Do we overvalue sentimental value of our guns?

I know a guy who traded a ruger vaquero for a late 50's production model 70 safari in 458 Win mag, that his grandfather had sent through the custom shop. He apparently killed a water buffalo with it and the grandson only kept the buffalo mount because it was "cool".

Grandson probably took the money to go buy the newest iPhone or to go buy fortnite :mad:

I have put too much sentiment on guns but I'm trying to get better and I'm going through this "sentiment" thing right now.
My Daddy died about 15 years ago and it really hurt(s). He was my hero and seeing him waste away to nothing because of cancer has left scars but that is part of life and something we all have to go through and carry.
Being his only boy (that we know about :) ) I got all his guns, tools and toys. I kept them selfishly close until recently.
One of my nephews, who also looked fondly up to his Granddaddy, has bugged the crap out of me about one of Daddy's rifles. I know he genuinely wants it to fulfill his sentimental reasoning and that's OK. I know he's a good boy and he'll treasure it. He's family and loved my Daddy dearly also.
He and I have been discussing him getting the rifle for about 6 months now and I let him have it last weekend. I tried to pass on all the memories and stories that my Dad and I had shared while hunting and shooting. It was his favorite and only rifle in his latter years. Unlike me, he only had one rifle most of the time and shot it really, really well. He "schooled" me more than once with that rifle but I did not shoot or hunt with it. It was his rifle and his style and I really didn't have any interest in doing those activities with it. So it just sat there. I finally came to the realization that he would enjoy it more than me and Daddy would rather someone be getting enjoyment from it rather than hording it.
He's above cloud nine, still, and I feel like a better man for giving. Life should be a learning process until you're done.

FIGJAM I have to say yes I do for multiple reasons. I am older than you 49 and as I get up in age I am finding myself thinking what I am going to do with these guns. My wife doesn't hunt and just shoots with me once in a while. I have one daughter that doesn't hunt but enjoys trips to the range. But if I didn't ask her to go with me I dont know if she would even ask me to take her. So here is why I agree with you on sentimental feelings towards our guns. I lost my brother just over 2 years ago to pancreatic cancer as he passed away just after his 50th birthday. He was the one who got me Into hunting and shooting. I remember hunting PA with him and extended family and how I enjoyed it so much. Needless to say I got to pick some of the guns he had and they mean so much to me. Every time I open my safe and see his BDL30-06 or his TC contender handgun in 223 it makes me remember the good old days together.

I try to see into the future on how it will go with my guns. If and when my drug gets married and her husband is a hunter i can see most all my collection going to her for him to use. But yes I do hold more sentimental feelings to my guns and only hope it will make them remember me whenever they get pulled out of a safe.

4161E681-911D-49E1-AA77-96ED83EBDE08.jpeg I know in my life there were certain rifles I had that were special to me, mainly because of the the memories or the hunts you went on, or because you always hit what you were aiming at. One such rifle I had was an old browning 300wm bought it in 1980. First big mag I ever bought. Weighted a ton had an old bushnell 4 3 to 12 on it. Can't tell you how many different loads I made for it and tried. It was a tack driver. I took a lot of elk, deer, prong horn, and a bear, and a huge hog. I bought a 300wms about 11 yrs ago which was 63/4 pounds. I had seated taking my son with me deer hunting at least twice a year he had a cheap 270 which I made some hot loads for. I took the 300wm and order a great composite stock, sent it off had it ported, had it refinished in a Matt black finish, already had a great trigger, put on a new vortex scope. Packaged it up in original box wrapped it up and last package at Christmas brought I brought it out. He opened it an thought it was a new rifle, when I told him it was my old 300 he couldn't believe it, he said dad that's your favorite gun you've shot everything you ever aimed at with that rifle. I said it's your turn. He took his first mule deer with it on a hunt in Idaho, first elk, and first really nice white tail in Georgia. Gun still had the magic. I have given him my browning 308, shot gun, 22-250, 22 and other rifles and my safe since he got married and bought his own place. I kept my sako 308, and the 300wms that's all this old man needs. Every time we go hunting he takes 2 guns which I taught him in case something happens to one. He keeps saying I got to take the 308 today then comes out with the 300wn, which brings a smile to my face now it's his lucky gun. I like my 300wms but it ain't that old browning just weights less. My point is I've been giving him most of my guns now while I'm alive. Don't need all those calibers now and some of pistols. He knows he 4161E681-911D-49E1-AA77-96ED83EBDE08.jpeggets my others when I go to big hunt n ground in the sky. But it's very fulfilling doing it while your alive

