Do all rifle???

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
I would not be afraid to take anything in North America with 308 or 30-06. I lean towards 308 because of a little less recoil with only about 100 fps loss. I load light for whitetail, 100 grain hollow point. For heavy game I would go with Barnes tsx in 150 to 180 grain. For brown bear it would be 180 grain tsx or a solid and break down the shoulders.

.300 WSM. I primarily hunt elk, but would shoot a big mulie buck, if one showed up! When I turned 75 I decided it was time to make some space in my gun safe. Gave a .338 Win Mag, .308 Win, .240 Wby, pre war Mod 70 30.06 to relatives. Sold .350 Rem Mag and .308 Mod 7 Rem and kept my .300 WSM Mod 70, because it was the rifle I pulled from the safe when it was time to go hunting. It is the most accurate with handloads and factory ammo, and is pleasant to shoot with a brake. I'm confident it has the energy and accuracy to take elk at 700+ yds.

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
"Components readily available" you could have a 7 SS with proof CF barrel on a LPA or ARC receiver in a MCS EH1, trigger tech diamond or special, ready to shoot 175 Elite hunters 3000 FPS in 3 weeks 🤷🏻‍♂️ Brass, bullets and powder have been available... primers???? Uhhhhh 😂😂

7mm-08 if you want light and easier on barrel life 300 Yards and under.
7mm mag if you want a hot rod rifle, big man ego rifle. The best rifle is the one you shoot best. 7mm-08 is easier to shoot well. Easier to carry, its short action Remington build I'm assuming. Round action is inherently more accurate with bedding being round.

300 win! You can buy shells at truck stops and everywhere in between! And Inherently accurate! No point reinventing the wheel for this question!

I love these questions because sometimes they genuinely seek information but mostly, under careful consideration, don't make sense. If you can afford the time and money to hunt both antelope and elk you can purchase guns to do both. How many readers on this site own only one gun? Why limit yourself? 6.5 CM is great for antelope, something larger for elk, maybe even larger for brown bear and if you're going to Africa, certainly a .375. Then there's prairie dogs and coyotes. Not to mention LR targets at 1000 plus yards. I started 50 years ago shooting jackrabbits with a .300 Wby Mag, and also shot moose, caribou, elk, deer and coyotes; but couldn't recommend this to everyone. 30/06 is a great all-around cartridge but recoil may be too strong for some. I enjoy a 338 Lapua Mag now but it is also too much for small game. Pick something relevant to most of your shooting then buy/build something for the rest of your shooting interests.
The 338 with a brake is a good choice for bigger game and you can down load it for deer. My reloading manual showes all the way down to 160 grain bullets which would be fine for deer. However the 308 can be loaded with 200 grain bullets which would be good for bigger game. With the heavier bullets though the advantage goes to the 06. If I had the 06 with a muzzel brake that would probably be about perfect.

Have already taken the full buffett of antelope, deer, and other critters with my 264 Win Mag w/140 Partitions and a case full o' 4831, out of a M70 26" bbl. One shot, DRT, and if limited to just it would have no problem pulling down on an elk with it. BUT for the heavy weights, and considering bullet flexibility, I'd keep my 300 Win Mag. It can be loaded down, but can also be loaded up with 200+ everyting gr bullets. 300 WM ammo is common and with the selection of premium bullets the choice for game specific application is an option.
the thing I don't like about the magnums is barrel life and recoil.

Depends on your DO ALL expectations. Not many .30cal ctgs are chosen for longrange varminting, mostly due to recoil. Not many would choose a .223rem for hunting game larger than W. Texas deer.

That said, for varminting & game, a 6.5mm is probably upper limit of "workable"... Nice to have a straight neck-up ctg from .308 win or .30-06 as being able to DO ALL ought also consider brass availability and ease of handloading...

.30-06 remains King of the All-Around rifles. A good choice for cast bullets and mild loads as well. .270win and .280rem and .338-06 and .35 Whelen also. Bullet selection is very wide in terms of weights and purposed designs.

The larger calibers are optimum for cast bullet performance. Evaluate your expectations and then evaluate bullet choices. Bullets and optimum twist rates are what make a rifle perform. Nice to have your DO ALL Rifle able to share bullets with a handgun. .30cal rifles can share with .32cal handguns (both being .308 dia bores), .358 bore rifles and .357mag etc, .444marlin and .44 rem mag... Thirty-Five cal seemingly most versatile.

While this is a longrange site, a DO ALL rifle might be more optimized for close-in work. Going Longrange as main purpose requires optimization toward only that purpose, which is not a DO ALL primary function...

Hard to beat a .308win or .30-06 for DO ALL purposes, especially where barrel-life is a consideration. The .30-30 is especially workable for all-around utility situations which don't call for great power. Handloading enables so much flexibility...

I would say the Optimal DO ALL Rifle would be a switch-barrel rifle in a long action receiver, chambered for 6.5/284 and .338-06AI. Great bullet selections and weight ranges. If the 160gr ,338 bullet is light enough, then maybe the 6.5/284 is not necessary. One rifle with a couple barrels to Do It All and a man would be set...

One rifle eh...that would have to be either my old 700 with a Magnum bolt face (on it's 8th barrel). It generally weighs about 8.25 pounds "all up" (scope, sling, rounds).

And or, my old M70/P64 that I inherrited from my Grandad. Standard bolt face. Generally weighs about 8.5 "all up".

Now as for rounds, if you wish to know that as well the 25/06, 270 or 7 Mashburn Super would be fine.

I like to shoot something that I feel comfortable and competent with....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.