Do you use a sunshade on your scope?

midmo

Do they help enough it's worth it to get one? I am looking at one that comes in 3 or 5 inch. 5 seems kind of long but not sure if the length difference will affect my sight picture by much. Will any brand in my objective size fit? By that I mean do some companies use different threading?

Only on target rifles, (They get in my way hunting).

They are very effective for some applications, And yes they need to be compatible with the scope brand because of threads.

The really long ones also help to keep the mirage off the barrel out of the line of site when shooting rapid fire matches.

If you are going to hunt and match shoot with the rifle you can take it off when you need to without
altering your POI.

Try a short one first and then you can decide.

J E CUSTOM

My son's Vortex came with a shade and we have always used it. I have not seen any detriment to using it. He likes it cause it looks cool.:cool:

Steve

My son's Vortex came with a shade and we have always used it. I have not seen any detriment to using it. He likes it cause it looks cool.:cool:

Steve

A few of my scopes came with sunshades and yes it gives you that tacticool factor but like Jerry said, it can get in your way during hunting. :D

I have a honey comb sunshade and anti-glare on one of my scopes that you might consider >>> Rifle Scope Accessories - Sun shades, flip open lens covers, scope levels, cheek rests, and other riflescope gadgets.

A few of my scopes came with sunshades and yes it gives you that tacticool factor but like Jerry said, it can get in your way during hunting. :D

I have a honey comb sunshade and anti-glare on one of my scopes that you might consider >>> Rifle Scope Accessories - Sun shades, flip open lens covers, scope levels, cheek rests, and other riflescope gadgets.

I too use a Kill Flash honey comb cover. But I use a 3"-4" sunshade on my scopes the the manufacturer offers... Some of my scopes have both, and it helps when shooting into to sun..

You have to have one for a cheap scope. I'll never use one again, if the scope can't deal with difficult conditions it's not for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.