Do I really need a 300 WM?

Well if you are as obsessed with firearms as some of us, then yes, often times it does become a "NEED" :)

But no, normal folks don't "need" the right tool for the job. Pipe wrenches work as hammers too right?

There's lots of guns I own that I "needed". But as a gun nut and collector, I have lots of guns and claibers that I "need". :D

My $0.02:

Get a 7mm RemMag. They recoil about like a 30/06 but the bullets you use (160gr-180gr) will have a higher BC. The 30/06 needs at least a 180gr and better a 210+ grain bullet so velocity will be slower than the 7mm RemMag. I own a 30/06 and shoot my youngest's 300 WinMag regularly. The 7mm RemMag is still my suggestion for you. If you have any doubt about recoil, don't go there.

Me and the boys thrive on a good wallop from a magnum. But it is a bad move to pick one if you shy from the hit.

KB

at 600yrds I don't think BC. Would be a factor, that being said I like the 06 because I can choose the heavies if I want.190s,200s,210s,etc.and get the BC everyone wants and believe me at 600yrds with a 215 hybrid out of my 06 will wallop an elk. Then if I want to tone it down I can load all the way down to 125gr. Bullets...

Honestly what does NEED have to do with any of our gun purchases??? :D
gun)

Drag- my wife "feels" she needs stuff...........so if I "felt " .... i needed it; i believe it is my feminine/softer side manifesting itself in very nice way. But , however you analize it,......... i did not want, it i needed it. (well, maybe i don't need 5- 30-06's or 6 -243's)( grin)

A 300WM might not even need a break on it. If you could handle the 300 RUM without a problem, even if they were reduced loads, you should be able to handle the 300WM.

Sorry I have been gone a few days at a wedding.

Anyways...it looks like there are two good routes for me...30-06 or a 300 WM with a muzzle brake.
I never was a fan of a 300wm but ended up with a Ruger 77lh as a last option last fall for an elk hunt in co. The thing kind of grew on me , the thing is extremely versatile and capable of taking any north American game . Though 180g and up loads are kinda stout, 150s are comparable to the 3006. Mine does not have a break but will after bear season is over.

Look, if your questioning the 300win because of recoil and dont want to use a brake, then STAY away from it. There is nothing worse than have a gun that is more than capable of taking the game, but you cant hold the **** rifle steady or you flinch the shot. I see nooothing wrong with the 308 out to 500 yards and I have always been a big fan of the wsm's (for some reason they recoil less in rifles of the same weight). 30-06 is a fine choice, but i like the 308 better. I have magnumitis so I like em a bit more stout, but for 500-600 yards I vote 308.

But ill throw a curveball...how bout a .264 win with 140gr pills. If it is a hunting rifle then barrel life wont be a factor

The original post said "elk and target shooting" . in AZ he is going to shoot a lot more paper than elk. while the .264 is a great round ; and my brother has fired his in matches it is not at the top for targets. the rifle is more important than the particular cartridge, along with availability of precision ammo.

Yea at this point I might as well throw all the calibers in a hat and pick one and go with it haha...everyone has so many different opinions, which is very understandable. I may be better off with a .308 or .30-06 and then getting the 300WM in a year or so if I feel the need. Many different options, and who knows what I will go with at this point. I appreciate all the help thus far.

Been following the thread and can't help but chime in.

If you are anything like me, you may (that's a big may) get one shot a year at an elk. What to do the rest of the year? Practice. gun)

I would get the 308 and if the future requires it, get a 300 WM too. Then you will have a great varmint gun (.243), a great long range practice and mid range big game rifle (.308) and a big dog 300 WM for long range shots at elk and such. I find it very hard to do everything with one rifle. Especially if you practice, target shoot, and hunt too.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.