Denied! ATF background check for gun purchase

A bit different than your case, but a number of years ago, I worked at Cabela's selling guns as a part time gig just for the discounts, etc. I was also working my full time job building rifles at H-S Precision. It never failed that any time I purchased a firearm, the NICS system would put me on delay. I always EVENTUALLY got approved, but it never happened immediately. I would always get a call a day or two later saying that I had been approved. I'm not sure how much things have changed since Bass Pro took over, but back in the day, the requirements, training and certification to sell guns at Cabela's was pretty intensive. It never made sense to me why I always got delayed. I ended up getting a South Dakota gold card/carry permit which did away with any background checks and delays. Totally worth the time and money spent to get that certification. I can confidently travel across the state and know that if I decide to purchase a gun, I will be leaving the store with the gun that same day.
I have the same thing happen on every purchase. I fill out the paperwork and come back in 72 hours and it's approved. My wife fills out the paperwork and takes the gun home in five to ten minutes.

I have the same thing happen on every purchase. I fill out the paperwork and come back in 72 hours and it's approved. My wife fills out the paperwork and takes the gun home in five to ten minutes.

This story sounds familiar!

I just hope that my wife doesn't have something worked out with the salesperson……where my wife gets all of the guns after the divorce! 🤔😂😂 memtb

The odd thing is that with me it can go either way. I acquire maybe 12-15 guns ayear through dealers requiring background checks. Usually no big deal, no delay. About every ten years I put up with a long delay. This is the second denial snce they started with the background checks way back.

A denial and then an approval is odd. At the shop I work at a denial needed to be corrected by providing information at the local Sheriff's Office. The one that happened at my shop was due to stolen identity. Once the customer visit the SO his firearm was approved in a matter of days.

A denial and then an approval is odd. At the shop I work at a denial needed to be corrected by providing information at the local Sheriff's Office. The one that happened at my shop was due to stolen identity. Once the customer visit the SO his firearm was approved in a matter of days.
Do you have delays that take days?

Not to side track. But what is hard for me to understand is that some places or businesses ask for a photo ID and for some reason I don't see my DL real quick. I'll Hand them my CWP and they look at it like it's a joke and hand it back and tell you they can't accept that. It sure looks like a photo ID to me.
The way some people drive I really believe you can get a drivers license at Sears and Robuck. Or Target maybe. But I've never been to Target and never will. Point is my CWP was more difficult for me to get than my DL And that must be common with some of the mental giants I see on the road these days.

Yes and sometimes longer. That's part of being in Oregon.
But in all fairness right now much of the delay is due to more sales from Black Friday and Christmas. There are more firearms to pass through the process. Just prior to this I was getting many instant approvals and most delays were two days or less.