Dedicated Medium game caliber?

I built a 280 AI for exactly that. So far I'm very impressed with the rifles performance on paper and the recoil is very light. I can't wait to take some animals with it. It's more than enough for deer and will work great for a backup elk rifle.

6.5 Creedmoor gets the nod for me hands down. Mine is dead nut accurate and its a devestating round on deer and bear. My second choice would be the 7RM.

That 6.5 creedmoor is a beautiful round! And keeps me very interested! If brass was easier to get, factory ammo was possible to locate then I'd consider it. It's the same thing for the 6.5x47 lapua! Something about that round I'd love! But it's to hard to beat the 260 for brass and ammunition availability. Plus the AI version is getting better and better in my mind!

That 6.5 creedmoor is a beautiful round! And keeps me very interested! If brass was easier to get, factory ammo was possible to locate then I'd consider it. It's the same thing for the 6.5x47 lapua! Something about that round I'd love! But it's to hard to beat the 260 for brass and ammunition availability. Plus the AI version is getting better and better in my mind!
Same reasoning that led me to the .260 as well.

Of course now I want another one LOL. It is a great little round, and the Creedmore is very close in performance too, but the availability of components and factory ammo is what sold me and I haven't regretted my decision at all.

Forty five or fifty years ago if you had ridden the back roads thru the canyon area
of pa you would have found small groups of long range hunters. If you had taken this poll then you would have found the most popular cartridge was the 6.5x300 weatherby.
Reason for that was that norma sold a very good 139 gr match bullet for the 6.5.
There were almost no other good long range bullets available.
Im guessing late 60s when hornady introduced the 162 gr match hpbt bullet. Within a few years most of those hunters had rebarreled to 7x300 weatherby.
Today if you would take that same ride you would find even more long range hunters there and other areas thruout that region.
If i were to give you five dollars for each 6.5 of any configuration you found along the way i doubt you could buy yourself dinner even at mickey ds.
Some of those you will encounter will also be williamsport shooters. They will be very familiar with the 6mms and 6.5s and no doubt some will own and use them for 1000 yd target shooting.
These type questions are best answered by the people who specialize in building the guns and who themselves are experienced long range hunters.
There is no shortage of them on this and other forums like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.