Do belts affect accuracy?

hold your pencil at the eraser and write your name....this represents the 300 WM. Now hold the pencil close to the lead point and write your name...this represents the 300 WSM. Which delivers a more controlled result?

WSM same for RUM

This only pertains to bullet alignment to bore, and can effect accuracy and consistancy.

I've shot many, many rounds of 7mm mag and .300 Jarrett (necked down, "improved" 8mm mag cases) and found them to be very accurate. I also size them so that I am headspacing off the shoulder. I've had two 7mm hunting rifles, one bedded, one factory, that consistently shot in the .4's, with carefully worked up handloads. My 7.5 lb. .300 Jarrett shots around .5 if I do my part. They have worked for me.

Trader,The answer to your question is No..I shoot a 300winmag imp in 550 and 1000yd bench comps and it is very accurate and a lot easier to buy good quality brass for..JR..Jeff Rogers

You could have a smith remove a little material ahead of the belt in the chamber, then it would always space off the shoulder. End of question.

...or just trim the bases so they are square (I use a Wilson trimmer) and then headspace off the shoulder.

Not when you do reload your own ammo. The belt plays no role in the headspacing of the ammo. Only downside of that belt is that the web infront of the belt may grow and affect chambering. Difficult to size.

However, since the case is bigger, you may be running lower pressures so this stretching is less pronounced.

The Win mag has been used for many years at LR matches and is very competitive. If you want to shoot a 30cal LR, then heavier bullets will help. WSM case is just a bit small unless long barrels and/or high pressures are used. That is not necessarily good for accuracy or brass life either.

Jerry

As far as hunting goes I dont plan to reload. But for targets I'm looking to load either LR J40s, Berger VLDs, or JLKs. Hunting I dont need pin point accuracy...but targets I'd like .5 MOA if I could. Targets going out to 1000 yards and would love to get beyond 1000...maybe 1500?

Choice is now between the 7 WSM or 300 WM

[ 03-12-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]

JBM,
I'm sure I'm being dull, but could you explain
"...or just trim the bases so they are square"
Are you taking off the leading edge of the belt?

Often wondered what would happen if one were to remove the belt entirely.

I agre with JBM and if you chamber is righ design accuracy is thes ame

por chambering make poor accuracy with or without belt

tips : use a 0.218 custom headspace GO gauge and set your headspace to feel the contact on 0.218 gauge that improvement accuracy , any belted case are over 0.216 on belt

chambering set with GO/NO GO saami is POOR

good shooting

DAN TEC

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I'm sure I'm being dull, but could you explain
"...or just trim the bases so they are square"
Are you taking off the leading edge of the belt?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that wasn't really a good explanation.

When I prep cases for my heavy bench rifle, I put the cases in a Wilson trimmer, backwards, so the cutter (oversize) is cuttnig the base of the case. It squares it up nicely -- you'd be surprise at how bad some are. My heavy bench gun has headspace set to .215 and I've never had any cases with trimmed bases not fit. After fireforming they headspace off the shoulder anyway.

hmm maybe I should think twice about who I have rechamber my 300SAUM to 300WSM. Wonder if I will have problems with rem 700 and 30" barrel???

Just food for thought fellows.

A "belted" 300 weatherby Imp case holds the ten shot heavy gun World Record of 3.151" at the Williamsport 1000 yard club.

As mentioned, there are lots of really good brass to be had, in the belted line.

I believe the military (Army) still uses the
300 Win mag in some/most of their LR rifles and team competitions of 1000 yards.

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts