Do you always lap your scope rings?

I am with FEENIX on this. I tried a set of the Burris Signature Zee rings a few years back I and use them as my standard. They eliminate the lapping and bedding. As well I can correct for receiver screw hole location being out of true alignment with the barrel. And....I can add or remove up to 40 MOA of elevation as desired by choosing different inserts that come in the ring kit. They are not heavy or bulky as compared to some of the more popular choices out now. In fact....they are much lower weight and profile than some. Worth a try.....

Do you always lap your scope rings? How about on shorter range only setups (under 300 yards)? What lapping tools do you use?
I dont lap now although iI have
I use an 1" or 30 mm finely machined bar and torque wrench the screws very carefully and have no problem Good quality rings dont need lapping in my opinion

Lots of correct answers and lots of good reads. We are not all going to agree with some of the products and some of the ideas used for mounting scopes. But I think we all can agree that the scope tube is not a lapping nor alignment tool. Each to there on how they get to concentricity and stability, personally I lap.

I have and still do occasionally, as has been mentioned above, it depends on the rings and possibilities of machining errors. If I used a one piece base from a good company and good rings, if it checks ok when I lay the scope in the rings, I don't do anything. I used to lap everything every time but after multiple times using one piece bases and Warne rings and lapping but seeing as I'm lapping that it wasn't necessary, I stopped. So, my take, good one piece bases and good rings don't need it. Leupold rings suck by the way.

I used to lap every time I built a rifle, now I bed them. It's easier, cleaner and faster. I got an older Rem 700 bdl with the best bolt timing and fit I've seen on a factory Remington so I really want to keep this action, I mounted some Talleys and my alignment bar didn't even touch the rear mount when flat on the front mount so I installed a one piece pic rail, snugged the two front screws and had a 1/16 gap at the rear. I bedded the rear section and it works fine, point is that actions are not always square and true. One could lap a set of rings , but in a case like mine it would substantially change the dimensions of the ring and bedding becomes the obvious choice. Another concern with lapping is that you remove the surface finish and unless you can refinish the rings you could run onto corrosion issues.
As to screw hole being out of alignment, a proper remedy would be to weld the existing holes, mount the action in a true jig on a good mill and re-drill and tap the holes in alignment with the bolt bore. Lots of work and only worth it if hole are out by quite a bit. I saw where a gunsmith would install the rings on the action mounted in a machining jig and run a ball mill concentric to the bolt bore to true the rings to the action. It works but again, unless one has that equipment and know how...

Only once have I ever lapped my rings and I agree with the other comments, made a mess and not worth it imo. Good set of rings and proper torque and never had an issue

I have and still do occasionally, as has been mentioned above, it depends on the rings and possibilities of machining errors. If I used a one piece base from a good company and good rings, if it checks ok when I lay the scope in the rings, I don't do anything. I used to lap everything every time but after multiple times using one piece bases and Warne rings and lapping but seeing as I'm lapping that it wasn't necessary, I stopped. So, my take, good one piece bases and good rings don't need it. Leupold rings suck by the way.

I like Badger and Near Mfg rings and bases.

Never had a problem with Leupolds except the QD ,units, the lever would turn 360 deg and not lock the ring into the base, won't get them again.

High quality rings such as Talley, Nightforce, TPS, Near,Ken Farrell and others that are machined do not need to be lapped. Production run rings are a whole different story. In my experience a quality picatinny rail mated to quality rings is a must to get the most out of your rig.

I spray the rings with a light misting of silver spray paint, then gently rotate scope gently and see what the wear pattern looks like, If it even, I clean off the paint and mount, if not, then I lap them. The process is similar to using a guide coat when finish sanding a car up for painting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.