I have put too much sentiment on guns but I'm trying to get better and I'm going through this "sentiment" thing right now.
My Daddy died about 15 years ago and it really hurt(s). He was my hero and seeing him waste away to nothing because of cancer has left scars but that is part of life and something we all have to go through and carry.
Being his only boy (that we know about :) ) I got all his guns, tools and toys. I kept them selfishly close until recently.
One of my nephews, who also looked fondly up to his Granddaddy, has bugged the crap out of me about one of Daddy's rifles. I know he genuinely wants it to fulfill his sentimental reasoning and that's OK. I know he's a good boy and he'll treasure it. He's family and loved my Daddy dearly also.
He and I have been discussing him getting the rifle for about 6 months now and I let him have it last weekend. I tried to pass on all the memories and stories that my Dad and I had shared while hunting and shooting. It was his favorite and only rifle in his latter years. Unlike me, he only had one rifle most of the time and shot it really, really well. He "schooled" me more than once with that rifle but I did not shoot or hunt with it. It was his rifle and his style and I really didn't have any interest in doing those activities with it. So it just sat there. I finally came to the realization that he would enjoy it more than me and Daddy would rather someone be getting enjoyment from it rather than hording it.
He's above cloud nine, still, and I feel like a better man for giving. Life should be a learning process until you're done.

Does anybody else think it's really dusty in here?

No I'm not crying, you are crying!

Korhil78 said it best. We can get caught up with our stuff. I have way more guns than I need or use, just hate to get rid of any because they are nice and I think they will increase in value. probably not.

I have given the sentimental guns to those who would appreciate them, mostly my nephews. Some say guns are a good investment and buy them and lock them up. A gun is only worth what someone will pay, and finding a buyer takes time. So with time I have sold the ones I haven't used in 30 years and kept the couple I do, upgraded equipment with the proceeds and paid for adventures with those I like to hunt with. Time is all we have so I'm enjoying it with others. And by the way those guns I sold were no great interest investment.

Great posts - as I get older, I see the collection disposals more and more. I learned from my grandpa and dad that guns are tools. Buy what you like and the best you can afford and take care of them. I sold most of their stuff because I had better "tools". I kept the guns that were not worth much because these all had the best stories, were their first, and most used, even by me when I was a kid out learning with them. These will not have the same value to my kids, and to everyone else they are just junkers. My kids like to shoot and hunt, but they do not share the same passion as me, nor do they appreciate finely handcrafted ammunition.

While I hope to only have a few favorites left when I pass, a gun collecting buddy of mine and I have made a pact with each other to help the first surviving widow dispose of our gun collections and accouterments without getting fleeced. That said, both our wives likely resent our mistresses and would be happy just to get rid of everything for pennies on the dollar.

Yes, I have several, that will be in the "overvalued" status. These few firearms are of "high value" to me, because....most were purchased though months of saving and some personal sacrifice, when I was a teenager. No one could ever appreciate what it took to acquire them.

My present hunting rifle, my only hunting rifle sine 1990, hopefully ends up with someone that can appreciate it's value as a hunting rifle. However, as it is a Ackley Improved, my children and grandchildren will have "zero" use for it.....as no one is a handloader! memtb

This one might be worth a rebarrel or rechamber before you pass, into something that has a good selection of factory ammo. Just a thought.

That said, both our wives likely resent our mistresses and would be happy just to get rid of everything for pennies on the dollar.
And here my wife thought I was the only that has what she calls my mistresses.
She laughed pretty hard when I read this to her.

My grandfather bought me my first gun when I was 16. A Remington 1100 12 gauge with a modified barrel (way before the choke systems came out). He took me dove hunting. I cherish that shotgun. It still looks brand new. Although I have many other shotguns, the Rem is special to me. It's my dove gun and it's only used for dove hunts.
Many years ago when my grandfather passed away, one of my uncles took possession of all his guns. Funny, but nobody really knows where those guns are now. I'd kill to have one of my grandfather's big game rifles. He hunted elk and deer. I have no idea what caliber it is. I just know I'd love to hunt with the rifle that he had. Call me nostalgic or sentimental. I think it's cool to have something like that passed on in the family.
My step kids aren't into guns or hunting, so I've already made sure that the son of one of my hunting buddies will get my collection. I know he'll enjoy and use them, as well as appreciate what has been passed on to him. Hopefully, he can pass them on to his kids.

I have always pictured some of the guns I own being passed down to my kids and my grandkids and their kids etc. family heirlooms you know? Recently I had two experiences that shook me to my core - two elderly gentleman that I knew from church and had great gun collections passed away. One about 6 months ago and one just last week. Wife and kids put all of their guns up for sell at liquidation prices. It was my understanding that both men had life insurance and had their homes paid off etc - I don't think they needed the cash, they would just rather have cash than dad and grandpas guns. Made me sick to my stomach and really got me thinking if we over value the sentimental value of our guns? What do you all think?
As I was raised shooting and hunting with my Grandfather, his friends and my Father and his friends, I always wanted their guns, was with them when they used them, shot them as I grew up. Those were legendary to me, no amount of money could pry them away from me. I personally think that is the problem now days, People don't value what they personally don't have a use for. Though I have not shot any of these for many years, I see my Grandfather and my Dad when ever I get them out to look at!! Over valued" I think not"