Do you put anything between your rings and scope tube?

I was just wondering as 240 grit will lap pretty fast were as 600 grit takes a long time but produces a smoother finish . I check how much I need to remove then use the grit I need depending on how much material I need to remove .

Have you ever put a NF rail on a factory action and looked at eye level between the top of the action and bottom of rail, I will bet money atleast 50% of the time theres a gap in the front or rear so when you tighten the screws down now what, a Banana.
No I have not had that happen with the two factory 700 actions. Other than that I have three defiance actions and a tac A1. Never had any issue with any of them.

You have to screw one end down first, atleast 50% of the factory actions I do this to have a gap under the other end.

@L.Sherm

Thank you so much again for your advice. This here is a Winchester 70 in .270 Weatherby Magnum with a Warne mountain tech rail and 1" vortex pro rings with a new Leupold VX-3i 4-14x40 CDS. I made a test lap to find out a baseline and it was spot on. I cleaned it with alcohol and steel wool, wiped it clean and applied a thin layer of JB weld. Left it overnight and this is the results. To me it also helps as it won't spin as easily with the epoxy bedding versus bare lapped which might make it hold better without any added torque on the screws and no ring marks if I plan to change scopes, etc. I will never use a base or rings unbedded ever again. Thanks again brother!!! Aloha from Hawaii

Attachments

• 5E04C1EE-F517-483D-A78E-0ABA179491BC.jpeg
    5E04C1EE-F517-483D-A78E-0ABA179491BC.jpeg
    696.9 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.