Denied! ATF background check for gun purchase

It's been years since I was stopped…..but, I will disclose to the officer. He should already have the information…..my coming forward with the information should indicate that I'm not attempting to hide anything!

Again……open communication often diffuses a situation before it can start!

Sorry for derailing the OP ! memtb
Sorry for a little more derailment.
I was told by a LEO when pulled over to just hand my CCP with my DL and they will assume that you are carrying.

I had to do this.......
Yesterday afternoon I decided to go out to a dealer and buy another gun just to see if I could do it. The background check went smooth as silk and was "proceeded" within minutes.
I wondered if that would happen. Sounds like someone entered something incorrectly into the computer. It's been about 5 years since I had my FFL. We did almost all of ours online. There was a printout that we did off of the computer when the reply came back that we put with the 4473. I can't for the life of me remember what all was on it.
The only reason I ever got a denial on a customer was the guy had a domestic violence charge. Then the guy asked me if his wife could come apply for the gun! Uuuhhhh! NO SIR. He was mad as a hornet but he got no gun.
I know it's somewhat of a hassle but getting your CWP is definitely the way to go particularly if you buy firearms regularly. My son turned 21 and I gave him yet another Glock. Somehow he has more than I do. He did the class 1 day after his birthday.

A bit different than your case, but a number of years ago, I worked at Cabela's selling guns as a part time gig just for the discounts, etc. I was also working my full time job building rifles at H-S Precision. It never failed that any time I purchased a firearm, the NICS system would put me on delay. I always EVENTUALLY got approved, but it never happened immediately. I would always get a call a day or two later saying that I had been approved. I'm not sure how much things have changed since Bass Pro took over, but back in the day, the requirements, training and certification to sell guns at Cabela's was pretty intensive. It never made sense to me why I always got delayed. I ended up getting a South Dakota gold card/carry permit which did away with any background checks and delays. Totally worth the time and money spent to get that certification. I can confidently travel across the state and know that if I decide to purchase a gun, I will be leaving the store with the gun that same day.

Sorry for a little more derailment.
I was told by a LEO when pulled over to just hand my CCP with my DL and they will assume that you are carrying.
Yep I keep mine right by my drivers license in my wallet. I also make sure I put both hands on the wheel where they can see them when they approach and I announce that I have a CWP and am carrying. If I'm in my truck there are usually 3-5 guns in there.

A bit different than your case, but a number of years ago, I worked at Cabela's selling guns as a part time gig just for the discounts, etc. I was also working my full time job building rifles at H-S Precision. It never failed that any time I purchased a firearm, the NICS system would put me on delay. I always EVENTUALLY got approved, but it never happened immediately. I would always get a call a day or two later saying that I had been approved. I'm not sure how much things have changed since Bass Pro took over, but back in the day, the requirements, training and certification to sell guns at Cabela's was pretty intensive. It never made sense to me why I always got delayed. I ended up getting a South Dakota gold card/carry permit which did away with any background checks and delays. Totally worth the time and money spent to get that certification. I can confidently travel across the state and know that if I decide to purchase a gun, I will be leaving the store with the gun that same day.
Had several customers that were the same way. Absolute model citizens, never had any kind of trouble, yet would always be delayed. But never denied. No idea why.

I too live in Wyoming. That's one of the reasons that I got my Wyoming concealed carry permit is because they don't do a NICS check when I purchase a firearm.

Also when you get pulled over and they run your tags it automatically pops up that you are a concealed weapons permit holder: a good guy, or at least not a criminal.
Wv. Has the same policy.
I've had C.C. Over 20 years, and LGS ask for CC, if not then D.L.
Edit Yes when a officer of the law ask for ID Both licenses come out and then tell them what firearms I have on me.

Last edited:
In the People's Republic of Maryland, you are not required to disclose if you have a firearm with a CCW. What's odd is that if you have a CCW permit, you must also have a Hangun Qualification License (HQL) to buy a handgun. On the NICS, if you provide your SSN, I'm told it helps to avoid "Confusion and Delays" as Sir Toppham Hat (Thomas the Train) would say. If I'm at an FFL I trust, I just do that but outside of that, I do not provide my SSN. I've been delayed once in 30 years but it still really frosted my ***!

Mine are delayed EVERY time. I assume it's because of my common name. Heck, I've even considered getting an ATF pin # to avoid it.
I think you hit it on the head. Certain names I think key a delay regardless. Especially in my case anyway it was Hispanic sounding names. I had folks with a name like that that would buy a gun a month and be delayed every time. Minor offenses like Boating Under the influence will trigger it also.

In the People's Republic of Maryland, you are not required to disclose if you have a firearm with a CCW. What's odd is that if you have a CCW permit, you must also have a Hangun Qualification License (HQL) to buy a handgun. On the NICS, if you provide your SSN, I'm told it helps to avoid "Confusion and Delays" as Sir Toppham Hat (Thomas the Train) would say. If I'm at an FFL I trust, I just do that but outside of that, I do not provide my SSN. I've been delayed once in 30 years but it still really frosted my ***!
I never would provide SSN. Most of my customers would not. Can't say I blame them

Not to side track. But what is hard for me to understand is that some places or businesses ask for a photo ID and for some reason I don't see my DL real quick. I'll Hand them my CWP and they look at it like it's a joke and hand it back and tell you they can't accept that. It sure looks like a photo ID to me.