Different State - POI Change....is this normal?

try asking a army sniper sights in at home range then travels thousands of miles
and use's his rifle never a issue , ive never had your issue
just about 100 % its airline baggage handelers
Respectfully you don t have a clue. It's all science, he sights in at home, builds a library of data on how gear performs at what temp, attitude ,pressure , and when-shooting at long range past 1000 yards lats and longitude the direction of fire. Once in position he will take a read on environmental conditions and compute a ballistic solution

i do have a clue and yes carry my data but no way will a rifle that's accurate in one place change that much in another, unless something goes astray like a heavy handed clown
being playing this game for over 50 years and professionally

The shock wave in front of a supersonic bullet is caused by the bullet compressing the atmosphere in front of it. This shock wave breaks up and clears any droplets that might be in it's path.

The shock wave is present whether there are any droplets or not, the droplets do not touch the bullet and do not add any extra resistance to the force acting on the bullet.

Explain well. Subsonic 22 lr especially with eley flat nose Bullets shoot extremely well in a light drizzle. The only problem I had in the rain is the view whiting out at high power magnification

i do have a clue and yes carry my data but no way will a rifle that's accurate in one place change that much in another, unless something goes astray like a heavy handed clown
The rifle did not loose accuracy,it had a point of impact change due to environmental factors related to temperature and attitude

I think you have to look at the relative mass ratio between a water drop, a plane under constant thrust which you can steer and a bullet running at Mach 2-3. I'm a curious engineer also. :) E=1/2mvE2. Of course, once you go supersonic it changes.

Subsonic Bullets travel at many times the speed of most air craft. Hydrodynamics is a science all in it self they have high speed video of Bullets performing such. I done a tone of shooting with extremely accurate 22 lr with no apparent impact by rain.

5956AE4E-23DA-4533-AEE8-5DC9A7146B38.jpeg

Last group I shot at the range this week , I just built this 280 Ackley 180 gr eldx at 3025 FPS .set the rifle up , I did a tall target test to verify scope set up and calibration. Collected load data while doing so with a lab radar. I Established a exact 100 yard zero. That work took 12 of the 15 rounds I loaded as a test. I Plugged rifle and load data into applied ballistic elite, used the custom bullet profile. loaded environmental conditions. Sent the last 3 to 1120 yards. I was off on wind a little .

G'day Jdd
You are getting a little carried away , this is not about you your rifle or your loads
The op has a question about attitude atmosphere changes the distance traveled would not make that much of a difference, I suggest again it's something else such as a knock to the scope etc
I've never had issues with anything else apart from a knock to the rifle / scope
Tight groups my friend

6961E603-B6DD-4D37-B048-E450D5345452.jpeg
88C3B945-4E47-445B-8D1C-8EBC320AC735.jpeg
E150E1AE-43BC-4DEF-BD3D-C48255F5C649.jpeg
What I just provide you was a example of what a understanding of and the proper implementation of proven rules of external ballistic is capable of. The point of impact was explained and expected do to the 40 degree change in temperature off set by a competing condition of attitude/air density. It simple science. proven by guys much smarter than I am. Using that 3 shot group I trued my ballistic program , used my wind meter and made perfect shots at 400 on the eye of the coyotes , the pig hear at 922 yards and a point of aim at 1120. Go to applied ballistic and get his first book . You will learn a lot.

The POI shift is most likely caused by the flaws in your shooting.

My rifles POI doesn't change from bi pod to bag to bench to prone etc etc. mostly because my recoil management is the same. I've traveled many states shooting matches and hunting with no more than a tenth of POI change.

My rifles POI doesn't change from bi pod to bag to bench to prone etc etc. mostly because my recoil management is the same. I've traveled many states shooting matches and hunting with no more than a tenth of POI change.
View attachment 133630 View attachment 133628 View attachment 133629 What I just provide you was a example of what a understanding of and the proper implementation of proven rules of external ballistic is capable of. The point of impact was explained and expected do to the 40 degree change in temperature off set by a competing condition of attitude/air density. It simple science. proven by guys much smarter than I am. Using that 3 shot group I trued my ballistic program , used my wind meter and made perfect shots at 400 on the eye of the coyotes , the pig hear at 922 yards and a point of aim at 1120. Go to applied ballistic and get his first book . You will learn a lot.
Don't need to pal I've been doing this longer than you've been standing

Well said sir , funny I get the same as well lol:) always have all my rifles

Don't need to pal I've been doing this longer than you've been standing
I am 66 I been building guns and or shooting something in competition since I am 19. If your older than me and still doing it good for you.

OP here.....I shot the gun yesterday on the prairie dog field and I smoked a bunch of PD's from 200-450 yards so I guess whatever I did on paper the other day doesn't matter much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.