Do you put anything between your rings and scope tube?

Jon Bischof

I Just read a tip a few days ago that recommended a small dab of rubber cement on the rings when mounting a scope. Do you use anything between the rings and tube when final mounting a scope? If so, what and how do you do it?

No, absolutely not.

I don't why anyone would :oops:

The only thing I do is align & lap the rings.

Not even any Loctite is required on the screws.

Just make sure you have a torque wrench & toque to the specs of what your using.

Whatever source you read that from I would not read anything from ever again!
Rubbish!
Utter rubbish!!

Here is the thing!!
1. if your scope is slipping in a certain set of rings no matter what ...find a different set of rings preferably one from the say the top 5 in the industry .
2. if your scope is slipping in say 6 screw Night force rings, spuhr, seekins or any of the premier ring manufacturers on lets say a 300 norma mag with a atacr on it ... you need to get a different torque wrench.
3. if you have to bed or glue your 2k plus optic to your rings to get a "better grip" on the scope.. you need to buy a different torque wrench. many a many world records have been set without having to do this so why start now

I've mounted 100's of scopes only had one slip.. changed rings to nightforce 6 screw problem solved!!

Last edited:
I dont bed for a better grip on a scope, I bed for stress free and better alignment on a scope even NF rings and rail.
That is one reason why I asked this question. I wondered if there is something we can do to relieve stress and also prevent slippage at the same time--but without gluing the scope to the rings.

I bed for stress free and better alignment on a scope even NF rings and rail.
^^^^^^^^This!
0F504279-34DF-4C11-86F6-F2624AB6FC1E.jpeg40BBFB97-C7AA-4B4C-BEA0-36557055B25C.jpeg
Warne rings on a Murphy Precision rail.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.