Denied! ATF background check for gun purchase

myshootinstinks

I'm 68 years old, been buying / selling guns for fifty years and have several transactions as recently as a month ago. Zero criminal record of any kind, no warrants, etc. The last traffic ticket I got was fifteen years ago.
Simply put, NICS has mistaken me for someone else. The only other possibility is some kind of identity theft but I've checked this out well and I see no evidence of any activity on credit reports, etc. :mad:

I too live in Wyoming. That's one of the reasons that I got my Wyoming concealed carry permit is because they don't do a NICS check when I purchase a firearm.

Also when you get pulled over and they run your tags it automatically pops up that you are a concealed weapons permit holder: a good guy, or at least not a criminal.

Back when I sold guns, nearly every denial was because of improperly filled out paperwork. Check what was submitted, or just attempt to re-buy and make sure everything is 100% correct
I did recheck the form 4473 that I completed and signed, it is all correct. However, the dealer input the form through the internet site. I ask him for a copy of the info he input and he said he had no way of getting it????

And yes, a CC permit is in my future for this very reason.......ATF background checks. The only time i pack a handgun is in bear country.

I did recheck the form 4473 that I completed and signed, it is all correct. However, the dealer input the form through the internet site. I ask him for a copy of the info he input and he said he had no way of getting it????

And yes, a CC permit is in my future for this very reason.......ATF background checks. The only time i pack a handgun is in bear country.
I haven't used the electronic site from the dealer side so im making a guess here, but I don't know of a way to review the electronic form after submission. I'm sure a current FFL can chime in on that one. If you filled out a paper form and then the FFL typed it in for you, I think that very greatly increases the chance this is caused by incorrect data entry.

You can try the appeals process that was posted above. It takes a long time but it can work.

If the gun is available from another dealer I'd go try to buy it elsewhere. My brother got delayed on a tikka once and got frustrated, so he walked to the store next door and bought the same rifle without a problem.

If I'm wearing pants, I've got a gun, a phone, a pocketknife, and a flashlight.

Bears, rattlesnakes, coyotes, cats, communists...

Lot of people been moving to Wyoming, seeing a lot more bad element. Even here in little Cody, WY.
A permit is also very handy if you travel anywhere out of state. I don't drive up to Billings often but it's gotten a lot rougher and I stick an extra magazine in my pocket when I go.

That's one of the reasons that I got my Wyoming concealed carry permit is because they don't do a NICS check when I purchase a firearm.
I have a CCP but have to do the check on every purchase and could never understand why since the sheriffs office does a thorough check before issuing CCP.
💡went off…. I live in blue and you in red

I have a ffl and use the online back ground check. There isn't a way to go back and check what was entered after it is submitted as far as I'm aware of. I'd ask dealer if it was a quick no or a no after a few days. There's also another reason but I'm not getting into that here.

I have a ffl and use the online back ground check. There isn't a way to go back and check what was entered after it is submitted as far as I'm aware of. I'd ask dealer if it was a quick no or a no after a few days. There's also another reason but I'm not getting into that here.
I tried to look up a submitted 4473 as well and I don't think it's possible.