Do belts affect accuracy?

Grains of powder used to achieve same velocity with a 180gr bullet?

7wsm =?
300wsm =?
300wm =?

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]

I know a shooter that turned the belts off of his .378 Wby brass so that he could use it in his 338-416 Rigby Imp. He never had to deal with the small "extra" belt that sometimes forms in front of the actual belt.
The problem with belts arises from the extra depth in the chamber for the belt. Most chambers are .220 min. and most brass is less than .215.
Thankfully, the many new cases based on the 404 Jeffrey case have made belts a thing of the past.
Doncha hate old guys with strong opinions?
Jay

Jay

As per the original question of "Does belts effect accuracy"?

The answer is no if you look at the records held with the belted cartridges.
Now over time, there may be a change to that but, for now, the record still stands as the "smallest" 10 shot group ever fired was with a belted case.

I do believe the buldge or extra small belt in front of the case belt happens, as I have had it myself and don't like it.

I like the non belted cases to but, the fact remains, the "accuracy" is still there with many belted cases but, the trend is changing.

Later
DC
smile.gif

PS---I didn't know you were that old?

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

I read somewhere...

once you shoot the case forms to the chamber and then when you reuse that case the "belt" doesn't matter.

I'm a newbie at this reloading stuff could someone explain what this means, how it works, and if its a correct statement? Thanks!
smile.gif

A round that doesn't have a belt headspaces off the shoulder. That means that it slides into the chamber until the shoulder makes contact in the barrel. A belted round is designed to headspace off the belt. That is, it slides in until the belt makes contact. After the first shot, though, the shoulder is blown forward to match the chamber. Unless you resize it too much, the next time you chamber it, the shoulder will contact just like a beltless cartridge.

Edited 'cause my typer is faster than my speller.

[ 03-22-2004: Message edited by: Red_SC ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.