Now I need to go wash my Prius (Joking)

Use powdered rosin when mounting scopes in rings. You can buy a ten-life supply from Miday or Brownells (1lb, 450gm for the metric types here) for $20-25. It's one of it's intended uses.

Only time I ever did it was to get moa's on a large handgun with a scope. Have lapped other rings, but the Nightforce rings with new scope - they said do not lap.

I had a fellow tell me awhile back about someone going to a competition match in the UP with his scope duct taped onto his rifle. I can't vouch for the veracity of this as I didn't observe it myself, so this is hearsay. The part that makes it plausible, is that it took place in the UP :)

Last edited:
OMG! I've owned some mule kicking beasts over the years. Never had a scope slip in the rings. During my younger years, many moons ago, I did have a 300 Weatherby buck a B&L detachable scope off the rifle. In those days, it was difficult to find a scope that could take Weatherby recoil and hold together. B&L was one of the first scopes to have the crosshair etched in glass with no moving parts in the scope. The adjustments were all in the bases. The idea was one could have one scope and use it on multiple rifles. I put a stronger spring on the detachment rod to keep the scope aboard. The old German made Mark V was pretty, but recoil was punishing. Been a 300 Win Mag guy ever since I sold that mean machine.

When I was a raw kid back in the 1970s, I think I remember reading (Jack O'Conner maybe, maybe someone else), about putting thin strips of paper on the top and bottom ring before mounting scopes.

So, I did, I used those address strips you get from outfits like Trout Unlimited.

I can't remember when i quit doing it, but I haven't done it on the last 5 or 6 scope mountings.

Just as an aside, I saw that FiftyDriver used 2 sets of scope rings on some of his heavier kicking rifles. He never mentioned using any additives.

Interesting how much variation there is in all the replies. Bottom line is use whatever works for what you have. Big differences between ring quality/dimensions and how well they grip. I usually use Burris Signature rings - never any problems, never and scratches. With other rings I have used rubber cement, seems to grip better and reduce ring marks (sort of like a make-your-own Burris signature ring). Also what works on a 223 won't always work on a 458.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.