Defensive Edge 338 Edge Canyon Rifle

RO828

This is not a comprehensive review of DE's product. Just a quick down and dirty, and a fun story. Shawn's reputation around here needs no qualification, nor does the quality of product he provides.

In the spring of '12, after much deliberation as to which caliber best suits my recreational and professional needs, I concluded the best fit was the Edge. I contacted a few smiths and decided to work with Shawn on the build.

My experience with DE from initial contact through rifle delivery and follow-up was exceptional. Shawn's workload is obviously high, and we played phone tag more than once. However, the level of customer service provided far exceeded what I am accustomed to, these days. The product he produces is a substantial, quality investment and he treated me with that consideration in mind.

My rifle was delivered within the time-frame I requested. The craftsmanship and quality is superb, as expected. Shawn continued to provide assistance after delivery, and I know should an issue or concern present itself, it would be remedied without delay.

I didn't have much time for load development prior to '12 Elk season, here in CO. I built the prescribed load, as suggested. I broke the barrel in during deer season, so my normal shooting spot was occupied by some hunters. I found the next most suitable area; a remote canyon. Clear across I located an acceptable target- an 18x24" rock. I ranged it at 1150 yards. Doped, sent, D/C hit, big ****-eating grin.

For those of you who are blessed enough to hunt the western slope, and were out this year, you probably know LRH conditions were not as favorable as they normally are. I was unable to fill either elk tag this year, so, more to come on that next season. I have no doubt the Edge will perform beautifully.

*Disclaimer* I couldn't do this again if I tried.

Last month, I did some shooting at a friend's ranch. After some plinking, we set up a piece of sheet metal about 6' tall by about 2' wide. We ranged it at a modest 1007 yards. Conditions were favorable, with full value winds from .5-2mph. Without the proper spotting equipment available, my friend set up safely downrange behind a considerable berm, offset substantially. Behind the sheet metal was gently sloping open range, brush, and about 18" of snow.

Berger ballistics called for 23.09 min at 1000 yards. I dialed 23.25, ensured the safety of my spotter and sent the first one. Spotter called a hit. I made safe and he examined the sheet metal closely. 3-4" low of dead center. He suggested another quarter minute. I told him I will keep it as is, and see how closely I can duplicate.

Spotter moved to a safe spot and the second one was on its way. I made safe. As he moved back to the target he told me he wouldn't believe what just occurred if he hadn't seen and heard it himself. The second round had passed through the same hole, expanding the original hole at the bottom by about 10%. It audibly reported with a "ting".

He told me to get ready to send another. I quickly informed him my rifle was already half way packed. Done. I'll take that.

Another friend referred to the above as two different systematic processes with very similar outcomes and, he said, usually people consider that "skill". I consider it an anomaly, a fluke. Nonetheless, it certainly speaks to the quality of Shawn's rifles and expertise - even if human error and luck accounted for a successful series of events.

For a guy whose only previous 1000+ yard shooting was with a .50, DE's Canyon rifle sure has me hooked. I'm excited for the years to come shooting this gem, and would highly recommend giving Shawn and Defensive Edge consideration for your next build.

God bless,
SH

Attachments

• IMG_3310.jpg
    IMG_3310.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20130131_140034.jpg
    IMG_20130131_140034.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 27
Terry,

Currently, I don't have access to a chronograph. The load I built was the one recommended by Shawn. I'll have time this spring to play with the Bergers.
Per the DE website:

Bullet: Sierra 300 gr. SMK
Case: Remington
Primer: CCI 250
Powder: H1000
Charge: 90.0 gr.
OAL: 3.785"
Velocity: 2811 fps

SH

I have also found the 338 Edge canyon rifle i got from Shawn this year an exceptional rifle. Not only the finish,but it shoots better than one can expect.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts