Denied! ATF background check for gun purchase

I too live in Wyoming. That's one of the reasons that I got my Wyoming concealed carry permit is because they don't do a NICS check when I purchase a firearm.

Also when you get pulled over and they run your tags it automatically pops up that you are a concealed weapons permit holder: a good guy, or at least not a criminal.

Same here! Makes transactions immediate…..and a traffic stop less stressful for the officer! That is unless he's like the a$$wipe on my last stop about 10 years ago! After he asked if we had a firearm in the auto….he gave a very stern warning "to not grab" the handgun! 🤬 My temper was immediately inflamed, and the smarta$$ in me wanted to tell him that ""IF" I were going to pull the firearm……he would have already experienced that!

In my almost 40 years of living in Wyoming…..very few Wyoming Highway Patrol officers have positively impressed me! Most have an attitude….and seem to be on a power trip. We have near nothing for crime as compared to many places…..these officers wouldn't do well in Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, ect.! memtb

Same here! Makes transactions immediate…..and a traffic stop less stressful for the officer! That is unless he's like the a$$wipe on my last stop about 10 years ago! After he asked if we had a firearm in the auto….he gave a very stern warning "to not grab" the handgun! 🤬 My temper was immediately inflamed, and the smarta$$ in me wanted to tell him that ""IF" I were going to pull the firearm……he would have already experienced that!

In my almost 40 years of living in Wyoming…..very few Wyoming Highway Patrol officers have positively impressed me! Most have an attitude….and seem to be on a power trip. We have near nothing for crime as compared to many places…..these officers wouldn't do well in Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, ect.! memtb
It makes me happy to know that you refrained from saying what you were thinking, otherwise I don't think you would be part of this forum. Difficult to shoot between all those bars and glass in a jail

I had to do this.......
Yesterday afternoon I decided to go out to a dealer and buy another gun just to see if I could do it. The background check went smooth as silk and was "proceeded" within minutes.

Well that solves it all on both ends. The first guy you tried to do it with did something wrong.

My wife helps me submit background checks when I transfer a gun. She has over 40 years of government service! She worked for the Dept. of Labor so she knows how to talk to them and it really helps.

Man, with the absolute idiocy of most people on the road I can't blame him for giving a warning. Odds are pretty high he's had numerous people say "I'm carrying, here look" while drawing their firearm. Seems like a hazard of the job that a person should be allowed to circumvent in whatever way they can. I can't imagine still being salty about such an interaction, especially 10 years later.

Just remember the new 4473 Brandon questions can and do trip up people and make for a immediate no go. Not saying that is what happened but I've seen it done on both sides . One denied for the wrong answer and another with clearly the wrong answer go thru .

When the FFL enters information for the background check NONE of the answers on the 4473 are entered. The background check is just that, a background check. The 4473 is reviewed for correctness by the FFL and saved for the government if they decide to come to the FFL for something. If you answer yes to being addicted to drugs it's the FFL's responsibility to not transfer the gun to you. If the FFL decides to run the background, you pass and they hand you the gun THEY are now responsible for making an illegal transfer.

I've entered information incorrectly on the background check and it comes back immediately and says there's a mistake. It doesn't deny the applicant. That is for things such as a misspelled name, wrong address, etc.

This is all that CBI asks for when I submit background checks for firearm transfers.

1. Full name
2. Sex
3. Ethnicity/race
4. Social Security number
5. Date of birth
6. Complete address
7. Driver's license number, issuing state and date of expiration
8. Country of citizenship

Last edited:

In Idaho they can ask, but citizens are NOT required to disclose.

Man, with the absolute idiocy of most people on the road I can't blame him for giving a warning. Odds are pretty high he's had numerous people say "I'm carrying, here look" while drawing their firearm. Seems like a hazard of the job that a person should be allowed to circumvent in whatever way they can. I can't imagine still being salty about such an interaction, especially 10 years later.

You don't know me very well…..I "may" forgive, but never forget!

Having worked a short time in Law Enforcement, I concluded that how you speak/interact with someone often determines how the situation will play out!

While this may seem very petty, in the near 40 years that I've lived here I always (or very near always) wave at a Wyoming HP as I pass on the highway! I think of it as merely a courtesy wave and hopefully be received as a "Thank You for Your Service" acknowledgment!

In all of those years, I can count on less than 10 fingers, the number if acknowledgements that I've received in turn! A few years ago when traveling from Billing,Mt. south to the Wyoming border, I passed 4 units.….one sherif's unit, one city/town unit, and 2 Mt. State units. Three of the 4 returned the wave…..little things matter and are often remembered!

Oh over the years all of the waves were with full hand…..not just one finger! memtb

In Idaho they can ask, but citizens are NOT required to disclose.

It's been years since I was stopped…..but, I will disclose to the officer. He should already have the information…..my coming forward with the information should indicate that I'm not attempting to hide anything!

Again……open communication often diffuses a situation before it can start!

Sorry for derailing the OP ! memtb

I find unusual and refreshing that the State sanctions the rights of the citizens. No concealed permit is required so the question is irrelevant. I understand how hard it is for folks that have the Jack boot on their necks to comprehend. Freedom has become foreign to most.