Do we overvalue sentimental value of our guns?

FIGJAM

I have always pictured some of the guns I own being passed down to my kids and my grandkids and their kids etc. family heirlooms you know? Recently I had two experiences that shook me to my core - two elderly gentleman that I knew from church and had great gun collections passed away. One about 6 months ago and one just last week. Wife and kids put all of their guns up for sell at liquidation prices. It was my understanding that both men had life insurance and had their homes paid off etc - I don't think they needed the cash, they would just rather have cash than dad and grandpas guns. Made me sick to my stomach and really got me thinking if we over value the sentimental value of our guns? What do you all think?

I know most of mine are priceless to me but when I pass I'll be dead so what happens here will be of no concern. I think we worry to much about that stuff taking time better used while we are living. I know my son will latch on to some that he knows are my favorites but honestly if he gets in a pinch I hope he gets what he needs out of them instead of worrying about my dead behind.

I am thinking instead of passing along rifles in a will or trust I am just going to distribute them to my kids and grandkids while I am alive if I am in a position to do it - and then Get rid of the rest so my wife and kids don't have to deal with it when I am gone. I am only 37, so hopefully it is a long ways off...

if the general question is do we overvalue our guns because they are sentimental then yes. We also overvalue our guns that aren't sentimental.

I will likely give some to certain people, but have a trust/will set up just in case. I have few family members that would be able to properly appreciate them.

if the general question is do we overvalue our guns because they are sentimental then yes. We also overvalue our guns that aren't sentimental.

I will likely give some to certain people, but have a trust/will set up just in case. I have few family members that would be able to properly appreciate them.

So i think this is what got me - I know a couple of these guys sons are big time hunters and I thought for sure they would hold on to some of them because they would appreciate them or whatever - when I asked one about it a few days ago, he said he didn't want or need any of them. Kind of made we wonder if the people that I think would appreciate them really couldnt care less! Lol

I may over value them. My grandpa recently decided to sell off a bunch of things he didnt want of need anymore. He by no means needs money. He also apparently has no sentimental value to guns. Long Story short, I found out about the auction by chance as it was an online auction through a local auction company. (sounds weird I know) anyway I ended up buying 6 of the guns. one was an old pump action savage 29a I believe 22 rimfire. has a very old scope and mount on it. It was owned by my great great uncle who was killed in WW2, next I got an old Sako pre garcia in 243 that was my Great Grandfathers, this was the gun he used to put food on the table most of his adult life, I never met him as he died long before I was born. Next was a pre 64 model 70 in 257 roberts which was my great grandmothers (who I did know) she hunted with it for years and years, I also got a pre 64 model 12 in 16 ga which was the first "nice" shotgun my grandfather bought once he started making enough money to afford such things. I also got a model 94 in 30-30 manufactured in 1910 which was just something my grandpa acquired in his younger years. and lastly a colt black powder revolver with not real significance other than its a family piece and looks cool... To me those are all special pieces. I have all of my first guns that I have kept original. I hope that my son and daughter value them someday, but I guess if they dont then I wont know the difference.

So i think this is what got me - I know a couple of these guys sons are big time hunters and I thought for sure they would hold on to some of them because they would appreciate them or whatever - when I asked one about it a few days ago, he said he didn't want or need any of them. Kind of made we wonder if the people that I think would appreciate them really couldnt care less! Lol

Yeah there are so many variables it make it impossible to imagine all the circumstances. I don't know a single person that would have a collection exactly like mine, or want one. I understand some of the things will likely get sold off. Kind of why I'd rather give certain things to certain people. My fathers collection and mine are essentially one at this point, so I know what is considered untouchable to him, and would never get rid of those.

On the same token I know he trades around with the other pieces, and certain guns he really wants/would make moves for. In that sense I would have no problems trading some of his... "b tier" guns to get one of those items. I know he would give me the business if he found out I didn't take that deal.