Do you put anything between your rings and scope tube?

I Just read a tip a few days ago that recommended a small dab of rubber cement on the rings when mounting a scope. Do you use anything between the rings and tube when final mounting a scope? If so, what and how do you do it?
I let the rings then I clean them with degreaser then I'll tighten them to the factory specs and I use Loctite on the top screws on the scope mounts and if you put a rail on the Rifle are use Loctite on the small screws on the rail and I haven't had any problems

Part of the time people have problems by lapping a little to much and the ring halves pretty much bottom out that might give reason for a little something on the rings never used rubber cement but have used a small amount of automotive silicone on rings I didn't feel tightened up quite right it has worked fine. David

It is interesting to see everyone's experience with rings and mounts. I started hunting in the 60's and the prevalent scope was the Weaver with the corresponding Weaver mounts and rings. The rings were the J type, and as you all know are flexible enough to conform to some degree to the scope. We were taught to use a 1 inch machined bar to ensure the alignment of the scope in the rings. Then use finger nail polish on the screws attaching the mounts to the receiver only, clean the scope and rings at the mating surfaces with alcohol and tighten all of the screws firmly. We didn't have anything like the Wheeler Torque screw drivers. Then we used a piece of electrical tape on either side of the rings to determine if the scope slipped during sighting in the rifle. This worked for me on all calibers up through the 338WM for a number of years. I didn't notice any slippage with that arrangement.
Then came the Redfield scopes and attachment hardware. As you know the rings were not flexible, but the mounts allowed one to align the rings laterally, and the rings had two screws on either side. It looked more stout than the Weaver system, and it was much easier to get the scope reticle in alignment with the barrel. I switched to Redfield for most of the rifles. But I did not notice any slippage with the Redfield system either.
Then Leupold and even Redfield switched to rings having only two screws per ring and about one-half the bearing surface as the old Redfield rings. I was leery of using that system.
So there are sooo many systems for attaching a scope, and the folks on this forum have used them all so that I have two questions.
- Has anyone experienced the slippage of a scope that was properly attached using the manufacturer's recommendations and how have you determined the slippage?
- I got the Wheeler Torque screw driver a few years ago and am reluctant to apply 25 to 28 in. lbs. to a No 8 screw on a ring to base. I get to about 23 and it feels like any more torque will break it or damage the screw so I won't be able to remove it.
Thanks for you counsel.

NOOOOOOOO! And buy quality rings that don't need to be lapped. Lapping allows for a loose tolerance if not done perfectly. A good set of rings such as Nightforce, Seekens, Spuhr, etc. are machined far more precisely than you can ever lap by hand.
Have you ever put a NF rail on a factory action and looked at eye level between the top of the action and bottom of rail, I will bet money atleast 50% of the time theres a gap in the front or rear so when you tighten the screws down now what, a Banana.

Last edited:
I Just read a tip a few days ago that recommended a small dab of rubber cement on the rings when mounting a scope. Do you use anything between the rings and tube when final mounting a scope? If so, what and how do you do it?
Had my 308 suddenly shoot way off. Discovered when scope had been mounted, someone had slipped some very thin tape inside the rings. Once removed, problem solved. Recently had similar issue with Howa 6.5 Creedmoor. Checked scoped mounting, same tape. Removed tape, cleaned all surfaces with acetone and grouping went from .75moa down to under .25moa. I think that might answer your question. 😊

I lap the rings then zero the scope by moving the mounts to almost point of impact. Then epoxy putty the inside of the rings making sure the scope has a proven wax release agent coated on the tube. Assemble the scope and mount using thumb and index finger force on the screw driver shaft.
Wipe off all the epoxy putty and release agent with methylated spirits. The rings will bear 100%, not marking the scope and installed 100% stress free. The new scope will be centered and not move internally.

Bingoc ,I still have a couple of the Redfield mounts and rings in use . I've never had a problem with them . I have had trouble with some of the cheaper aluminum rings letting a scope slip .

Please excuse me if I'm hijacking this thread, that's not my intention. But I just put together a Ruger for my son with their steel rings and had to lap for 30 mins. Those steel rings are no joke and their ring design SUCKS and I'm not confident it will hold a heavy scope under recoil from a 300 RCM. I was gonna install the scope tonight I just got a brand new replacement. That's another story all together.... but this thread is making me think of other options and throwing away these Ruger rings!!

Please excuse me if I'm hijacking this thread, that's not my intention. But I just put together a Ruger for my son with their steel rings and had to lap for 30 mins. Those steel rings are no joke and their ring design SUCKS and I'm not confident it will hold a heavy scope under recoil from a 300 RCM. I was gonna install the scope tonight I just got a brand new replacement. That's another story all together.... but this thread is making me think of other options and throwing away these Ruger rings!!
Just bed them and all will be good.

In conclusion we have those who say if you buy the top tier most expensive rings you don't need to use anything between your rings and your scope tube. Others who say epoxy bedding is the way to go. And we have others who say they do use rubber cement, electrical tape, latex cut from a latex glove, spray adhesive, liquid rubber, cash register receipts, mailing labels, rosin, cornstarch, and various other things to increase the grip. One guy on another thread even mentioned using lapping compound between the rings and the scope. Oh and let's not forget super glue and I would like to add Flex Seal liquid rubber because "that's a lot of damage" some of these rifles can do. So that about clears it up, thank you everyone. 😜

In conclusion we have those who say if you buy the top tier most expensive rings you don't need to use anything between your rings and your scope tube. And we have others who say they do use rubber cement, electrical tape, latex cut from a latex glove, spray adhesive, liquid rubber, cash register receipts, mailing labels, rosin, cornstarch, and various other things to increase the grip. One guy on another thread even mentioned using lapping compound between the rings and the scope. Oh and let's not forget super glue and I would like to add Flex Seal liquid rubber. So that about clears it up, thank you everyone. 😜
Most everything talked about is addressing slippage, theres alot more to mounting rings and bases for a scope than slippage, to be honest that's the least of my concerns.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.