Do you always lap your scope rings?

. But if the allignment bars line up point to point,
Alignment bars that are pointed do not tell you your rings are aligned with each other. Both can be pointed up, down , left or right and point at each other.

I have used the Wheeler alignment system but found NightForce rings were perfect. Previously on a Leupold mounted scope the rings needed lapping. The NightForce was dead on. No need.

I use the Burris Signature rings.I also use the Talley light weight one piece ring mount combo and never lap them.If the mounting holes in the receiver are not parallel to the bore you can lap until dooms day and achieve nothing.I have seen more rings and scopes messed up by folks who have no idea how to lap a ring and why they are doing it.

I have used the Wheeler alignment system but found NightForce rings were perfect. Previously on a Leupold mounted scope the rings needed lapping. The NightForce was dead on. No need.
So you used the pointed bars.
Recently I put a NF 1 piece rail and NF rings with a NF scope on my 30-28 I still bedded the rings.
In my opinion it's the only way to get 100% contact and take out any misalignment no matter how small it is for whatever reason.

Older/cheaper rings benefit from lapping more than newer more precise rings. I used to lap, but sometimes, I would go too far and make the rings too smooth and round, requiring too much clamping force on the scope. If you are going to lap, don't go finer than 400 grit, but I no longer lap and have custom mounts and rings mounted by my smith. Overkill for a hunting gun... Buy good stuff and be careful, and you'll be fine.

Think that can also be caused by barrel not being straight with the action.
If the action is trued and the barrel is crowned and clocked correctly then their should not be a problem.Now i use nf rings and once you install them i put the lapping tool in the rings with very fine lapping compound and lightly lapp the rings in.because every set i ever have installed was a tadd off.so for long range i suggest to at least check for straightness.

I have a unique situation. Most of my rifles are Ruger 77s with the integral scope bases, and yes I do lap them; not sure if I could bed them or not. I never lapped rings until a shooter friend told me about lapping and I bought a Wheeler lapping kit. I was very surprised when I saw how badly they are machined when I started lapping; either out of concentricity or alignment. I just bought a set of Ruger 30mm rings for a build where I needed high-rings, could not believer the poor machining on these rings and almost sent them back. I got them trued up, but just about; these were the worst Ruger rings that I have had to lap so far. I do have a couple of rifles with Warne rings on them (Rem700 and Marlin 1895 Guide Gun), and yes I did lap these rings and found that they were not machined perfectly either. I don't know if it was the rings or the bases, but they certainly needed lapping.

A perfectly made set of rings may not require lapping but that does not mean the mounts or the receiver was prepped correctly! You lap the rings to correct other problems a lot of the time! I find about 80 to 90 percent require some amount of lapping!

Do you always lap your scope rings? How about on shorter range only setups (under 300 yards)? What lapping tools do you use?

Yes, pretty much all the ones made of steel, some I don't'..., which depends on the manufactory, with aluminum it's a toss-up.

No, if you buy high quality rings there should be no need.
Leupold doesn't recommend lapping rings.
I believe it is more important to make sure your rings are aligned to each other and the tube is straight in the rings and every screw is torqued to recommended inch pounds.
I see almost every mounted scope that comes in for inspection or having problems the rings are either way to tire or way loose.
If they advertise a product many will buy it.
If you feel you must lap then do it but make sure you are Ctually gaining headway when doing ot or do you unfollow others because they shoot good groups?
If lapping was a real good deal then premium rings would come lapped already...
Just my two cents worth after almost 50 years of playing with rifles.

How could they lap prior to securing them to the particular receiver?

I have come to find that you can eliminate lapping rings if several things are done or in place. Use quality bases, quality rings AND if your receiver is true, you shouldn't need to lap. If you are using a custom action, you are pretty much good. If you are using a factory Rem 700 or similar, you could be in for a ride. Too many times the holes are not perfectly aligned or the receiver is not true front to back. My gunsmith turned me onto the shim kit for scope bases and that works great. No more bedding bases. Use good rings and you won't need to do anything other than torque your scope.

If I can use a 1 piece base, I do. It eliminates alignment issues that rings like Talley do not. Talley rings are quality and I use them on a couple of rifle but you are relying on the receiver being true.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts