Dedicated Medium game caliber?

matt_3479

What is your personal favorite cartridge for hunting Medium size game out too 800 yards? If this rifle will only be used for game such as Whitetail, Mule, pronghorn and possibly caribou (not a tough animal to kill) what would you have as a dedicated medium game rifle. I know the 6.5 cals are popular and the 7mm's and just curious what people are using.

2 calibers come to mind, and both loaded with the same powder and bullets, and they're only about 150fps apart. It just depends on if you want to go standard caliber, or magnum caliber... You can buy good factory loaded ammo (Nosler) for both.

Standard - .280 Ackley Improved
Magnum - 7mm Remington Magnum

My next build will be a .280 Ackley, not only because it's one of my absolute favorite calibers, but because it will also complete my triad of standard Ackley calibers, as I already have a .25-06 Ackley and a .30-06 Ackley.

I handload, and I shoot the Berger 168 VLD's backed by 7828 SSC powder, and Fed primers in Nosler brass for my 7mm RemMag. I will most likely be using the same components for my .280 AI once I start that project. I just finished building 2 rifles, so I have alot on my plate for now with load development and stuff. It might be a while before I jump into another build. Hopefully everything will pan-out and I can build it before deer season 2014 starts.

I really like the old 7mm Rem Mag. It has the blend of case capacity to be great at longer range. The 284 Win That the former poster recommended is a forgotten caliber that is hard to get brass for, That is to bad. The 280 ackley that Nosler and everyone else is touting is nothing over and above compared side by side with the 284 Winchester. Many of the F class guys are winning with the 284 for its short stature and inherent accuracy. Its really a great efficient long range caliber. I really consider it the first short mag!

I like what ever caliber you can shoot accurately and put the bullet in the boiler room. The animal does not care if it is a 6.5 7mm or 30 cal. by limiting the yardage to 800 yards I like the 260 Remington, very little recoil, plenty of energy to kill med size game to 1000 yards. If you would be looking to take game out to 1 mile I would recommend the 300 Norma. Good luck let us know what your choose and why

I have really enjoyed my 264 WM. This past year was the first year I put it to the test but we took 5 animals making up 4 different species. We took two antelope, one mule deer, one elk and one moose ranging in yards from 266 to 850. The moose was the close animal and the elk was the long one.

The gun is sending 140 grn Bergers at 3145 and has been an anchor so far.

I am a few months away from finishing a 26 Nosler build. I'm hoping that rifle becomes my favorite for medium game out to 800 yards.

If it that doesn't work out for whatever reason, I'd say my 7mm WSM would be the winner. At least that is the politically correct answer. In truth, a lot of the time I grab the 338 RUM loaded with 210 grain TTSXs. With that bullet it doesn't damage meat but will kill anything out to 800 yards. It is my only full custom rifle and is very accurate which has something to do with why I have a hard time leaving it in the truck no matter what I'm hunting. And for true long range, with RL-33 it is shooting the 300 grain Bergers at 2,750 fps with no pressure signs.

I would grab the first GOOD rifle that comes up in 270 WSM, 7WSM, 7 Rem, .284 WIN, or 30-06. The last one only makes it in because it is so versatile and a classic.

My refined answer would be .270 WSM or 7 WSM. fast, compact, with energy to boot in a short action, with a good bullet selection (just recently for the 7mm.)

I dont normally hunt deer with a rifle as my area you cant. But my neighbor bought a beautiful property a few hours north that is loaded with deer and a few night fields where shooting lanes are up to 840 yards! I was going to build a treestand/shooting platform for a good spot for a shooting position. That is the main purpose for this rifle as well as the occasional trip down to Montana for Mule/Pronghorn and the odd Caribou (have plenty other rifles for that purpose).

I dont own a 6.5 cal and have been really intrigued by them! Was considering something like a 260 rem/AI version. That being said there are probably a few better competitors then it (264, 6.5-284, 7mm wsm or larger). I already own a 300. winny for majority of hunting circumstances, i have a back up 7mm mag (standard hunting rifle) and for the light stuff a 243. win. Bascially looking for a reason to add something to the collection just undecided on caliber.

I love the 6.5s. I have a friend with a 6.5x284 and a 6.5x47. Both flat out shoot. Another friend built a 260 Rem that has anchored several antelope. Another buddy has a 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform that is a tack driver.

My point is, the 6.5s are a really good diamater with lots of bullets and cartridges to choose from. They certainly can hold their own in the situation you described.

Another vote for the 284 win, mine is accurate as hell at 750 yards with the 162 amaxs, 1/3 MOA consistently.

Since you have parameters of "medium game" and "800 yards max" I would be really tempted to choose a lighter caliber due to lighter recoil, good shootability, etc... The 6.5's and even the right 6mm might fit your bill, if you were so inclined... :)

I've hunted antelope to past 800 yards with my 6x47, knocking them down with just over 800 ft/lbs of retained energy. Probly pushing it a bit, just my experience and .02.

6.5 sounds really good the more I think about it... a 260 maybe??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.