Deer weight?

115# on the hoof x 60% = 69# hanging weight as you described, 115 to 120 would be real close to what his live eight was!

Any guesses on the live weight of a buck with no guts, skin, head and lower legs cut off at 68 pounds hanging in the processor? It is an Oregon I5 corridor blacktail buck.

We've all heard distant rifle shots on opening day. Yesterday I got one. This buck made its last mistake at 8:30AM on opening day. Another Hammer success.
I was always told guts ect equal 1/3 of the weight

Any guesses on the live weight of a buck with no guts, skin, head and lower legs cut off at 68 pounds hanging in the processor? It is an Oregon I5 corridor blacktail buck.

We've all heard distant rifle shots on opening day. Yesterday I got one. This buck made its last mistake at 8:30AM on opening day. Another Hammer success.

Congrats on your successful hunt. Somebody chimed in with a figure of 60% of live weight - I think that sounds about right. I shot one down around Medford several years ago, and it was the biggest blacktail I have ever seen. The carcass weighed 117# on a meat processor's scale in Canby. He told me 225 on the hoof, but my past experience with dozens of large-bodied Minnesota whitetails put my guess at an even 200. ( I had seen the whole animal, and I was the guy who put it in the back of the pick-up. It looked & felt like a 200-pounder to me.) Anyway, my guess for you is somewhere around a hundred and a quarter.

Those Oregon blacktails are some of the best tasting venison I've had anywhere - better even than farm-fed whitetails. I wish that it was cold enough here in deer season to let a carcass hang for a couple of weeks before having to cut it up. That makes a whale of a difference in how they taste.

I'm leaving Friday to go chase them around in an area on the east slope of Mount Hood. That area has a lot of bench-leg deer, since it's right on the edge of the mule deer range. We may get into some big animals.

Double the weight of it hanging at the processor and you will be fairly close

J.E. Custom is about right for processed meat, but the carcass will be about 55 to 60% of live weight the way you describe it. It should have weighed between 110 and 125lb on the hoof. You lose about 40 to 45% of live weight when the legs at the knees, the head and the internal organs are removed.

Congrats on your successful hunt. Somebody chimed in with a figure of 60% of live weight - I think that sounds about right. I shot one down around Medford several years ago, and it was the biggest blacktail I have ever seen. The carcass weighed 117# on a meat processor's scale in Canby. He told me 225 on the hoof, but my past experience with dozens of large-bodied Minnesota whitetails put my guess at an even 200. ( I had seen the whole animal, and I was the guy who put it in the back of the pick-up. It looked & felt like a 200-pounder to me.) Anyway, my guess for you is somewhere around a hundred and a quarter.

Those Oregon blacktails are some of the best tasting venison I've had anywhere - better even than farm-fed whitetails. I wish that it was cold enough here in deer season to let a carcass hang for a couple of weeks before having to cut it up. That makes a whale of a difference in how they taste.

I'm leaving Friday to go chase them around in an area on the east slope of Mount Hood. That area has a lot of bench-leg deer, since it's right on the edge of the mule deer range. We may get into some big animals.
Good luck and good shooting.

Good luck and good shooting.

Thanks. If I happen to find a dumb one, maybe we'll be able to get him out whole and weigh the field-dressed carcass and compare to what the hanging weight is. It's all kinda variable, though, depending on how much of the legs and neck gets cut off.

NicholausJohn....said
I'm leaving Friday to go chase them around in an area on the east slope of Mount Hood. That area has a lot of bench-leg deer, since it's right on the edge of the mule deer range. We may get into some big animals.[/QUOTE]

Don't get to far from the Hwy.....there are some monster that jump back and forth over the blacktop of Hwy 26....
And don't shoot Bigfoot.....hes there....been there for many years.....

As to the bucks live weight...depends on his feed...if he was a yard buck down low he could be huge like some are suggesting.....a typical old big bodied buck in the rut whole weighed at taxidermy on the coast(prerut) was 125-130#(with guts)....no guts..about 15-20# less....
I know of maybe two bucks killed up in the valley that reached 150-160 live weight....those were swamp donkeys...fed in front of trail cameras with huge amounts of highly nutritious foods and antler growth materials...one scored 180"..which for a blacktail is giant.....i have a 150" from southern Oregon that may have weighed 110# on his death bed.....
So I will say....130#...not knowing yard buck or woodland buck.....

Here is a chart I have used for years and it has proved to be accurate within a few percentage points. I wish I could remember where I found it. The edible meat figure is a maximum. Unfortunately, at least for me, there is always some damage from the bullet or arrow that subtracts from it, plus it depends on the skill of the butcher also.

View attachment 151360

Here is a chart I have used for years and it has proved to be accurate within a few percentage points. I wish I could remember where I found it. The edible meat figure is a maximum. Unfortunately, at least for me, there is always some damage from the bullet or arrow that subtracts from it, plus it depends on the skill of the butcher also.

View attachment 151361

Here is a chart I have used for years and it has proved to be accurate within a few percentage points. I wish I could remember where I found it. The edible meat figure is a maximum. Unfortunately, at least for me, there is always some damage from the bullet or arrow that subtracts from it, plus it depends on the skill of the butcher.

upload_2019-9-30_13-55-23.png

Thanks for the chart.

This deer was a long way from farms and homes on a chunk of BLM. What surprised me is it had a little fat both inside and outside the body cavity.

For those interested I used my 6.5 Coyle wildcat firing Hammer Sledgehammer 130 at 3,190 per second average. The range was 120 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.