Do you always lap your scope rings?

I use Nightforce rings and never lapped them and I have never understood why I would. I mean, what is to gain from lapping other than the possibility of screwing up an expensive set of rings?
I suppose I could understand if I absolutely had to make do with a $25 set of Walmart rings and I was trying to make them more precise.
To me lapping precision rings makes as much sense as people who "prep" Lapua brass straight of of the box.

I like Badger and Near Mfg rings and bases.

Never had a problem with Leupolds except the QD ,units, the lever would turn 360 deg and not lock the ring into the base, won't get them again.
I don't see the advantage of Badgers over Warne, for the money. Traditional Leupold STD and dual dovetail rings always have pinch points at the corners from the way they are made.

I bed all my rails/bases to the action and then test run lapping on the rings once they are mounted to the rail. My theory was that most expensive rings should already show a fair amount of contact. A couple of quick passes with minimal compound reveals the high spots. I have been amazed that most times the rings (yes, even expensive ones) have only 20% to 25% contact. I lap and remove as much material as need to get upwards of 70% contact with barrel of scope. The downside of lapping is that in can sometimes leave a 'silver' band on the scope barrel when removed. I have taken to waxing the inside rings to try to avoid this. Bedding is beginning to sound easier....

I don't think these expensive rings are that bad on their own, but when you couple their small deviations with that of a base that also has its own deviations, it magnifies them to the point where minor torquing issues begin to potentially minimize the contact.

Not saying this is how it is, just saying this has been my own experience.

I've lapped every set of Leupold rings I've ever used. Recently, I put a set of Warne Mountain Tech rings on one of my rifles and it was recommended by Warne NOT to lap them. So I didn't. I really like those rings.
I quit using Leupild rings due to lapping.

I don't see the advantage of Badgers over Warne, for the money. Traditional Leupold STD and dual dovetail rings always have pinch points at the corners from the way they are made.

Not saying that there is an advantage of Badgers over Warne, I've never used Warne.

Like others have said... any good rings do not need to be lapped.

This is 2019, rings and things are made with better tolerances and the old Dove Tail style ring system is a thing of the past. Are you adjusting your carburetor any more? Not unless your car still has one.... see the point

Do you always lap your scope rings? How about on shorter range only setups (under 300 yards)? What lapping tools do you use?
I don't. Quality rings don't require lapping from what I've read. If the allignment bars look good, I roll with it. In 20+ years, I've lapped rings once or twice. Lapping compound made a mess and proved to be more of a hassle than it was worth.

I use American Rifle Co. M-10 rings they do not require lapping & they do not leave ring marks on your scope. I have used them for about 4 years now & will not use any other rings.
Do you always lap your scope rings? How about on shorter range only setups (under 300 yards)? What lapping tools do you use?

If you use a high quality ring like Nightforce, Spurh, Seekens, or something similar than no you should not lap them. Lapping will only introduce the possibility of decreasing the tolerance. Nightforce for example will not warranty a lapped ring. With the precision of modern manufacturing the high end rings are better than anything you can lap by hand.

CNC is only as good as the program and the cutting tools.

I use American Rifle Co. M-10 rings they do not require lapping & they do not leave ring marks on your scope. I have used them for about 4 years now & will not use any other rings.[/QUOTE

Last edited:

I use American Rifle Co. M-10 rings they do not require lapping & they do not leave ring marks on your scope. I have used them for about 4 years now & will not use any other rings.[/QUOTE

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.