Dedicated Medium game caliber?

.260 Remington! Or, if you are an experienced reloader and want to add a little bit of "cool" & unique factor to it, go with the .260 Rem Ackley Improved. :D

.260 Remington! Or, if you are an experienced reloader and want to add a little bit of "cool" & unique factor to it, go with the .260 Rem Ackley Improved. :D

I am definitely no experienced reloader but i have been reloading for the past few months and really enjoy it. I reload for the calibers i use most and expanding slowly!

I have been strongly considering the 260. rem vs the 260 Ackley Improved and haven't yet decided. Benefits to both. factory ammo incase vs more speed. Less prepping vs less wind drift.

What is your personal favorite cartridge for hunting Medium size game out too 800 yards? If this rifle will only be used for game such as Whitetail, Mule, pronghorn and possibly caribou (not a tough animal to kill) what would you have as a dedicated medium game rifle. I know the 6.5 cals are popular and the 7mm's and just curious what people are using.
7mm STW hands down.gun)

Just like one of the beer commercials used to say, "Always a good decision..."

The 7mmSTW is still my favorite caliber, but I have quite a few tagging along at its heals.
Well I've got a dozen other rifles in a half dozen other calibers that would get the job done but he did ask for our favorites... .gun)

Never spent any time with the 7mm STW but it sure is a cannon! Would love to do some hunting with one but not what I'm looking for unfortunately

6.5x284- Cool factor

7mm Rem mag, Good old stand by with tons of ammo option.

The 7mm I have now I might turn into a lighter weight stalking rifle. But gotta decide if I want a standard 7mm mag or run a wsm instead. I know ballistically there basically identical but the wsm has less powder, and can perform on a lighter small platform. Then again the rem mag has the advantage with the 180 bergers, and way way better factory ammo if need be

But thinking for now going short action and that's why I'm considering the 260 rem or AI since I don't have a 6.5 cal! Thinking of running something like defiance deviant action, bartlein 26" barrel, jewel trigger and either McMillan a5 or htg gotta figure out that as well

The 7mm I have now I might turn into a lighter weight stalking rifle. But gotta decide if I want a standard 7mm mag or run a wsm instead. I know ballistically there basically identical but the wsm has less powder, and can perform on a lighter small platform. Then again the rem mag has the advantage with the 180 bergers, and way way better factory ammo if need be
You're only talking a couple of ounces difference in the weight of the rigs, five at most.

Most of the guys shooting the short magnums using VLD's are building them on long actions anyhow to get the magazine length necessary to seat them properly and to maximize case volume.

The problem with opinion polls is most often the answers are simply that, an opinion.
There are no doubt numerous cartridges capable of an 800 yd kill on the animals
described. Some mentioned could at least arguably be borderline in "my opinion".
Problem with hunting, and especially long range hunting is we dont get to choose
distance. It is what it is and the only decision we have is wether we shoot or dont shoot. Human behavior being what it is i think most would consider their "ability"
and shoot. These stories often end up as untold stories. My "opinion" is have more gun than you think you need.

The problem with opinion polls is most often the answers are simply that, an opinion.
There are no doubt numerous cartridges capable of an 800 yd kill on the animals
described. Some mentioned could at least arguably be borderline in "my opinion".
Problem with hunting, and especially long range hunting is we dont get to choose
distance. It is what it is and the only decision we have is wether we shoot or dont shoot. Human behavior being what it is i think most would consider their "ability"
and shoot. These stories often end up as untold stories. My "opinion" is have more gun than you think you need.
+1

...that and the fact that I like bang/flops (I usually hunt public land) is why I'll take a big 7 (7stw or 7rum) or 30 (300win or 300rum) out even to shoot a smallish whitetail. If it's in the slats or neck it's dead with no meat loss and a bigger caliber is a bigger hole to let more blood out and air in.
If I had elk on the menu too a big 338 may even be great, though you are getting decidedly over a dedicated medium caliber by then. Yobuck is very correct that you want a bit more than your minimum threshold because of factors beyond your control. If you had 'em tied up I'd say a good 24 or 25 cal. as they are a bit cheaper to run. A larger 6.5 (6.5 '06 or bigger) should be your floor IMO and a bigger 30 should be your ceiling. Your choice may be something no one has posted yet as it's a wide window.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.