Test Driving The Defensive Edge LRMK 338 EDGE + P

Scott, I had concerns about cheek weld before I mounted this rifle. It just does not look like there is much there. I have what I call an anchor point where my cheek bone rides the cheekpiece on my long range rigs. I developed this hold because only one of my rifles has an adjustable cheek piece. I needed a repeatable hold and cheekweld that I could go to for every shot, and it works. If you are a bow shooter you know the importance of your draw hand being in the same place evertime (anchor point). Some use a "kisser button" in the corner of the mouth. I use a knuckle on my ear lobe. My cheek weld I have practiced for long range rifle is just as important. I was pleasantly surprised when the LRMK fell right into my normal cheekweld. If it hadn't I would have never put two into 1/2 moa at these distances without developing a new hold.

The rear of the stock.... I don't know if Shawn planned this but here is how I see it with my limied amount of shooting the LRKM. The back of the stock has a loop with a flat bottom. That loop is large enough to get your hand through. This offers a couple options. 1: The conventioal hold of the bag with my left hand. I always put the bag simply under the stock and my hand also under squeezing the bag. This will be good when shooting on the flat or down hill with the LRKM. 2: In a field position like pictured above, where you are shooting at a pretty good angle up you don't need much bag. Now add your hand under there and it is too much. So you can do as I was and lay your hand through the loop palm down and grasp the bag. Once I tightend my grip on the bag the rifle became very solid and the crosshairs were very stable. That position shooting up hill that far away can be a little tough, but even with the bipod up all the way it was very much solid on target.

I don't feel I would ever eliminate the use ofthe rear bag completely. But I do feel that this rifle would benefit from a little differet bag and also in most cases it could be a smaller one. But to be sure of that I would want to shoot the rifle in many more field positions and re-evaluate. I think Shawn and Bob are also of this frame of mind and may be working on a custom bag design.

In talking with a few long range shooters it seems there are several of us that are of the same mind set. So I will be blunt and admit the looks of this rifle was not my cup of tea. Well... not at first anyway. To me there are few LR hunting rifles that are better looking that the DE Canyon Rifles. They are beautiful with the added bonus of being bad to the bone at sending projectiles to the next hillside even when a ELR shot is required. I have seen it too many time to ignore. Plus they are repeaters. But with the longer shots becoming more of a reality in my world, the fact I haven't loaded a mag box for 4 years now, and the progression of rangfinders and ballistic programs in the last few years, I felt the need to look past my old school taste and look at my practical needs for these shots. Once I grabbed the LRMK and carried it a ways, then crawled behind it, the military design of it was starting to make a lot of sense. Then when I spotted the dust ball off a rock after a long wait for the Berger to go 2550 yards the love affair was on.

Like Shawn has said before. " The LRKM is not for everybody " But I sure am glad I remained optimistic about this rifle. I now have no second thoughts about it advancing my skill and success rate in the world of ELR.

Jeff

Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for.

The single shot issue is the only thing I have to get by now. That will be a first for me. I can't remember the last time I have needed a repeater for a hunt but I do hunt in predator-ville and have always liked the concept of being able to quickly pump out 3 or 4 shots if needed. An upgrade to my sidearm may be necessary. What's a few more dollars!

Scot E.

Its interesting... My 338-408 gets 3200fps from the 300gr. (accuracy node) yes it can be pushed harder.. but for what???

Point is.. your getting 3130 from a much smaller platform and rig and without the need for a custom action (408) in general and using "over counter" brass... in my mind.. this is a win! congratz! :Dgun)

Broz,

About the improved stability. I've been wondering whether the LRKM has a longer distance between butt rest and bipod than regular rifles?

That is, if this distance is greater then it creates a longer 'parallelogram' of bracing than other rifles?

Also I wonder whether having the muzzle relatively closer to the front rest improves tracking - something then benchrest guys might know more about?

Matt

Broz,

About the improved stability. I've been wondering whether the LRKM has a longer distance between butt rest and bipod than regular rifles?

That is, if this distance is greater then it creates a longer 'parallelogram' of bracing than other rifles?

Also I wonder whether having the muzzle relatively closer to the front rest improves tracking - something then benchrest guys might know more about?

Matt

Good points Matt. I don't have the measurement of the bipod to rear rest, Maybe Shawn will chime in here a give us that number.

I was thinking it was more of a balance thing, but you bring up good points.

Jeff

Thanks.

Just wondering whether there may be any difference in the physics of the recoil phase due to the different ergonomics of the stock design.

Matt

The bipod to rear of the rifle distance is only an inch or two longer than a conventional rifle, the thing that makes it track and shoot easier i sthe fact that 85% of the weight is behind the bipod instead of in front of it. If you scale a conventional rifle at the rear where the bag rides it doesn't weigh much the LRKM puts 3 to 4 times as much weight down on the rear bag making it easier to track well. The overall balance is very neutral making offhand shooting much easier if it is necessary.

Thanks Shawn,

Good to know that tail heavy makes for a solid ride on the bags.

Now I'm curious to know if extending a forestock to near the muzzle would influence ride and accuracy?

Although if it was a significant then the benchrest guys would probably all be running stocks or tubes that finished at the muzzle.

Cheers,

Matt

Well it is in the works and I have my place in line for a LRKM. Just a few details to discuss on the build. I am stoked and looking forward to this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff gun)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just seen this post. Ok I have to be different you know. Even after shooting the EDGE + P and sending 300 Bergers at 3135 fps. I asked Shawn to build me something off the 338 Lapua case with his + P design. So Shawn is deciding on case taper and shoulder angle, plus we are going to blow it out to something like an AI. I trust Shawn to come up with a totally awesome chambering off the LM case just like he did with the EDGE. I am stoked!!! The new found velocity of the Plus P will send those 300 Bergers with authority and with the way the Bergers expand better than anything I have ever shot long distance, combined with their unmatched accuracy at long distances I feel very good about some long distance elk whacking.

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.